Worst 4 Day Weekend Ever.. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Worst 4 Day Weekend Ever..

I got off this Tuesday, with nothing but plans to ride the bike, I knew I had to go to work Wed for the managers appreciation banquet, and I did. 92 degrees, and clear it was awesome riding weather. On the way home, I am doing roughly 55mph, and a 16 yr old girl is texting and pulls out in front of me, She pulled out so late, I almost broad sided her van, I locked up the rear to try and save it, after realizing it wasn't stopping, I locked up the front hoping for a dump, I dumped it on its left side, and rode it down, rear of the bike started to come up, ejecting me about 25 yards or so from where it went down, bike went to a skid about 75 yards down the highway into a barbed wire fence. I have been told I am lucky to be alive. After laying down for about 10 minutes just trying to realize what the hell happened, I get up, look at the girl, and let my adrenaline take over, luckily a fellow club stops, helps me out of the ditch, calls 911, and started bandaging me up before the EMTS came. I was wearing a helmet luckily, jeans, and Nike Shox, No holes in my clothes, and one of my shoes/ socks is worn to nothing. Dont get me wrong there were some pretty thin spots. I declined the ambulance and I had my wife take me to ST. Lukes ER in Lees, Summit, road rash on my entire back, inside and out side of both arms, legs, and one foot, my head remained safe, surprisingly from a half shell helmet. Bike started right back up although it was white smoke, and my buddy rode it out of the ditch, front forks got bent, and the obvious damage elsewhere. With only 11,000 mi on the bike, I am hoping for a rebuild, and coverage of all of my accessories, the trooper ripped her ass right there on the side of the road, really letting her have it, about 15 pergoset later, and a few dressing changes I cant remind you guys how alert we need to be, I am constantly looking for stupid drivers, but in this case, there wasn't much I could do. The prosecuter is charging her with attempted manslaughter, without me even saying anything, The troopers, EMS, fellow bikers and everyone else who stopped I cant thank enough, I am going in today for X rays on both elbows, arms and hands. Please guys, ride safe, I have never hugged my wife and daughter so tight in my life, as I did when I got home, all it takes is one dumb xxxxx to ruin someones life. I have been asked by everyone, if I am getting back on, I tell them, whats the point in living if you feel like your dead? 2 wheels move the soul. Trooper personally came and saw me at the ER 45 mins away from the scene after he got off, to check on me, I hear people bash these guys all the time, luckily I got the one who was a pretty damn good guy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1104[1].jpg
Views:	175
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	1703   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1109[1].jpg
Views:	164
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	1704  

Last edited by bevo1981; 04-27-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 10:00 AM

Glad your ok, considering. Too bad about the bike, hope the money isn't an issue getting it all replaced. I was sleeping in a car once when the girl driving us went into oncoming traffic going about 70 and I ended up with a couple scars and that was it thank God. This sort of thing really changes your perspective on life doesn't it? Hope the road rash heals up quick!

TJT
V STAR 650
straight pipes
purple LEDS
SilverStar ULTRA headlight
flame mirrors (willing to trade for stock)
License plate repositioned to the side
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 10:39 AM
Banned

Glad you are going to pull thru this. Still, stories like this are a tough read but the reminders of reality are always welcome. I'd be willing to bet she was texting again on her ride home "OMG I just like almost killt sum biker".

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 10:54 AM

Damn! I'm glad it wasn't worse. Heal up quick!

BLUE BIKE CLUB
What's Yamaha's official color?
What color do you think they paint their fastest bikes?
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 12:55 PM

That sucks.

I am glad that YOU are (more or less) in one piece though. The bike can be replaced.

Current Bike
2007 V-Star 1300
RSTD handlebars
Kuryakyn ISO grips with bar end helmet locks
NS switchblade 2-up windshield

Wife's Bike
2007 Moto Guzzi Griso

Prior bikes
1989 Honda Nighthawk 250
1991 Honda Nighthawk 750
1999 Suzuki Marauder 800
2005 Yamaha V-star 650 classic
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 02:25 PM

Good to hear you came out of it mostly OK. I agree with MCSmith, bikes are replaceable, riders are not. Keep us posted!
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 03:12 PM

So glad your gonna be fine and the bike looks pretty good for a 55 mph quick stop! Keep us in the loop on how your doing!!
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 03:38 PM

Thanks for sharing, hope they throw the book at her and it makes headlines and brings awareness to others to help and save some bikers. Wishing you a quick recovery.

2000 V Star 1100 Custom
1991 Mustang 5.0L
1997 BMW 540i
2012 GMC Terrain SLT
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the kind words guys, insurance is going to try to screw me I am sure, so I have hired an attorney, just to cover my ass, and ensure I get what I need to get back on my feet. They are wanting me to take it to places to get a quote on dmages, what the best place to take it? Yamaha dealer? Bikes shops?
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

wow. glad you're still with us. and thanks for sharing. and i'm taking away from your story that helmets save lives. and it's a good reminder to not text and drive. it also goes to show that the best we can do is be aware of our surroundings and wear proper gear and ride with safe equipment and in a safe manner. if something is going to happen it's going to happen and at least you did everything in your power to protect yourself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode