Full face helmet - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Full face helmet

Just got my first-ever full-face helmet today and took an hour ride-around to try it out.

Have to say I'm favorably disposed. After years of avoiding it, I actually quite liked it. My fears about visibility were completely wiped out - I couldn't even see the edges of the 'glass' while wearing it. Plus I'm unexpectedly a fan of the more-enclosed feeling. For a cool-evening ride, it was actually a plus to be fully-encased. I'm typically a 'fair weather only' rider, but I can see this extending my 'season' by a few weeks or a month on each end...

I'm certainly keeping my old brain-bucket style helmet, and when I want that wind-in-my-face sensation, I'll swap it out. But certainly interesting that something I felt would be a 'sacrifice to safety' turned out to be something I like.

Only issue was fogging up if I don't leave it open a crack. Any suggestions there? Slap some Fog-X on it? Other?

Thanks,

Casey

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 07:47 PM

I prefer to keep my face shield up a click to prevent the fogging on all but the coldest days. That fog is moisture that I'd rather leave the helmet. I'm thinking of going the other direction to a 3/4 or 1/2 helmet for summer.

2013 Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 08:11 PM

Garage
Casey I've used the rain-x anti fog on the inside of mine with good results, and I use regular rain-x on the outside for easy bug removal. Now I live in a fairly humid area, so the stuff helps me.
JonMaz2112 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 05:30 AM

Crack it. Adds some noise but no big deal. Or look for an upgrade to a fog-free shield. If you will be using your FF frequently, you're going to want more than one shield anyway.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 07:41 AM
Lifetime Premium

Welcome to the debunked myths of helmets, and why people mistakenly don't wear them. Coming from a guy in a no helmet state. I like my full faced modular for many reasons. No wind in my eyes, at least compared to glasses, never tried goggles. No bumblebees smacking my mouth and making my face numb. After cleaning bug carcasses off my helmet, I now know what was on my face. I have the built in drop down shade, which is wonderful and that alone is worth its weight in gold. And since I have the modular, I can flip the entire thing up for long stops, or while I'm doning gear/backing out of my carport, etc, talking, smoking, drinking, while filling up gas, etc. I've seen pics and heard first account stories of face damage. I'll never NOT wear a full faced. Perhaps parade-type things. Also wind noise is reduced, which is a long term consideration for hearing loss. I'm already half deaf from the Army, I don't wanna wear a hearing aid when I'm 45.

And you're entirely right. These helmet guys know what they're doing, its human anatomy, you cannot see with your peripheral vision the sides of the visor. The only way you can is if you turn your eyes fully side to side, then you barely catch some of it. And of course, riding 101, turn your head, not your eyes.

Cracking it open one click clears the fog. When those conditions are out, usually its only a problem at stops, as soon as I take off I can close it and the fog stays gone... till the next stop. I also do it when its hot out, at stops, but then its usually fully open, and I close it after taking off again.

Go to your helmet manufacturers site on their care section regarding anti-fog stuff. Keeping up with re-applications on a helmet is too much work for me. Cleaning bugs off the outside isn't bad (but I'm lazy). But even removing the easy release visor on mine to wipe the inside clean is asking much. (cause I'm lazy) Even then I think the bug mess is gone now that I have a windshield, well, transferred to the shield.

.:'09 Vstar 950T:.

VOTE for the BikeOfTheMonth It only takes a moment and you get to check out a bunch of great scoots! Participate all you rascals!

Last edited by Mr Schaefer Pants; 04-23-2015 at 12:22 PM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 07:42 PM

I've worn full-face helmets since I started riding eight years ago and don't see myself doing anything different. I like the protection they provide, both crash and elements. I even wear a Hi-Viz yellow one so everybody knows I'm a dork.

I've never had any visibility concerns, I see everything I need to. For the fog I just click it open a notch when I need to. I often leave it cracked open during the summer anyway for more air flow. I've got a model with the slide-down shades built in and really enjoy it.

I'm sure some Fog-X and Rain-X would be great additions but, honestly I've just never bothered. Probably more out of forgetfulness and laziness than anything.

ETA, with a full-face helmet I can grin like an imbecile and nobody sees me!

1986 Honda VT500C - On loan to a family member
2005 Suzuki SV650 - ADV project bike
2013 V Star 950T - Newest addition to the stable

Last edited by gunnerbob; 04-23-2015 at 07:47 PM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 07:51 PM

No one has ever said to me "hey, nice half helmet". But my FF gets compliments. More safe and cool with all the options that are available.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 02:48 AM

The flip down portion in a good deal of modular helmets, I like to call fighter pilot mode. LOL.

I myself wear a modular after years of wearing a full face and they are the only two options I would ever consider.

2001 V Star 1100 Classic
Black Kuryakyn Hypercharger
Baron AIS Delete
Carbs Jetted
HID Headlight
Passing Lamps
Highway Pegs

V Star 1100 Knowledge Base

KK6UWI
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 06:33 AM

You might want to check with the maker of the helmet before you use Rain-X. Even the Rain-X bottle says it might damage some plastics. I have not tried it, but some have said Lemon Pledge furniture polish works pretty well.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 07:42 AM

Garage
Some helmets (like my Shoei X-11) have an extra vent that blows air down from the forehead pad across the inside of the faceshield. This works really well, especially when moving. Sitting at a long light on a cold day sometimes does require flipping the shield up until moving again.

2002 V-Star 1100 Classic
Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing
Dragbar Handlebars
National Cycle Cruiseliner Saddlebags
7" LED Headlight with 4.5" LED Driving Lights
Corbin Seat
Engine Guard with Kuryakyn Pegs
Chubby Intake with TimB's PMS Thumbscrews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode