I'm done... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

I'm done...

looking at different bikes to replace my 1300!! I've called on four different bikes in the last two weeks and each sold before I could see in person. Fate is telling me it is not the time. So I had the original brake pads, plugs, and battery replaced today in my '09. And added a chrome cover to the master cylinder to hide the peeling paint.

I'm good till Winter when the killer deals seem to pop up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 06:34 PM

You're better off sticking with what you have for now. I watch CL almost on a daily basis looking for pre-70's bikes that I love to restore. Seems like lately, especially this year, everybody thinks they have a piece of gold. Same goes for newer bikes that I look for to make a quick flip.

Don't know what these people think they have, but I see their ads over and over and they never sell. The funny part is that they think they are going to get their asking price no matter how long the advertise them.

Makes me want to scream.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 06:49 PM
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
I have to say I fully understand your decision. Winter time is better for the purchase you are looking for. Just hold on a little longer.

I purchased my bike from CL. Asking $2000. I got it for $1850.
Needed work ? Yes. In good condition for the price? Yes.

Did I feel like I got a good deal? Yes.

The worst thing the ad did not tell me was the gas tank was creamy crud. It needed the fuel system completely gone through.
Otherwise the bike was in riding condition.
New tires, low miles (9K) for a 2000 model, pristine paint, No mods other than cobra pipes and no damage.

The bike was stored in an open barn ( think cattle barn)
This guys wifes bike. She never rode it. 8300 miles in 2008
and when I purchased it it had 9100 in 2014.
Been almost exactly one year since purchase.
Great bike....

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

CL sellers, please take your ad down if bike has sold! Geesh! !
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 08:22 PM
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
That happens alot. I see listings all the time that show active.
When called they say they have sold it....

They just don't care or forget to do it.

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

I've sold one bike on CL and took down the ad immediately after payment. Yeah, people just don't give a flip. But dealers are not any better; they'll leave a bike in their online inventory until you remind them it's still listed For Sale on their website. At least today, the dealer had the courtesy to call me and advise the bike I called on yesterday sold this morning.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 08:42 PM
Premium Member

Garage
I agree, Dealers are ruthless. I would much rather deal with a private party (actual owner) before I look at dealers smiles....

They all smile until you sign the papers.

Private party sales seem to be more on the level. you can expect
some slight of hand but for the most part owners are more likely to reveal issues. Dealers will mask them...

A few years ago. I was looking to purchase a brand new 2013 Ninja
300. I just liked the bike so much. I asked the salesman about a cash sale. Thinking he would give me a better price.
NOPE. All in he was just as much as if I had financed it.
I backed out and looked elsewhere. Ended up buying the used vstar
16 months later....

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestoRider00 View Post
I agree, Dealers are ruthless. I would much rather deal with a private party (actual owner) before I look at dealers smiles....

They all smile until you sign the papers.

Private party sales seem to be more on the level. you can expect
some slight of hand but for the most part owners are more likely to reveal issues. Dealers will mask them...

A few years ago. I was looking to purchase a brand new 2013 Ninja
300. I just liked the bike so much. I asked the salesman about a cash sale. Thinking he would give me a better price.
NOPE. All in he was just as much as if I had financed it.
I backed out and looked elsewhere. Ended up buying the used vstar
16 months later....
Yeah, what's up with that? Yesterday, I offered up to the saIes guy that I had a trade but could be a cash buyer if the price was right. I figured that would get him excited but he kept wanting to talk trade. I think trading you out of your bike is their leverage. On a cash sale, the buyer typically is in control of the transaction.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 09:02 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Without a doubt. They like to control the sale. Give you a little for your trade and turn around and list it for sale for way more than what they gave you for it. And want premium dollar for the new bike.
Which looses a bunch of value as soon as it leaves the parking lot.

Case in point, in 1983 I purchased a brand new 1982 Honda FT 500 Ascot. Super nice, Flat track style. A fresh model not made by other
japan bike makers. $2895 out the door. Seemed good at the time.
About 1 year later sales on this model were so poor they lowered the new prices on 1983 models to just above $1200 and still had inventory
sitting. I just took a big hit on that deal. I paid almost $3K for a bike you could get brand new a year later for less than half the price.

I kept it until 1987 and then traded it in for a 7.5 H.p honda out board motor for my john boat.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 09:21 PM

All dealers will deal. As long as you're willing to find the one that has the right deal for you, it's all good.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode