Old School is NOT Cool - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Old School is NOT Cool

So, my first ride on an 80-degree day in my "old school" leather jacket was not cool... Literally. I'm soaked. Did fine riding through the mountains at 40-50, but the ride back through stop-and-go got awfully warm...

Pondering a mesh jacket for warm-weather riding. Can anyone comment on whether they're really notably cooler/more ventilated? Seem to be plenty of good armored options for $60-100, but hoping for some 'real world' feedback so I don't throw down the money and find they're just as warm.

KC

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 03:50 PM

I have my Icon mesh jacket I wear and love it! does what it needs to. It can keep the wind from making you to chilly but helps is very breathable
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 04:59 PM

I'm now wearing my second Tourmaster Air Intake (3) jacket. The only reason I'm not still wearing my original Air Intake2 is that I've gained a few pounds and needed an XL. It allows plenty of air through the mesh and here where it can easily top 110 degrees in the shade, I find it comfortable. It comes with armor in all the right places and has two liners; one for rain and the other for chilly weather.

Jeff
BLUE BIKE CLUB
2012 V-Star 950T-Impact Blue

Kuryakyn ISO grips
Back-Off taillight modulator
OEM passing lights
OEM luggage rack
OEM engine guards, saddlebag guards and trim rails
Marlin Talon gauges
Show Chrome Headlight & Passing Light visors
Mustang 2 piece wide touring seat with backrest/studs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 05:30 PM

Garage
I have the scorpion hat trick and love it. 3 in 1 jacket with armour in all the right places. Just make sure that the jacket you get is either made of Kevlar, Cordura or any other high abrasion resistant material.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 06:23 PM
eGo

What size do you wear? I have an X element mesh jacket w/armor that came with my bike that I'm looking to get rid of.. I have to check the size, but I'm pretty sure it's in the range of L-XL..
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGo View Post
What size do you wear? I have an X element mesh jacket w/armor that came with my bike that I'm looking to get rid of.. I have to check the size, but I'm pretty sure it's in the range of L-XL..
Thanks! Regrettably, I'm XXL nowadays... Well XL for "real" stuff, which typically means XXL for bike gear.

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 06:38 PM
eGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyjones View Post
Thanks! Regrettably, I'm XXL nowadays... Well XL for "real" stuff, which typically means XXL for bike gear.
Hey, no worries. It was a L.. I tried to fat man in a little coat it Friday night when I brought my bike home from my parents because I forgot my jacket.. There was no way in hell.. haha.. I was only putting myself in danger trying to get it on. Let me know what you find/decide on. I'm going to be in the market for one before the end of summer.

eGo
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 07:00 PM

I love my mesh jacket. Rarely need to but when it is brutal, you can wet them down too

Annie
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 07:18 PM

I tried to use a leather jacket during hot weather and quickly switched to a mesh jacket. Make sure you get one with waterproof lining and a zip out liner as well. A mesh jacket with a liner and a sweatshirt can do on cool mountain mornings in the late spring, summer and early fall. Being able to peel layers as the temperature goes up really helps.

2013 Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 08:11 PM

Garage
I've been looking for a riding jacket but I can never find one that fits me. I wear a XXXL and all the ones I tried on that is my size and bigger are too short in the torso area. It looks like I'm wearing a belly shirt. I gave up looking and I just wear a hoodie now. Good luck on your search.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode