What made you pick the bike you have? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

What made you pick the bike you have?

I was reading through one of the RL/SL threads, and I saw this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Strat View Post
This thread is turning into a how and why you chose a liner. Cool.
Made me want to open it up in general. So, most of us have signatures that say what kind of bike we have, but why did you pick that bike in particular? I'll start:

The bike I have now is the first one I've ever owned. I knew I wanted a cruiser-style bike, and I'd heard that HDs had lots of reliability problems, and that they were expensive (I swear, I'm really not trying to start a Harley-bashing thread. I think they make some really nice motorcycles, they just didn't fit my criteria.), so I was looking at metrics. Took a look at all of the offerings from Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Honda, but the V-Star 950 kept staying at the top of my list.

I wanted a ride that wasn't going to me too much bike for a relative newbie, but also that I wouldn't grow out of too fast—so nothing on the order of a 250. When I bought it, I didn't know anything about motorcycle maintenance, so I wanted new, and I wanted FI.

The 950 was right where I wanted to be in terms of price, and I liked the styling. Incidentally, the things I liked about the styling, and the reason I chose the non-touring version, were the clean lines, and a complete lack of windshield or saddlebags. Check my signature for the irony. All the other makers had bikes in the same 900 class, but the V-Star had the best styling, in my opinion. Three years in, I'm still glad I chose the bike I did.

So, what's your story?

Charter member, Greatest Bike in the History of the World Club

The Caliente Rocket is a 2009 V-Star 950
- Cobra Speedster exhaust
- Mustang Daytripper seat
- Memphis Shades windshield, sometimes
- Hardstreet Classic Tour Saddlebags

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Banned

The Starto-S I now own actually spoke to me when I saw it in the showroom.

post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 12:51 PM

I bought my 650 from my FIL who hurt his back and was not able to ride anymore. He gave me an amazing deal on it. While that was the main reason, I did some research on the 650 to make sure it made sense beyond the price. I was very happy with what I read about its reliability and performance. Having never been on 2 wheels before, I felt it wise to avoid anything that could get me in too much trouble too quickly.

If I ride this for awhile and take good care of it, I'll probably be able to sell it for a profit and upgrade to something more powerful.

2003 V-Star 650 Classic
Riding since 3/27/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 02:51 PM

After i got rid of my sportster i wanted something bigger and more comfortable...I looked for Harleys but the prices here are rediculous...2002 Dynas for like 2000 less than what you can get a new one for...which is a bit too much for a guy who is still sorta new, lol. So my stepdad had an 1100 and I test rode it a couple times and liked it..then I saw an 08 1300 for sale for a great price, mid 7k..went in to go buy it, another guy bought it that morning...So while there I saw an 1100 and decided i liked it. lol I could already handle the sportster pretty good so a 650 was too small..

2013 H-D FXS Blackline
2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
1980 XS650 Bob (in progress)
1981 XS650

USMC - 0331 - OEF

Last edited by BP03; 04-13-2012 at 02:53 PM.
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 03:41 PM

I've rode everything from big singles to sport bikes, and 150 miles has always been a short ride. I was riding a 750 Shadow and decided it was time for something easier on the back. The Vstar was the bike I found that had all the features I was looking for (floor boards, windshield, bags, etc) already on it. Granted I kept the bags off my Shadow but the other stuff being there helped ease some of the financial pain in swapping bikes LOL. One test ride was all it took to prove I was right about the suspension on these bikes.

01 V star 1100
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 04:37 PM

I wanted a cruiser, I'm 6'4 so I needed something bigger then my 84 Magna, I found my 2000 V Star Custom with 19,000km, light bar, exhaust, grips, windshield, saddle bags for $3600 so I jumped on it as around here that is about $1500-$2000 below cost. I bought some forward controls and it fits me. I'm still a newbie to motorcycles and I'm looking forward to some nice safe riding in the future. Cheers!!

2000 V Star 1100 Custom
1991 Mustang 5.0L
1997 BMW 540i
2012 GMC Terrain SLT
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 06:48 PM

I also am 6-4 and closer to 400 lbs than I want to be. When I decided I wanted a motorcycle I sat on every motorcycle I could find. Knew I wanted a cruiser...and my Strat S fit me like it was made for me!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

'07 Stratoliner Quicksilver in color. Bone stock.
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 07:14 PM

First sat on a white 650 Classic about 5 years ago and thought, "I could ride this....!" By the time I got around to actually buying one in '09, I liked the black Custom better.

I bought one thinking it was the most beautiful bike ever made. It just didn't have as much power as I wanted.

I found a black 1100 Custom, and found it was not quite as beautiful as the 650, nor as comfortable with the stock seat, but I needed the extra weight and power so I made the deal.

A predator seat, risers and K&N filter later, I'm happy....
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 08:07 PM

Bought my 2010 950T brand new. Reason, Styling and Price. Didn't even ride it till I got it home. Two years later it fits me like a glove and I love it.

Now 2010 V STAR 950 T
Former bikes were
1982 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim
1977 Harley Iron Head Sportster
1970 Triumph 500 Hard Tail Chopper
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul
post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratowart View Post
The Starto-S I now own actually spoke to me when I saw it in the showroom.
If you all were not aware Warty hears voices a lot in general anyhow.

I chose my Strat S because I was done with a "Naked" as my main bike (I'd still like to build a fighter) and I was eyeballin' 'Liners before I bought my Tuono. The perfect storm of getting way more in trade for my Aprilia and a ridiculous deal on my Strat happened and I road home on the fastest hued 'Liner available.

BLUE BIKE CLUB
What's Yamaha's official color?
What color do you think they paint their fastest bikes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode