New lanesplitting Laws proposed for Cali AND Study shows Lansplitting can be Safe - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
New lanesplitting Laws proposed for Cali AND Study shows Lansplitting can be Safe

I am going to link two articles since they tie in pretty close to each other.

California Law Article:
http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/cal...-th-1708302763

UC-Berkley Study Article:
http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/uc-...cyc-1708755125

I like this, I think both the Study and the Proposed California Law that seems to reflect some of the studies findings could pave the way for more States to adopt similar legislation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

a new study shows that trapeze artists who juggle chainsaws can be safe. "if you're smart," and "not a tool".

i will never tell anyone to not lane-split if they do so safely and lawfully, but this study is bogus. first of all, 1,000 out of 6,000 motorcycle collisions occurred while lane-splitting. how does this single stat not wreck their whole safety angle? what am i missing there?

then the study attempts to describe lane-splitting bikers as generally safer than those who do not lane-split. complete BS for the following reasons, but not limited to:

1)they state lane-splitters are traveling at slower speeds=safer. that's because there's way less need to lane-split when traffic is moving at higher speeds
2)they state lane-splitters typically do not involve alcohol. that's because it mostly occurs during rush hour when alcohol is less likely to be involved in any vehicular accident. the highest percentage of wrecks studied occurred between 3PM-6PM during the weekday. not a lot of people getting sloshed during their lunch breaks.
3)they state lane-splitters wear more/better safety gear. they only classified helmets and no other safety gear. could very well be because daily commuters are more likely to be sportbike riders who generally are more likely to wear a full face helmet than cruisers; there are not a lot of non-full face helmets marketed toward sportbike riders.
4)they state lane-splitters are less likely to carry a passenger. since when did carrying a passenger make riding less safe? and people who are lane-splitting during rush hour are likely getting off work and thereby not likely carrying a passenger.
5)they don't classify % of sportbikes/cruisers involved in the collisions, only the makes of the bikes in the study. you can easily argue that a particular model/type of bike is safer for lane-splitting than others
6)study only contains data from LA traffic where lane-splitting has been legal forever, and is currently voted the #1 city with the worst rush hour traffic in America by Forbes for the zillionth time

my point is, they are skewing their findings to make the lane-splitter sound more safety conscience than those who don't when they are more than likely just a product of the circumstances of the time in which they ride. this study is superficial.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
first of all, 1,000 out of 6,000 motorcycle collisions occurred while lane-splitting. how does this single stat not wreck their whole safety angle? what am i missing there?
What you are missing is 5 times out of 6 a motorcycle accident happens to someone who is not lane splitting.

Have you ever lane shared before?

I have been doing so for the past 4 years, mostly on my FZ-1, but also on my V-Star 1300 Touring. I have had one close call while splitting, and that was because I was going too fast, back when I first started doing it. Now that I slow down I have found it to be quite safe, much safer than getting crushed to death in the lane because someone is looking at their phone instead of traffic and they plow into the car in front of them.

I actually took some video from my morning commute today and it is processing on Youtube right now, i will put up a link when it is complete.

Your comparison to juggling Chainsaws is bit dramatic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 03:58 PM

Comparing the 1000 lane splitting accidents to the other 5,000 collisions is flawed. Speeds are likely higher in the 5,000 for a large number of those collisions, subsequently the injuries are likely more serious. The researchers should compare lane splitting collisions that occur at a specific speed to other accidents that occur at the same speed (if they haven't). Also there should be some specificity as to what types of collisions are compared. Comparing slow speed lane splitting to head-on collisions on rural roads would be flawed.

I'm no fan of lane splitting but if individuals want to do it, then I'm not one to oppose it if it is legal. And if California passes a law to make it legal, then that's fine by me. I just hope the research is well founded if the goal is to permit lane splitting in other states based on that research. However, most legislators are conffused by the facts anyway.

2013 Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The video finished uploading:

https://youtu.be/n3iXp0JdiNI

WARNING! This is very boring footage, and that is on purpose, it is to show just how safe lane sharing can be done.

Note, on this Commute I passed two accidents one at the 10 min mark and again 30 seconds later at 10:30. Both accidents were rear-enders, another reason why lane sharing is safer than riding in the lane with the cars. rear-end accidents happen almost daily and are the most common form of accident. Being crushed between two 3500lb + vehicles on a motorcycle is extremely dangerous.

One last note: This is filmed on a GoPro with wide Angle lens, hence the vehicles look like they speed up as they get to the edge of frame and it is difficult to see every far down the road. With ones own eyes the vision is much better.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

in other states, non-lane splitting collisions outnumber lane splitting collisions 99 to 1. so you could say that since less than 1% of motorcycle accidents occurred during lane splitting then it must be inherently safe. so you can't use that argument in states where lane splitting just isn't done. but when 16% of accidents in a study involved lane splitting, it sounds like a lot to me. but is 16% more, or less, than the percentage of time motorcyclists spend lane splitting there? that might be more telling.

lane splitting may be safer in some places than in others, and is probably definitely needed in places like LA and Bangkok:

but this particular study doesn't prove anything to me one way or another, other than it was biased from the beginning.

on a steel horse I ride

post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
From my own non-scientific Study:

In the last 4 years I have split lanes on the Freeway and some surface streets for about 50% of my total commute of 36 Miles (each way) each day.

Percentage of accidents I have been involved in while splitting 0%
Percentage of accidents I have been involved in while not splitting 100%

I know the freeways are not all setup the same in each state, but in California the lanes must be 12 feet wide. Plenty of room for bikes.

The study is not perfect, but it is the very first one ever done, we def need more done on the subject to look at it from more angles.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

there was recently a bill up for consideration here in TX to allow lane splitting, but it was restricted only to areas where the posted speed limit was something low like 35mph. i think most bikers would argue that it's needed most here on the interstates and highways that run through the middle of Dallas/Austin/Houston. both Houston and Austin were on the same current Forbes top 10 list of cities with the worst traffic.

on a steel horse I ride

post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
It is a life saver in heavy traffic, reduces my nerves so much compared to sitting in traffic in the car. As you can see from the video I posted, I am able to move through commuter traffic everyday for a considerable way down the road. I only save about 15 min in the morning and maybe 20 in the evenings heading home, but it feels like so much more. I find my stress levels are much less when I can ride the bike.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 12:01 AM
Super Moderator

people change lanes all the time. i wonder how to avoid a collision if someone happens to do so as you're coming up on them, and how that's not a frequent occurrence anyway
CoverTune and CoverTune like this.

on a steel horse I ride

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode