Last ride from Patagonia - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Last ride from Patagonia

It's been awhile since I've been to the forum.....an automatic email notice encouraged me to come back. So I thought I'd come back and give you an update on my bike riding status.

In January this year, with a third shoulder surgery pending, followed by a 76th birthday, I decided it was time to sell the Fatboy. It was a difficult decision to make, in that I had planned to ride him until I was 80. My last ride was on January 18th. As usual, in this part of the country, it was a pretty day for a bike ride. I decided to make it a ride to Patagonia, one of my favorite 100 mile round trips. The bike ran exceedingly well that day, almost like it knew something was up. After a cup of coffee in Patagonia, I began the return trip through Sonoita, to Sierra Vista, where I fell in behind a couple of Harley riders, wearing vests flying their colors, both with exaggerated ape hanger bars, and what sounded like gutted mufflers. I figured, from the sounds they made accelerating out of town, that I may as well lay back and let them get on up the road. I was wrong, as much to my surprise, they soon settled down to the posted speed limit, and I found myself gaining on them. After a while, I decided to go ahead and pass. Found a straight section of highway, dropped a gear, and twisted the throttle. At that moment, I remembered what it is to ride a bike, the pure exhilaration, the freedom of the road, and when I passed them by, they both waived as if they too understood. For all of us who ride, or used to ride a bike, itís an unforgettable experience. My Fatboy is now in its new home in the northern part of Montana with its 50 year old successful gentleman owner, who told me this was to be his first Harley Davidson and that he could hardly wait for it to arrive.

The parting with this bike completed a 52 year history of motorcycle riding for me, while owning 15 different bikes. In all that time, I was down only once, that was because of a tubed tire that picked up a rusty nail on a backroad in Oregonís Willamette Valley, back in the 1970s. For those of you still riding, remember age can, and will, catch up with you one day so enjoy it while you can, and sometime, on a real good day, give a thought to those of us who used to wave at you as we passed by.

Motorcycles owned since 1963: 1) 1962 Moped; 2) 1964 H/D Topper;
3) 1968 Bultaco; 4) 1969 Honda 350; 5) 1973 Yamaha 750; 6) 1975 Yamaha 650;
7) 1980 Yamaha 650; 8) 1982 Yamaha 750 4cyl; 9) 1990 H/D Dyna Convertible;
10) 1993 H/D Sportster 1200; 11) 2003 Honda 750 4cyl;
12) 2004 H/D Dyna Super Glide; 13) 2008 Susuki C50T; 14) 2012 Yamaha VStar 950; 15) 2013 H/D Fatboy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 03:35 PM

That IS a beautiful ride. I hope you were able to travel down AZ83 between I10 and Sonoita; some real nice twisties down that way. I love the rides throughout Southern Arizona. Did you ever take AZ83 all the way down to Parker Canyon Lake? Again, nice twisties. And have you ever considered a trike? I'm over 70 now and when the bike gets too much for me, I'll probably sell it and get a trike. Really, you should consider it. You don't have to give up the thrill of the ride, you just change from 2 wheels to 3. Thanks for story, and good luck whatever you decide.

Jeff
BLUE BIKE CLUB
2012 V-Star 950T-Impact Blue

Kuryakyn ISO grips
Back-Off taillight modulator
OEM passing lights
OEM luggage rack
OEM engine guards, saddlebag guards and trim rails
Marlin Talon gauges
Show Chrome Headlight & Passing Light visors
Mustang 2 piece wide touring seat with backrest/studs
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 07:33 PM

Garage
Hi leeanders,
Glad to see you return to the forum, and thanks for the great story. I love your spirit, and I hope you'll consider what Postmaster suggested in going to three wheels. Someone with your experience and your love for the thrill of the ride influences others. Good luck as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode