No Half Helmet For Me - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

No Half Helmet For Me

I've been riding with a modular full face helmet for the last 18 months since I got back into riding. I rode all last summer with that black helmet. It was HOT even with the vents opened. It was great during cooler weather and I added a balaclava for cold weather rides.

So Friday I was at the motorcycle shop and started looking for something that would provide a little more air circulation and a cooler color than black. I looked hard at the half helmets but couldn't convince myself that was the way to go. I settled on a silver 3/4 helmet with a full face shield.

I rode to Mayberry (Mt Airy) by way of Mt. Pilot (Pilot Mountain) today it is about a 35 mile ride one way and wore my new helmet. On the way back, a vehicle in front of me lifted some small gravels my way on Interstate 74/US 52. We were running 65-70 mph. A couple gravels hit my feet, no big deal since I had my boots on. Two came above my windshield hit my face shield just above my eyes. I'm convinced I picked the right helmet. There are a couple of small dings in the face shield and not my forehead!

It is 93 degrees on my back porch this afternoon and I wasn't uncomfortable hot.

A half helmet likely wouldn't have protected me from these little gravels- from the sound I imagine they would have left a mark!

2013 Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 04:57 PM

IMO, if you are gonna wear a half-helmet, may as well not wear one at all. They offer such minimal protection.

I won't wear anything but a full face since I found out that shattered jawbones are one of the top injuries in motorcycle accident. Apparently, one's face likes to find hard things to hit on its way over the handlebars.

Current Ride: 2013 Honda F6B

Former Rides:
2004 VStar 1100 Classic
2008 VStar 1100 Silverado
1982 Suzuki GS650S
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 05:33 PM

Full face all the time - did you see the news/video coverage last week of the biker that got dragged under a pickup truck and he was face down. If he hadn't had a full face on, his face would have been hamburger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 05:34 PM

I liked the idea of a 1/2 helmet at one time, even bought an inexpensive one that I intended to use on short trips like my 4 mi trek to the gym. But after a few hits to the face by big bugs, gravel, etc., I put it up. Guess I'm soft, will stick with my FF and sweat some in the summer. I bought an Icon Airmada back in Jan that has really good air flow, should help some.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 05:36 PM

Garage
I always wear my modular helmet when I ride. IMO the modular helmet is kinda like the best of both worlds. I have the protection of a full face and while stopped I can flip it up and talk to whomever I'm riding with.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

it's kind of alarming when i get a pebble to my forehead when i ride. still won't trade in my skid lid, though

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 05:46 AM

Garage
last yr i went down an was wearing my full shell. when i hit the shield was ripped off the helmet. had i had anything less on it would have ripped the side of my face off. i look at it this way, better be a slight bit uncomfortable then loose your face.

POW/MIA Chairman
Lehigh Valley Chp.415
Vietnam Veterans
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 07:17 AM

I enjoy the ride in my 1/2 helmet. Thinking about buying a second one that includes a visor. What I enjoy more is the fact we live where we can each choose what helmet we want to wear. As long as your comfy with it, enjoy it.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 10:31 AM

I don't wear a helmet unless I'm going on a long ride or to a state where i half to iv had big a$$ june buds dang near knock me out lol my wife prefers to wear one witch is ok with me to each there own
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 10:40 AM

You can put a face shield on half helmet.My wife and I wear half helmets she dos not like the wind in her face so I put shields on her
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode