I've strayed, cheated and been unfaithful... need advice - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I've strayed, cheated and been unfaithful... need advice

So... My yammy is mad at me I think. I've bought a new wif... I mean bike.

81 Honda Goldwing 1100. Perfect. Looks like new. Not a scratch. Starts like a dream, everything works, clean title, yada. The Clarion radio even still sounds good... $300.

If it weren't for that distressing knock in the lower end...

I'm not sure yet what it is, but it's clearly not good. It's an "open her up" of some sort for sure. I'm guessing spun bearing(s), just based on experience. But no way to tell for sure without major surgery.

So here's my dilemma:

My "hobby/sideline/mad-money" thing is parting out old non-running bikes: wrecks, barn finds, no-title, etc. I do a couple a year, make a few bucks, pays for vacation.

I swore to myself I'd never buy a restorable/running bike to part out. "organ donation" is a great thing when a tragic event helps renew life for others. Doing that with someone who -could- recover? Not so much.

But the truth is this: a $300 Goldwing (running or not) means I can part the thing out, make a lovely profit, and go to the islands for a couple weeks this summer. Hell, I can sell just the carbs and make my investment back: the rest is profit.

Or I can put in the time, effort and cost to rebuild and put a rather nice old bike back on the road... which I'll then be able to sell for somewhat less than what I paid + what I spent. Forget any value of my time.

What to do?

Anyone need Goldwing Parts?

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 08:04 PM

Garage
Well, a few years ago you could've doubled $ to one of my riding buddies. He had the same but with strong motor and bike falling apart around it.
Now he rides a V-Star like mine.

Me? I'd fix and sell as a whole, being in that condition. But that's just how I am.

03 V-Star 1100 Custom
83 KZ 1100 Spectre
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 08:36 PM

Guess you need to decide if its something you want to make $$ on or just tinker/ play with.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 10:11 PM

You could have nothing more than a carbon knock.

The way to test for bottom end play is simple.

Rev it up, drop the throttle. As the engine RPM falls back to idle, ease the throttle back up. When the increasing throttle meets the falling engine RPM you will have about 1-2 seconds of neutral pressure on the pistons. If there is any play in the crank it will knock VERY loud.

If you had a spun bearing, she would be locked by now. Spun bearings will block oil flow in the journals and allow oil to escape causing a drop in pressure overall.

If you are lucky and only have a worn bearing, the crank journal and rod end will still be in spec and you can replace the bearings with factory sized replacements. Once spun you will have to re-grind the surfaces, measure the rod ends and special order over size bearings.

Problem is, in a car all you have to do is drop the oil pan to replace the bearings, not sure how involved a Goldwing engine is to get to them.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 09:11 AM

Where are you? Maybe I'll give you $600 and double your money
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsmanphil View Post
You could have nothing more than a carbon knock.

The way to test for bottom end play is simple.

Rev it up, drop the throttle. As the engine RPM falls back to idle, ease the throttle back up. When the increasing throttle meets the falling engine RPM you will have about 1-2 seconds of neutral pressure on the pistons. If there is any play in the crank it will knock VERY loud.

If you had a spun bearing, she would be locked by now. Spun bearings will block oil flow in the journals and allow oil to escape causing a drop in pressure overall.

If you are lucky and only have a worn bearing, the crank journal and rod end will still be in spec and you can replace the bearings with factory sized replacements. Once spun you will have to re-grind the surfaces, measure the rod ends and special order over size bearings.

Problem is, in a car all you have to do is drop the oil pan to replace the bearings, not sure how involved a Goldwing engine is to get to them.
My car requires the engine to come out to replace the oil pan gasket Don't ask how I know!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 04:13 PM

If it is one of the ones with the squareish fairing and headlight, I say make parts out of it.

If it is the non fairing model as long as it isn't brown I say fix it. I don't like the Honda brown on a motorcycle.

2013 Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 08:18 PM

Motorcycle ownership is like polygamy. One just isn't good enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode