don't do this - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

don't do this

how not to behave when pulled over.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 09:41 PM

Garage
This is the reason some cops are dicks. They have to deal with people like these idiots.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 09:57 PM

Garage
Wellllll.... Yeah but...

Standing on public property filming an arrest is not just cause to be hassled.

He didn't 'advance on the officer' or give just cause for being treated the way he was. He didn't get pushy until he was told "Sit down or get back on your bike," which was not a reasonable request. There's no reason he needs to sit down or get back on his bike. He's 100% free to stand on public property and film this. It's reasonable to ask him to stay outside a realistic zone to interfere. So "Please step away sir" or similar, okay, sure. And the cop was a jerk to not acknowledge his interest in the matter when he identified his wife. "Sir, please simply step back and stay out of this, you're welcome to observe/film from a reasonable distance." would be more reasonable.

Having said that, I certainly concur that throwing profanities and generally being a d**k is not the way to go. Cops are unfailingly polite (even when they're being jerks) and drop "sir" every fourth word. You gotta do the same and exercise self-control even while insisting on your rights.

I know a lot of cops, and 99.9% of them are NOT jerks until/unless you get that way with them. They're doing a job that helps keep us all safe, deserve basic human decency and respect, and straight-up cops should not mind being filmed doing their duty. But jumping into it and starting with name-calling won't get you anywhere.

In a case like this, I'd just say "Officer, that's my wife so I clearly have an interest in this: I'm going to stand back, not interfere with you, and simply film this encounter." Then, stand back 10 feet, be quiet/polite, and if pushed simply repeat "Officer, I'm going to stand away from you on public property and video your encounter with my wife"... No F-bombs, no name-calling. The video will speak for itself (in court) if they're jerks after that.

But again, although I fundamentally agree with you the gent in question did not do himself any favors with his behavior, the cops here are being over-aggressive from the get-go.

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

not a reasonable request? watch it again. he walked up to officers conducting a traffic stop. this made him an interference, which is grounds for arrest. they gave him the option to stay if he sat down but he refused. it wasn't reasonable for him to sit down? they never made a single mention about being filmed. filming had nothing to do with this. the reason they tell people to get back is for their safety. they do the same thing if a passenger gets out of the car during a traffic stop.

on a steel horse I ride

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 01:33 PM

Garage
Bad idea to approach an officer while he is performing a traffic stop. Dude would of been better off parking his bike and walking down the sidewalk at a safe distance....

The officers "could" have been more clear about where they wanted him to stand etc.... so probably a little blame on both sides... but interfering with a traffic stop, wife or not, is not going to win you any favors with the officers.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 01:59 PM

The very first words on the video sounded like, "Cristy let's go, f*ck that cop". The whole thing started with a snotty attitude and you can't expect cops to be sweet and nice when people are treating them like dirt. I think the cops showed a lot of restraint.

She showed her true colors when she used all the profanity with the cops also. They both could stand an attitude adjustment.

It would be interesting to know what started it all.

I agree "Don't do this"

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 02:32 PM

Garage
Agreed, I want to know why the stop in the first place. He did handle himself wrong from the get go, and I understand being upset when pulled over (seemingly) without reason, but still.
I think any chance he had of taking it to court were thrown away with his attitude.

03 V-Star 1100 Custom
83 KZ 1100 Spectre
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 02:49 PM

Wrong attitude and language from the motorcycle guy and his wife prompted an equally bad attitude from the cops but justified in my view. It is a reasonable request to have the camera guy to back up. There would have been an appropriate way to engage the officers to get answers to all his questions but he started in jacka$$ mode. He forfeited his opportunity to engage in a mature conversation by his actions and language.

2013 Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 06:24 PM
Premium Member

I stand by the officers, they need to maintain complete control of the situation for their protection. He should not have approached the cops, to approach the cops was a threat in and of its self, he could be armed and dangerous. They do not know who he is or what he is capable of, he could be a killer for all they know. Respect the cops and they will respect you.

LoupGarou

2005 V Star 1100 Classic, Mustang seats, Baron ORK, risers and Star handlebar, AIS removed, muffler baffles removed, run/turn/brake light controller, modulating headlight, pods installed in air box, progressive front springs.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

on the youtube page the guy claims the traffic stop was due to improper license plate (folded up or location or something), and then the cops discovered something wrong with insurance/inspection/registration that got a citation.

on a steel horse I ride

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode