Be careful out there - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Be careful out there

I was on the last leg of a 550 km ride going through a medium size town. I had just passed the last stop light and traffic was starting to speed up. I was in the left lane on the 4 lane. There was a pickup beside me and I had a box truck in front of me. All of a sudden the box truck made a hard lane change in front of the pick up. The truck just missed the pick up and I looked at it and thought WTF was his problem. Then I noticed why he did it. There was a vehicle stoppedin the leftane with no brake or turn signal lights. I said Oh S and grabbed brakes. I got on the brakes too hard as the bike went sideways when the rear locked. I got off the brake then reapplied and the rear stepped out to the right. I thought I was going to low side so I stuck out my left leg and jammed it on the pavement. The bike straightened up and I stopped about 2 feet from his rear bumper
When I jammed my leg out I shock loaded my hip and blew the bursa sack. My entire leg is purple and for a week now walking is a bitch. I peeled all the skin off of my big toe somehow and it hurts like H. Bottom line is I broke my own rules of. Always position yourself so you have a way out. Never ride so close that you can't see what is ahead of you. Give yourself lots of breaking room and stay alert. I have been riding since 1972 so I am no newbe but by not paying attention and breaking my own rules I almost kissed the pavement. I am still sore as H but the bike stayed upright and I learned or relearned my lesson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

sorry to hear, but glad you're OK and didn't end up as roadkill. thanks for sharing. did you have an escape path on either side of the vehicle?

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

The problem was I couldn't go into the right lane because the pick up was on the brakes so he wouldn't rear end the box truck and I couldn't go around the stopped vehicle because of on coming traffic and the fact that he may turn left. If he did turn left he would have turned into me. I chalked it up to brain fade and kicked myself in the ass as I could blame the vehicle for not having working lights or the box truck driver for not noticing that the vehicle was stopped but in fact it was my fault for putting myself in a position of not having an out. Bruises heal and the lesson was learned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 10:29 PM

Garage
I find that always having your 'exit paths' (plural) in mind is the hardest thing to remember/adhere to when riding. I'm certainly guilty of not doing so. Sucks that you're injured, but glad it wasn't worse. Don't beat yourself up too much, you coulda done a lot worse / been hurt a lot worse. The very sequence of events/thoughts you run through shows more skill than many would be able to display.

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Yes it could have been a lot worse. I joked with a buddy who rides that my Royal Star Venture doesn't flat track anywhere near as well as my dirt bike. I will never know if sticking my foot out saved me from the low side but I didn't go down. The big bruise on the back of my leg matches up real nice with the heal part of the heal toe shifter. Went for a ride after supper today and there was a thunder storm moving in. I really liked the small changes in temperature I could feel and I could smell the storm coming. Then the wind picked up a bit and I watched the sky turn black. Made it home just as the rain started. Damn it is great to be on a bike. Just don't get that in a cage.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Just one more comment. My riding buddy said that "Shreik it is a good thing you are 6 ft 5 and 300+ pounds ". I didn't know if I should laugh or hit him ********* So I laughed and poured him another Scotch
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 05:17 AM

Glad to hear that you are kinda OK. That's sounds like what we pilots refer to as: "Flying Into A Box Canyon". Good thing you were alone and didn't have a group with you.

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 06:00 AM

On your next bike you may want to consider ABS.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 11:12 AM

Garage
I'm with everyone else OR, just glad you're ok.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 11:26 AM

Glad you are not hurt worse than you are and glad you didn't go down.

I appreciate the reminder. Today as I rode to and from my office twice (I forgot my keys), I caught myself creeping up and following too close, not tailgating, but too close for safe riding. Your situation is a good reminder on several levels.

2013 Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode