Dealer service - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Location: rainy side of washington state now reside in Blackfoot,Idaho
Dealer service

So I've been following cheesyriders puking fuel thread & dondars starter thread and thought it would be a good topic to bring up. Who gets good service and who don't. If it differs from each side of the country.You previous hd owners how it compares to the other brand.
I think it would be good to know where the good service is and where not to break down if you know what I mean.My local dealer is pretty good with basic maintenance and basic mechanical repairs. I have never had any repairs to my bike but they have a good reputation. I've had friends get their bikes repaired with good luck.Now the parts dept. is another story. You should have the part# in hand before going in or they will not find it or look up the wrong part.Sales dept. is good they have fair deals.The only thing I don't like is you can't road test before purchase. That's why I bought else where. Ok who's next?

2007 Stratoliner S
Reckless batwing
Sony am/fm cd mp3 4 speakers w/500 watt amp,8in sub
12 inch ape hanger bars
Roadhouse slip on exhaust
K&N air filter with lid mod
Cobra Fi2000 powrpro auto tuner
Kuryakyn mustache bar
Corbin low profile solo seat
LED running lights front and rear
21 inch chrome raider front wheel
200 tire on the rear
113 Hd eating tire smoking cubic inches
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 11:08 PM

I have become good friends with the guys at my local Yammy dealer and they treat me like I'm one of them. If I find a good price on a part on line, they'll match it. If I need work done and I'm not confident enough to tear into it myself, they'll do it while I wait and in some cases let me do it with them so I can do it myself next time.
When I found my 1100 at another dealer, they made a deal with the guy and went and picked it up for me.
I should point out that this is new ownership of a dealer where the service was so bad, tried and true Yamaha guys were buying Hondas and Kawasakis rather than deal with them.

No complaints here...
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 04:23 AM

My dealer "Don George's Sports Center" is great. Eveytime I need service they've always done it while I wait and most times under an hour. And the work has always been top notch. I highly recomend.

Now 2010 V STAR 950 T
Former bikes were
1982 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim
1977 Harley Iron Head Sportster
1970 Triumph 500 Hard Tail Chopper
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 05:02 AM
Banned

I've not needed any service since I bought my Strat back in August 2010. Should I need it I hope to pass along a good report.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 06:11 AM

I've gotten great service from my dealer. It took'em three times to fix an oil leak but they treated me right in the process. I have no complaints.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 07:38 AM

plano texas yamaha has a mechanic that explained to me how to clean out and replace my float needles so I didn't have to pay a bundle for him to do it and was real nice about it all. The shop guys are terrible though, I worked retail and I know its hard not to hate your job but they just look bored and move at a snail's pace even when there is a line of customers. Idk if they treat the high end motorcycle buyers better, but they acted like my list of small parts wasn't worth the time to look up.

TJT
V STAR 650
straight pipes
purple LEDS
SilverStar ULTRA headlight
flame mirrors (willing to trade for stock)
License plate repositioned to the side
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 10:49 AM

The dealer I bought my V-Star from in NJ gave me good deals but there service department has no people skills. They take care of me, they just never speak.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 07:47 PM

My Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki dealer in Herrin Illinois is top notch. Good service, parts and sales departments. And the people are friendly and open. If I were in the market for a new bike I would just go there and get one. No shopping around unless I wanted a specific bike they did not have. Then I would get them to get it for me. Also, they price match. Even from ebay. Plus they have started to open on Sundays. After and before church services.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 09:18 PM

I dont think my bike will ever visit the dealer. Having heard so many nightmare stories, and ridiculously long wait times for even getting your bike looked at.. This day and age with the internet and having a garage stocked with tools to do the work.. I just assume tear into the bike myself. Of course being pretty confident behind a wrench, AND having dear old dad as an emergency back up (ASE Master for 40yrs) Theres not a whole lot I shy away from :P Especially since I can single handedly pull the motor and lay it on a bench if needed.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 08:42 AM

The only time my bike has been to the dealer was to have a fuel recall done this spring. I prefer to do my own wrenching. However, I do visit my 2 local Yamaha dealers a few times a year. Be it for picking up a part I ordered or just stopping in to kick the tires on the new bikes. It keeps my face in front of them. And I do take in everything that is going on there. If I ever need something done that I don't feel like tearing into, I know who I'm going to visit and who is going to be able to touch my bike! I have ridden with a few of them so I have gained a trust.

2007 Vstar 1300 Tourer
Too many bolt-on goodies to remember!

Gone but not forgotten...

Memeber of the Black Bike Club -- Fastest Color Available!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode