Pain in the neck! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Pain in the neck!

Sometimes when riding after a couple of hours the right side my neck and upper back start aching. I use a throttle lock as much as possible to rest the throttle side arm and shoulder. I also have 2" bar backs so I'm not over reaching. Anyone else experience this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 10:51 AM

You and me both brother! In fact, if I know I'm going to be riding more than an hour, I go ahead and start the ibuprofen and even wear and icey-hot patch...and I'll still ache the next day. I have a cramp buster and that really helps my hand but the spot you described hurts no matter what I do. I'll be watching this thread.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

I use a cramp buster also. I ride really loose so there is not a lot of tension in my shoulders. I use a back rest also. It helped some after I adjusted it forward a little.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 07:26 PM

Yeah, I've got a backrest also, but with my 29" inseam, I could use a couple more inches of padding on the rest to take full advantage of that...but that's for my lower back. I don't feel like I'm reaching too far on the handle bars...feels very natural when I grab hold...but when I check myself out in the reflection of windows (yeah, we all do it) it kind of looks like maybe I am. I had this same problem on my V-Star 950 and I know the reach was less on that bike. Just wondering what I can do different.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 09:28 PM

I don't really get it that bad. I did buy a set of 2" risers with 1" pull back and that helped a lot. Also, the angle of your hands when you reach for the grips has a lot to do with it. To keep my reservoir level actually caused me numbness and pain in my hands to my shoulders. I tilted the bars down considerably and have not had any more problems. The reservoir is not level anymore but as long as you have enough fluid in it so no air gets in the lines you will be just fine. Try adjusting your handlebar angle just a little and see.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 11:33 PM

Location: rainy side of washington state now reside in Blackfoot,Idaho
It sounds like your stretching for the bars. Try what Chaplain stated or try some pull back risers.I put some on mine and it helped.

2007 Stratoliner S
Reckless batwing
Sony am/fm cd mp3 4 speakers w/500 watt amp,8in sub
12 inch ape hanger bars
Roadhouse slip on exhaust
K&N air filter with lid mod
Cobra Fi2000 powrpro auto tuner
Kuryakyn mustache bar
Corbin low profile solo seat
LED running lights front and rear
21 inch chrome raider front wheel
200 tire on the rear
113 Hd eating tire smoking cubic inches
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 12:08 PM
Banned

I get neck pain a lot (comes with age I suppose), but I found using the windshield on long rides helps a bunch. Now when I finish my home cieling projects I'll be golden.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 11:15 PM
Lifetime Premium

I use a throttle lock also. I had issues with arm and shoulder pain on my throttle side as well so i started resting my right hand on the tank on long rides. That really helped.
jack2bad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode