Beware of purchasing from Clearview Shields - member opinion - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Beware of purchasing from Clearview Shields - member opinion

A disappointing sales experience with ClearView Shields. Ordered product 1-23-12, and encountered delay after delay, before finally receiving a call from the owner, advising me the windshield, now completed, had a flaw, and then went on to try to sell it to me with a discount. I’m particular with my property and would not accept a flawed product. He advised he would fast track another and get it out the following week. In retrospect, I should have cancelled the order at that time.

Finally received the windshield, 2-17-12. Once opened, it was found to be wrapped from top to bottom with some sort of heavy taped wrapping - with a large “STOP” sticker advising not to remove the wrapper, when test driving. I thought very unusual a company would encourage someone to install a totally blocked windshield, and try to test drive it. Even so, I gave it a try. I was unable to see anything, except the side of the road. Major safety hazard. Returned home and removed the wrapping, assuming the product would perform as represented. Upon unwrapping, I thought it strange the plastic had light swirls incorporated into it. Once installed, the swirls were not visible looking through it, so I decided this was simply typical of the manufacturing process this company must use, and that all their products were probably subject to the same swirl patterns.

The windshield, however, failed to perform as represented. Windshield gust effects were just a prevalent as with the OEM unit. The windshield was at least 4 to 5 inches wider than the OEM unit, creating unacceptable wind resistance going forward, and subjected the motorcycle to crosswind instability.

I returned home, attempted to contact the sales rep, by telephone, and received only voice mail - which was typical when calling. I left a voice message, followed by an email message, advising I would be repackaging the windshield and returning it. Not hearing back, the following morning I shipped the unit. Later he responded, and I explained the reason I returned the windshield. At the same time, I explained why I had returned the wrapping, due to safety reasons.

When preparing the windshield for repackaging, I took two separate photographs of the windshield, clearly showing there was no damage to the item, at the time of shipping. I enclosed a copy of those photographs with my follow up email message. The windshield was carefully enclosed within two separate large plastic bags, and then buffered from movement, by use of the original packaging material, and packed within the same container it was received in. The package was received at the factory on 2-28-12. Apparently received in good condition, as I was not advised otherwise.

On, 3-2-12, following two separate communications with the sales rep, asking about the return inspection, and subsequent refund, I received an email advising I was to be charged a 30% penalty for removing the wrapping on the windshield, and for returning it with swirls in the plastic. The penalty was referred to as “restocking fee”.

This effort, to try out a Clearview Shields product, has proven not only to be frustrating, from beginning to end, but expensive, as UPS charges, cost $66.97, and add to that the arbitrary 30% penalty for, not liking, and then returning the item, has cost a non-refunded total of $113.08.

I would caution prospective customers to be extremely wary of such sales practices. In my opinion, this is not a reputable company with which to conduct business. The product I tested was not satisfactory, and I was penalized a full 30% of the sales price - plus shipping costs both ways, for returning the item

Read more: http://forums.motorcyclecruiser.com/...#ixzz1oTTGlHFz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 07:42 PM

Sorry about your experience, but this is the kind of feedback we can all use. If enough people get wind of service like that and take their business elsewhere, this can affect a company's balance sheet and cause them to shape up.

I always us my Amex when making a purchase like that, cuz if that happened to me and I called the rep and said just what you said in your post, I'd get ALL my money back. They have excellent customer service.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 10:53 PM

Location: rainy side of washington state now reside in Blackfoot,Idaho
Thanks for the feed back.That's great info for people to base a sale on.Before I purchase something I rely on the customer feed comments to base my decision. Thanks

2007 Stratoliner S
Reckless batwing
Sony am/fm cd mp3 4 speakers w/500 watt amp,8in sub
12 inch ape hanger bars
Roadhouse slip on exhaust
K&N air filter with lid mod
Cobra Fi2000 powrpro auto tuner
Kuryakyn mustache bar
Corbin low profile solo seat
LED running lights front and rear
21 inch chrome raider front wheel
200 tire on the rear
113 Hd eating tire smoking cubic inches
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 02:54 PM

Hey, get a hold of BBB, maybe they could do something?? The restocking fee is bullshit. If I see an online vendor trying to do that - i immediately avoid them.

Man, i would have canceled my order if it hadnt shipped out after a week, lol.

2013 H-D FXS Blackline
2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
1980 XS650 Bob (in progress)
1981 XS650

USMC - 0331 - OEF
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 10:47 AM

Another point of view.

I had a good experience with Clearview, other than the time it takes to make the product on demand. Mine arrived with the typical plexi plastic for protection during the install and test ride. It was clear, with the mentioned sticker. I had no problem, as I look over the top of my 14" recurved shield. The plastic is supposed to protect the shield if you decide you don't like it or it don't fit right or whatever if you need to send it back. I deal with aircraft canopies and windshields also, they all come with a protective film on both sides. We drill and mount them, test fit and all, then once everything is correct then we pull the plastic film off the product. Now I can't answer to the imperfections in your shield, but mine is clear and after 9500 miles of wind blast and wind loading, it still looks good. I clean it with a good lint free cloth and goop just for plexiglass.
It's installed (3 holes) on a MS batwing and a Strat S that will still hit 125 in a blink with my big ass doing the twisting and it's still pulling pretty hard. I'm 6'6" and 298.
Just my input.
Good luck.

07 Stratoliner S with MS Batwing, MS lowers, Buck lowers, custom large trunk rack, King tourpack trunk, air horn, See me Now tail light and headlight pulser mods. Led lighting all over. Night rider tail light setup on the trunk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode