Laptop Driver - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Laptop Driver

This blew me away.

I see people reading phones, texting, talking on phones without Hands Free items every single day, it is too much to document, and I am sure I would see more if I took the time to look in every single window of every car I pass, which I just do not do.

But sometimes, something catches my eye and I slow down and take a peek.

I have seen People using Tablets, Putting on make-up, shaving, and even once I saw a guy eating a bowl of Cereal, one hand holding the bowl, the other holding the spoon.... but at least he was looking at the traffic ahead of him, not this driver:

https://youtu.be/3LpHJriANZs

Holy crap!!!

She put the thing away when I slowed down for a second look and pretended to not see me....

What on earth could be so important on that Laptop that both hands need to be on it and one needs to be staring at the screen while driving?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 08:24 PM

Garage
Kj,
I hear ya ! I write tickets weekly for distracted driving to and from clocking in at my precinct. Each week I see something new. This past Friday while sitting in rush hour traffic at a major intersection, a 22yr old female pulled up next to the passenger side of my clearly marked unit and proceeded to text as she inched forward in traffic. She would stop and start holding up traffic even more. I pulled in behind her, activated my lights and subsequently wrote her a moving violation citation that is costly and will show up on her driving record. I will keep doing this until distracted drivers get the message. I'm especially protective of my fellow bikers. I've seen the cereal eaters, laptop users, shavers and eye liner users, lap dogs that become mini missiles in a rear end collisions, and of course the highly intoxicated soccer mom's coming home from a game with the neighbors kids in the mini van as well. I pray I live long enough to see it change. Thanks for sharing this clip.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 08:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Post View Post
Kj,
I hear ya ! I write tickets weekly for distracted driving to and from clocking in at my precinct. Each week I see something new. This past Friday while sitting in rush hour traffic at a major intersection, a 22yr old female pulled up next to the passenger side of my clearly marked unit and proceeded to text as she inched forward in traffic. She would stop and start holding up traffic even more. I pulled in behind her, activated my lights and subsequently wrote her a moving violation citation that is costly and will show up on her driving record. I will keep doing this until distracted drivers get the message. I'm especially protective of my fellow bikers. I've seen the cereal eaters, laptop users, shavers and eye liner users, lap dogs that become mini missiles in a rear end collisions, and of course the highly intoxicated soccer mom's coming home from a game with the neighbors kids in the mini van as well. I pray I live long enough to see it change. Thanks for sharing this clip.
Honestly, I think this kind of thing is just as dangerous as DUI. I don't say that to diminish the danger of DUI, but to suggest distracted driving kills too. I wish the penalties were similar... e.g. get caught texting, etc. while driving and lose your license for a good long time: do not pass go, do not collect $200... done. That -might- cut it back.

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 09:21 PM

Garage
I agree cj, in my state one can be sued in civil court for loss of wages, insurance deductibles, and even rx costs incurred from a distracted and/or impaired driver causing a collision with serious injuries. I see those cases in court all the time. When you empty one's pockets for their actions, you generally get their attention.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 06:26 AM

I read an article the other day in which they sited rear end collisions with motorcycles becoming the most common type of hazard. Electronic devices were the cause of most driver distractions.

BTW Kieth Post I sent you a PM Augie

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 06:39 AM

It really is misplaced priorities.....what distracted drivers are doing is, in their minds, more important than the safety of themselves and more importantly the safety of others. In the grand scheme of things, what they are doing is making up for poor planning or attending to things that are trivial in the name of efficiency (working while on the road).

None of it is really all that important or urgent. Once I figured this out for myself, I'm a lot happier.

2013 Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 07:16 AM

Garage
Slayer and cg, you're both absolutely correct. Our annual state stats show that most motorcycle rear end collisions are caused by electronic device distracted drivers.

Augie, I sent you a reply.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 08:09 AM

Isn't it funny how inventions we create to help and improve our lives get used to an excessive and dependent level. So much so they become more of a hazard than a benefit. It's all because of greed. Slayer what you said is completely correct and all that is derived from personal greed, selfishness, and entitlement.
"But I need to talk to my friend right now, I'll be safe when I do it. I won't cause and accident. I'm a good driver."

And now we are designing more and more cars with lcd touch screens that create even more distractions. If it isn't bad enough with what we bring along for the ride now our cars are adding to the problem. Follow me for a second please...I am going to assume all of us have owned a cellular phone with actual buttons on it. Same as a car with a conventional radio and climate controls. Once we learned where the buttons were we could pretty much operate it without actually looking at. But what happened when you switched over to a phone with a touch screen? You had to actually take the time and look where you were placing your finger. The same applies to a touch screen in a car. Where you could once reach over and pick a radio station blindfolded now requires you to actually remove your eyes off the road to make sure you touch the correct spot. And now Chevy is making their vehicles wireless hotspots. Just another self induced distraction if you ask me.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Post View Post
Kj,
I am glad to hear it. I do see the CHP here in Cali lane splitting very slowly so they can look in everyone's windows as they pass, I can only assume it is with the intention of catching people who do this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyjones View Post
Honestly, I think this kind of thing is just as dangerous as DUI. I don't say that to diminish the danger of DUI, but to suggest distracted driving kills too. I wish the penalties were similar... e.g. get caught texting, etc. while driving and lose your license for a good long time: do not pass go, do not collect $200... done. That -might- cut it back.
This is far from being a Scientific Test, but it does show that Texting or Reading while driving is at least as bad as Drunk driving, but probably worse, why the fines for distracted driving do not line up more with those for a DUI is beyond me. The fine in Cali for a first offense is like $159.00.... useless.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...angerous-is-it

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonground View Post
I read an article the other day in which they sited rear end collisions with motorcycles becoming the most common type of hazard. Electronic devices were the cause of most driver distractions.
That is scary to think about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer View Post
Isn't it funny how inventions we create to help and improve our lives get used to an excessive and dependent level. So much so they become more of a hazard than a benefit. It's all because of greed. Slayer what you said is completely correct and all that is derived from personal greed, selfishness, and entitlement.
"But I need to talk to my friend right now, I'll be safe when I do it. I won't cause and accident. I'm a good driver."

And now we are designing more and more cars with lcd touch screens that create even more distractions. If it isn't bad enough with what we bring along for the ride now our cars are adding to the problem. Follow me for a second please...I am going to assume all of us have owned a cellular phone with actual buttons on it. Same as a car with a conventional radio and climate controls. Once we learned where the buttons were we could pretty much operate it without actually looking at. But what happened when you switched over to a phone with a touch screen? You had to actually take the time and look where you were placing your finger. The same applies to a touch screen in a car. Where you could once reach over and pick a radio station blindfolded now requires you to actually remove your eyes off the road to make sure you touch the correct spot. And now Chevy is making their vehicles wireless hotspots. Just another self induced distraction if you ask me.
I totally agree with you on this, more LCD touch screens that require on to look at the screen to know what they are doing is way more dangerous than the older tactile tech. I do know some companies are working on an LCD screen with a tactile input so you can feel the screen for certain bumps before pressing the selection. That is at least a step in the right direction.

2007 VStar 1300 Touring (road trip/weekend bike)
2003 FZ-1 (daily commuter)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode