GPS Navigation - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to Suburo
GPS Navigation

I bought a mount for my Garmin Nuvi 265t and got power to it on my bike, and I must say its really nice to have. However, the problem I'm having is that the gps only gives me the shortest or the quickest route, which may not necessarily be the route i want to take. I'd like to be able to plan out a trip (preferably on google maps, but it doesnt really matter), and then put that on my gps.

I also have an android phone (Droid X) with a dock that I could put there if I really wanted, but I dont really like the navigation app on the phone.

Anyone got any suggestions? How do yall go about your trips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 10:19 AM

Garage
Depending on how long of a ride I plan on taking, I set my end points to gas stations on the route I want to take. I typically need a break (mainly to stretch out my back) every 50-60 miles so I look (on google maps) for the nearest gas station around, get the address and put it on my GPS.

If I know the route will be less than 120 miles, I would get X/Y coordinates and use that as my endpoint.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 08:49 AM

I have a Tom-Tom in my car, so ymmv. But anyway, once the unit has determined the quickest route, you should be able to customize the route. The unit should show you a list of the routes used in the route and you can click on the ones you want to avoid, such as interstates, turnpikes, etc. Check your manual and there should be a way to do this. Hope this helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Well I can tell it to avoid highways and tolls, which I do. But I still have no way to tell it "I want to take this route, show me how".

For example, the other day I took a ride down a smaller highway to a house I was looking at buying (missed my chance ). Everytime I passed a road that would take me back to the main highway, it would tell me to take it and get back on the main highway, even though the road I was on would take me straight there.

I think im going to change it to shortest route instead of quickest and see if that helps. It wont do exactly the route I want, but hopefully at least it will stop trying to put me back on the major roads.

Thanks for the input!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 03:01 PM
krb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburo View Post
Well I can tell it to avoid highways and tolls, which I do. But I still have no way to tell it "I want to take this route, show me how".

For example, the other day I took a ride down a smaller highway to a house I was looking at buying (missed my chance ). Everytime I passed a road that would take me back to the main highway, it would tell me to take it and get back on the main highway, even though the road I was on would take me straight there.
On my wife's garmin I can tell it a from and a to, then I can tell to pass certain points along the way. It's been a few months since I looked at it but I was able to create a route like you are talking about.

Really though, for most of my rides I go to maps.google.com, plan out a route and print out the map and put it in a map pouch that has magnets so it stays on top of the tank. I tend to use GPS more for things like finding the nearest gas station along the way. That and things like when riding to stuff for work, where I need to get to a specific address and I'm not looknig for a good ride.

Last edited by krb; 03-15-2012 at 03:05 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 03:54 PM

Garage
Quote:

I think im going to change it to shortest route instead of quickest and see if that helps. It wont do exactly the route I want, but hopefully at least it will stop trying to put me back on the major roads.

Thanks for the input!
Oohhh, be careful with that avoid highways, for some reason my GPS seems to think any road with more than 2 lanes is a highway and off I go into the back, back roads. Seems to like dirt roads quite a bit. I've found more dirt roads since getting the GPS than I thought still existed in GA, NC, and TN.

BLUE BIKE CLUB
Southern Chapter

2009 Vstar 950 - Ultimate Solo Seat, Full Fairing, 3-1" risers, Air Horn!!, Paladin removable sissy bar with luggage rack, Hard Bags and a Mustache Bar.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I also have an android phone (Droid X) with a dock that I could put there if I really wanted, but I dont really like the navigation app on the phone.
why not visit the app market and get another nav app? i have 3 different ones on my phone
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 10:38 AM
krb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
why not visit the app market and get another nav app? i have 3 different ones on my phone
Exactly. The one and only app that I'd be willing to pay for is a GPS app that actually downloads the maps to the phone. Most of them, including the ones that ship on the phone, need an internet connection to download the maps as needed which would suck if you are enjoying a twisty mountain road that takes you out of cell signal range. I haven't download one since I haven't been taking any longer rides lately, but I will be installing one before summer.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
Hmm, I guess I could give that a try. I was hoping to use the GPS, since it seems to look a little better, and I dont really like the idea of having my phone out in the open. I'll go a-searchin later today.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Hmm, I guess I could give that a try. I was hoping to use the GPS, since it seems to look a little better, and I dont really like the idea of having my phone out in the open. I'll go a-searchin later today.

I plan on getting a mount and power supply for my GPS. Like you I don't want to use my phone. After flying over the hood of a van years ago with my phone in my tank bag, I now keep it on me (zipped into a pocket in my riding jacket) in the event I am seperated from my bike and need to make an important call........

Star Touring and Riding
Cleveland Chapter 178

Current
2010 Stratoliner Deluxe

Former Bike
2011 V Star 950
Cobra Passenger Backrest
Kuryakyn Black ISO Grips w/ Throttle Boss
Kuryakyn Passenger Floor Boards
V&H Slip on Exhuast
Mephis Shades Batwing
Back Off Brake Light Module
L&M Chin Scoop
Cobra FI2000R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode