Surprise! A funny story. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 03:44 AM Thread Starter

Surprise! A funny story.

So I was on my way home from work tonight when I noticed that one of my running lights wasn't on. Of course I pulled over to find out what was going on, assuming that the light bulb burnt out, only to find the the left running light hanging off to the side (first pic)....It had vibrated off of the mount lol. Luckily I keep a couple things in my saddle bags for emergency repairs, one of which is electrical tape. I taped the top and bottom lights together and drove home. Honestly, I was pretty surprised at how well it worked; after 10 more miles of driving I got home and everything was still securely in place. I reattached the light housing and tightened the nut that holds it in place. After fixing that problem I realize that the other running light was loose. So I tightened that one down too...well I ended up shorting out the circuit because I had the live wire just barely exposed and it grounded out...oops. So I had to take everything apart again electrical tape the exposed portion of wire and put everything back together again. Now I have to wait til morning to go get a replacement fuse, but everything worked out ok. The moral of the story: Check your running lights every so often

So, what are some things that you guys keep on your bike for emergency repairs (other than tools)?

I keep electrical tape, rags and zip ties.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5006.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	42754   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5005.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	42762   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5012.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	42770  

'02 V Star 1100 Silverado - "Chloe"
Maxair Flamewires replacement power cables
Maxair Idle Mixture Screws
Cobra Slash Cut Slip-on Pipes
Pro-One Pullback Risers with Tachometer
Custom Clock
Custom Passing Lamps
Custom World Driver's Backrest
Yamaha/Corbin Studded seat with concho
Cobra Passenger Floorboards
Kuryakyn Hypercharger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 07:01 AM

A little blue Loctite maybe?? Glad you had the necessary quick fix with you. I always carry electrical tape and bungee cords in the bags. So far lucky and haven't needed them, but you all know Murphy's Law is quick to assert itself

2014 Stratoliner Deluxe

A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop. - Robert Hughes
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 08:17 AM
Lifetime Premium

Thread reminds me to redo the wife's license plate mount. She didn't know what the 'springs' where for on the reflective bolts when she put her plate on.

Vibration is a cruel mistress. I 2nd some blue loctite on those lights.

I need to think about emergency fix items like tape and zipties, and get a c02 tire kit on order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigrzeye View Post
So far lucky and haven't needed them, but you all know Murphy's Law is quick to assert itself
I've been lucky, needa get a kit together before it wares out.

.:'09 Vstar 950T:.

VOTE for the BikeOfTheMonth It only takes a moment and you get to check out a bunch of great scoots! Participate all you rascals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 08:04 PM

Can't say enough about duct tape. also matches or bic lighter. I keep a small 1x4 block of wood, for when i have to park on not so solid ground.
plus what you guys already mentioned, and some rain suits.

Now 2010 V STAR 950 T
Former bikes were
1982 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim
1977 Harley Iron Head Sportster
1970 Triumph 500 Hard Tail Chopper
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Ya I keep bungee cords on my bike too. I only bring my rain gear if I'm going on a long ride or if there is above a 20% chance of rain in my area. I really should invest in a CO2 tire kit though, that would have come in handy a month or so back when I got a flat on the freeway =( I also forgot to mention that I keep a knife on the bike too in case I have to deal with wires.

'02 V Star 1100 Silverado - "Chloe"
Maxair Flamewires replacement power cables
Maxair Idle Mixture Screws
Cobra Slash Cut Slip-on Pipes
Pro-One Pullback Risers with Tachometer
Custom Clock
Custom Passing Lamps
Custom World Driver's Backrest
Yamaha/Corbin Studded seat with concho
Cobra Passenger Floorboards
Kuryakyn Hypercharger
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 07:55 AM

I keep a microfiber towel and a can of Plexus so when I stop I can clean the windscreen. I probably should at least put the toolkit back on top on the battery...or at least keep it in one of the bags along with some tape, dikes, flashlight, and some replacement bulbs. Maybe even a basic tire kit. I mean, the bags aren't doing anything else. Why not? It would only add a couple pounds.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 05:08 PM
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
After reading this thread I have to admit I have a tool bag but none of the other items mentioned. I think the best ones to have are the zip ties, electrical tape, Wire cutters (which can double as stripper, crimper) Some butt splices, A length of extra shielded wire would be handy. (if not need for electrical repair it could be used as a wire tie.)
A fuse puller, Extra fuses, Rag, small spray bottle for the windshield for sure.

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 07:44 PM

Surprise! A funny story.

We have small plastic storage boxes, one for phone cords & cords for the Bluetooth on the helmets. Another with tools ( pliers, side cuts, Allen wrenches, some sockets, screwdrivers, open end wrenches.) A small first aid kit. A battery powered inflator/ tire gauge. A large "survival" type knife. A couple small LED flashlights. 2 or 3 kick stand plates ( in case someone needs one). And when I remember to charge it, my Micro Start battery pack for jump start if needed. Need to remember to add electrical tape and wire ties. All that, and still enough room for a jacket or two! But not much else, lol

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Last edited by metalmom_of_2; 04-13-2015 at 07:51 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 09:34 PM
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
Ahhhhh, I have the perfect knife.... Glad you reminded me of it.

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 07:20 AM

I will have to admit that other than the stock tool bag provided with the bike I don't carry a single item like tools, emergency gear, etc. Not that there is anything wrong with it I just choose not to. I don't carry tools in my car or truck either. Never have and probably never will. As far as the bike, I hardly ever get more than a couple hrs. from home. If I breakdown, I will call the wife or a friend to grab my trailer and come get me. Other times that I am farther from home I have always been with others. Honestly breaking down is not something I worry about. Worst case I call a wrecker and let him haul me home. To each his own I guess!

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode