New Bike - Went down on Sunday - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

New Bike - Went down on Sunday

I am 28 years old and have been riding motorcycles in the dirt and on the street since I can remember. I have had dirt bikes and sport bikes in the past and wanted to get back into the hobby.

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a 2007 Vstar 1300 tour and was loving it after taking off the windscreen. It has 2100 original miles on it and was covered in the garage. I went everywhere on it and was getting comfortable. I went on a bunch of short rides with my girlfriend on the back and she was loving it as well. She has been riding dirt bikes her whole life and her family rides so she is a seasoned street passenger.

On Sunday, we (my girlfriend and I) and my buddy (riding a Victory) started in Fair Oaks, California and road to Ione, Commanche, and all over the back roads. We decided it was time to head home and jumped on Twin Cities Road to head back to HWY 99. Everything was great. The road is long and very straight and I was following him at the speed limit. All of a sudden, the back of the bike kicked out and we were wobbling. There was no way to save it so I mashed the breaks and put us in the grassy shoulder. We went down at what I think was about 35mph.

I am a huge proponent of All the Gear All the Time so we were both fully suited up with full face helmets. We both got up and walked away. She has a sprained shoulder and I have a couple of broken ribs from hitting the handlebars. We both know it could have been a lot worse.

My question is, has anyone on a Vstar ever had this happen? I went back to the spot where is happened and did not find any gravel or oil. I also have never had this happen on any other bike. I had checked the tires and pressure before the ride.

Any input would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 06:40 PM
Elk

The only time I've heard that kind of thing described it was a flat tire. Maybe a snall-ish animal that was able to get off the road? I'm sure others will have a better idea of what it could have been. Glad you are mostly OK.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 08:47 PM

Garage
Hey ns,
First off, glad you both were able to walk away with only minor injuries. I had a similar incident a very long time ago on my Honda dream 150. It was my rear tire that went flat rather quickly. I had checked my tires right before this happened, so I was stumped at the time. Again I'm glad you're both ok. Was there any damage to your bike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Yes there was damage to the bike. It's in the shop now. Insurance is taking care of it.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 11:54 PM

I have an 09 Vstar 1300 and can say I've never experienced such. There may be a more experienced Op that can point to a cause but these bikes aren't known to have any inherent problems. Are the tires original? I'm assuming they are considering the low miles. I'd replace them immediately as they've aged out, regardless of the minimal prior use.

I'm glad you and your passenger walked away and hope your injuries heal quickly!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 05:53 AM

Garage
i'st glad your in pretty good shape but now you'll find out that you'll end up sleeping in a recliner for the next couple months as i when i went down last summer, 2nd time in 45 yrs of riding. the only thing that comes to mind is being the bike is 5 yrs old i would be suspicious of the tires being somewhat dry rotted. i change mine every 2-3 yrs tops. better safe then sorry. now a word of advice, don't laugh, cough or sneeze or you'll think you just died an went to hell. good luck an get well quick.

POW/MIA Chairman
Lehigh Valley Chp.415
Vietnam Veterans
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 07:18 AM

Have you checked EVERYTHING in the rear of the bike itself? Are any fasteners loose, bearings/bushings worn? I would go through the entire bike, or pay someone to do it and pretty much inspect everything.
Most importantly I'm glad to hear you guys are ok. Obviously it could have been much worse.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 07:25 AM

You didn't actually say it, but it sounds to me as if the rear tire failed. Just as a matter of interest, I think I would want to weigh the bike, front and rear, with the same load it had on it. That is, you and your girlfriend, with whatever you were wearing at the time, plus anything you might have had in or on the bike (saddlebags, whatever). I would then look at the sidewall of the tire for its load rating. It is easy to overload a motorcycle or its tires.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

The tires are original but had no signs of cracking. The bike is at Capitol Yamaha in Sacramento now. I am having them go through the entire bike to see if there was any mechanical malfunction as well as replace all of the broken parts. Insurance is taking care of the parts and pieces. I am also going to have them replace the tires.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 01:23 PM

Was the tire flat after the accident?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode