Dumba$$ convinced me loud pipes 'work' today - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Dumba$$ convinced me loud pipes 'work' today

I'll admit I've always leaned toward 'loud pipes save lives' in theory, but I got 100% convinced today.

Was coming down Orr's Bridge Rd., a 35mph two-lane double-line road, fairly well trafficked. Going downhill and admittedly probably closer to 40...

Guy in a red Ford is sitting in the exit of a parking lot. He's got his phone in his face, typing away (sheesh), and is creeping forward into traffic. Like he's so preoccupied texting his foot just isn't firmly on the brake.

So I got on the brakes, downshifted and went for the horn... But before I even could hit it, the downshift "rowr!" from the pipes got him and he jerked his head up and hit the brakes.

I was stopped by then, and gave him the "Oh no... YOU go first!" wave. He proceeded on his merry, distracted way. Ugh.

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 04:15 PM

Thats one thing that pisses me off that usually doesnt make the list from bikers....Asshats that sit ready to pull out, looking at you but rolling..rolling..rolling...I call it telegraphing, basically telling me "im an and I am going to wait until you get so close its too late to react and pull out in front of you"

Ive gotten to the point that I will slow down to less than 20mph and just look at them and creep by. I have no idea if they are pulling out, why take a chance at 50,45 or 60?

Last edited by bevo1981; 05-04-2015 at 08:31 PM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyjones View Post
I

So I got on the brakes, downshifted and went for the horn... But before I even could hit it, the downshift "rowr!" from the pipes got him and he jerked his head up and hit the brakes. .
Keep that in mind. It's a skill. Anything and I mean ANYTHING, moving around in the saddle, weaving, lane change, change of speed, flash of lights, cracking the pipes, BY ANY MEANS necessary.

I'm not a loud pipe guy but I do love the sound of GOOD sounding pipes. My Strat is still stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

hitting the horn would have been quicker and projects the sound in front of your bike. whereas most of the noise from your tailpipe is projected behind you and takes longer and more effort to perform. so the instant you became concerned about that other vehicle you could have just blipped your horn at him, or laid on it while you were braking and maneuvering.

here's a fun thread:

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ght=save+lives

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 09:55 PM

Speed of sound is 761mph...exhaust noise will get there pretty quick even with the doppler effect. IMO, the horn on my strat is half useless.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

speed of completing the downshifting action after braking versus hitting the horn button...

you can always upgrade the horn

also, the horn is more synonymous with alarming people on the road. i'm sure someone out there has done a psych test to determine which sounds gain people's attention on the road better than others, and i'd put money on it that any type of horn sounds alert nearby drivers to cautionary actions moreso than loud engine sounds.

on a steel horse I ride

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
speed of completing the downshifting action after braking versus hitting the horn button...

you can always upgrade the horn

also, the horn is more synonymous with alarming people on the road. i'm sure someone out there has done a psych test to determine which sounds gain people's attention on the road better than others, and i'd put money on it that any type of horn sounds alert nearby drivers to cautionary actions moreso than loud engine sounds.
Im not going to disagree because usually that becomes internet arguing.

There is one thing that the horn does not do..slow you down. My (and any human with a reflex system) first reaction is to slow and avoid an accident. I have had one incident in my years of riding where I truly thought I was about to die and the only thing I mustered was to lock my rear tire and get the first two letters of the F-bomb out before it was over. The horn was the last thing that came to mind.

If I do manage to thumb the horn, I am always simultaneously downshifting and on the brakes.

What I need is a set of true train horns on my bike but I think that would require pulling a trailer of equipment.

Where I think pipes come in handy is unless you are clutched and coasting, your bike makes plenty of noise long before hand. Sort of like riding everywhere with your thumb planted on the horn button.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

i never said use the horn and NOT brake, or use the horn INSTEAD of revving your pipes. in the scenario described by the OP, he had time to assess the situation and apply the brakes and attempted to go for the horn. in your scenario, it sounds like you had no time to do anything other than hit the brakes or perform some kind of maneuver. my point is that people put too much emphasis on the loudness of their pipes to gain others' attention or help them be noticed or help them get out of a jam.

if your first reaction is to always hit the brakes to avoid an accident, then you're forgetting your basic MSF training. sometimes the best action is to maneuver your bike towards a safer path to avoid something. you may not have time to hit your brakes. hitting your brakes could cause the person behind you to slam into you. maybe a simple blip of the horn will alert the car about to cut you off rather than just keep going straight and hitting your brakes. when you hit your brakes, you severely limit your ability to maneuver your bike. there are several things you can do as a biker to avoid hitting other vehicles on the road, and your gut reaction shouldn't always be to just hit the brakes.

on a steel horse I ride

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 11:44 PM

Never said my first reaction is to hit the brakes...

What I said was that any human will react to slow and avoid an accident.

The point is simple, if a horn is an item that makes noise and can help you avoid an accident than how come exhaust which are typically louder than a horn and always on NOT help you avoid an accident?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 08:09 AM

Garage
i'm not convinced. heres why. some yrs back i was riding down the shore with the x on the back. i was in the right lane an a box truck in the left lane. as he was passing us he started to proceed into my lane as i wasn't there. i had loud pipes on that day an it was as though i wasn't there. luckily i had an air horn on the bike an gave it a good blast. that guy in the truck almost crawled up his divider evidently thinking it was a larger truck coming up even though the fool saw me an was passing me. i took off passed him only to see him on a cell. thats when a good air horn works better to me

POW/MIA Chairman
Lehigh Valley Chp.415
Vietnam Veterans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode