Just learned a lesson and avoided disaster... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Just learned a lesson and avoided disaster...

I go to the gym..a lot. I was there about 3 hours this morning doing leg day..yea, I do leg day. That said, I can barely walk right now.

Ive been working here at the house (I work from home) and finished up about 4:30. Took out the trash, started some towels in the washing machine and went to back my Strat out of the garage for a little ride now that the weather is beautiful.

I am in a tee shirt, gym shorts and flip flops. I open the door, get on the bike, check for neutral and start to walk her back....then bang my left ankle on a roller stool and when I say ankle I mean the knob that sticks out. *$&#&*%*$(#))@($*%*% came flying out and I am sure my neighbors need a bath after hearing all that.

Meanwhile I am dropping my bike. My foot refuses to work, my legs are made of rubber (from the gym) and we are going over.

Luckily I was right at the garage door opening and I planted my left shoulder on the framework. Had I missed it, I might have gotten jammed up between the bike, garage door frame on the ground...

I pushed myself back up right with my shoulder and left arm, got off the bike and danced as my ankle throbbing kept increasing.

As I type this, my ankle looks like a black death, a sure sign that I am getting older and cant take the bumps like I used to.

Moral of the story....check around your bike GOOD before backing up. Loosing a leg while walking a bike is a good way of insuring a future paint job and maybe a new bag.

Permission to laugh as my dumbass granted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 04:50 PM

Garage
I refuse to laugh as I go to the gym as well, and yes I do legs. Now that I'm an old rooster and not a spring chicken, I also had a similar experience, however I fell against the wall as I was backing out my 950t. Fortunately I still had enough upper body strength to upright my bike and move it back where I found it. Another day i said to myself, and remembered what Clint Eastwood said in sudden impact, "A man's gotta know his limitations", and I now understand that even better. Just glad you're no worse for wear.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 06:48 PM

I wear boots....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 07:00 PM

Ouch!!! I hear you about the look around part. I've made a similar mistake before when stepping in the leaves and dirt I swept up (but failed to pickup because I couldn't immediately find a dustpan). It's amazing how slick dirt is on a hard surface.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 08:09 PM

No laughing from me.....karma has a way of catching up with a guy. As mentioned before "a man has to know his limitations". Laughing at a learning experience of a fellow biker is a sure way for limitations and karma to "conspire against a man"!

I agee. Keep the area around your motorcycle clear, sweep up the dirt/sand/leaves etc.

2013 Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety Don View Post
I wear boots....
are they made for walking?

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 10:27 PM

C'mon man, no one trains legs for three hours. Glad you saved the bike, the ankle will heal.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety Don View Post
I wear boots....
To walk your bike out of a garage into the driveway?
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 05:17 AM

Just learned a lesson and avoided disaster...

I had a similar accident or situation two years ago. I misplaced my bike on a cheap ass Jack or lift and somehow the bike tilted to one side and came off the jack. I caught the bike in time with both hands and arms (I workout too) as I'm struggling to hold the weight of the bike my arms were getting tired & my lower back hurting I just let the bike drop to the ground slowly. As I was wiping away the sweat from my head and face there was very little damage but I was pissed at myself for letting this happen.

Last edited by vstarjoe; 04-22-2015 at 05:26 AM.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsmanphil View Post
To walk your bike out of a garage into the driveway?
I do as well. Not necessarily my riding boots but a full pair of shoes. Not pointing fingers at you or anything but personally I won't throw a leg over unless I have on good shoes that will grip the floor and support me. Fear of what happened to you is exactly why I do it. Heck I don't even feel comfortable moving it across the yard with shorts on either.
From my experiences in life, not necessarily bike related, it's those tiny moments when I take things for granted and think 'Oh this won't take but a second, I'll be ok" That I always seem to either damage myself or whatever it is I'm working on.

Glad you are ok.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo

Last edited by Summer; 04-22-2015 at 07:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode