Is the normal? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Is this sound normal?

Noticed today that rear wheel makes a "binding" sound when rolled backward (engine off). Silent when rolled forward. Brakes are original, 2009 VStar 1300. I think it's prob time to replace pads and brake line due to age but what could be making this sound? There's no unusual resistance when I roll backward.

Last edited by Chazzmichaels; 05-17-2015 at 09:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 12:16 PM

Garage
I guess I don't know what a binding sound is...

03 V-Star 1100 Custom
83 KZ 1100 Spectre
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 02:18 PM

Logic says to look at the brake pads first. If they are worn, they could cause what you have described. Don't neglect to change them when needed or they could score the rotor.

2009 with original pads? It's time.

Augie

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

No doubt, Augie. Don't know why the he**I did not replace pads when I had new rubber put on last Summer. It's time!

Last edited by Chazzmichaels; 05-17-2015 at 05:30 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 08:19 PM

Brake pads do not wear evenly

I agree that it's most likely the brake pads. The pads are hung on a bracket with a spring plate holding them in place. The nature of the contact between the pad and the rotor causes a very slight leading edge wear that the trailing edge of the pad does not get. My 2006 has 21,000 miles. I just changed my rear brake pads and found that to be true when looking at the pad wear.

I thought about cheap pads, but, when I consider who's life these brakes brakes save I bought EBC from Amazon.com. Wow, they are even better than Yamahas original pads.

Bradleybhiking,
2006 VStar 1100 Classic - black with ghost flames, Memphis Shades windshield, Jardine repositioned oil filter, EBC brake pads
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

I noticed not really making a noise now. Still going to replace pads and brake line. Maybe too many IPAs that night I initially heard the noise.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 09:09 PM

You are right. The noise will come and go because the pad is not truely face to face with the rotor since it is worn. That means its contact with the rotor, when the caliper piston is not pressing on it, will be slightly less or more. I am suspecting the piston may be a bit dirty and is sticking a little causing residual pressure to be applied sometimes and other times not.

Yes, It is time to change the pads and use hot water and a little soap with a tooth brush to throughly clean the parts involved. Do not lubricate the piston just clean it then with both hands slowly push it back into the caliper, swap out the pads and reinstall the caliper. there are some very helpful videos on youtube, the best I found is www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVO-a8K4Gus by EBC Brake pads.

After I installed my new pads I still hear the pads when stopping. I think it is because I am listening for that noise. I installed EBC and feel they work better than the original equipment by Yamaha. By the way the best price I found was on Amazon.com

Best wishes, ride safe

Bradleybhiking,
2006 VStar 1100 Classic - black with ghost flames, Memphis Shades windshield, Jardine repositioned oil filter, EBC brake pads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode