So just how comfortable are you riding in the rain? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

So just how comfortable are you riding in the rain?

So I have rode many years in my life and have never had a close call of any sorts riding in the rain...but for some reason I cannot seem to 'relax' when the road is wet...

Not really talking a damp road but active, rain falling, water on the road situation.

So just how normal am I? I am not fond of riding tense, I feel that is a prime way of making a mistake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 11:36 PM

I'm a beginner. But being careful and alert, and a bit nervous, will probably serve you well when the road is wet. I've yet to ride in the rain so I know I will be nervous as heck. I'll be nervous in dry conditions for a while. Better safe than sorry!!!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 08:03 AM
eGo

For a period of about 1 year all I had as a means of transportation was a motorcycle. So rain, shine, sleet or snow I had to go. Had a 1 hour drive each way to work. I'm not going to say I got comfortable, but I got more familiar with it. Since I knew the road very well, I knew what areas to avoid when raining (i.e. where water would pool/stand). I will say the one thing you will NEVER get used to is the people changing lanes in front of you. Cagers don't realize how far back the spray their tires throws up goes and if you spend any amount of time riding in the rain, you will get sprayed at least once. I NEVER found a solution to keeping my visor clear on my helmet when it was raining. So, typically, I just rode with it up. What was even more fun was riding to work in the rain in 30 degree weather.. The only thing that saved me was my Carhart Artic Coveralls (water proof and wind proof) my Georgia work books (water proof) and gloves.. I actually NEVER found a pair of gloves I liked that kept my hands warm and didn't make them tired. So, take it from somebody who spent a lot of time driving in the wet cold rain. If you don't have to, don't. The cagers will piss you off to no end by keeping you wet and almost blind and having to do it on unfamiliar roads will drive you crazy constantly adjusting speed for unknown situations.

GL!

eGo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 08:50 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Hi Phil,

As eGo, I used to ride in all weather, and essentially the main precautions are to be prepared for the weather from a clothing perspective, and from a cagers' perspective and all stuff they throw at you (both lterally and metaphorically ).

A motorbike has the advantage that under normal conditions you don't get aquaplaning, essentially becaue the tires are round rather than flat - that is quite reassuring to start with .

This doesn't mean you should or can drive at the same speeds as you would normally do, however. Visibility of irregularities on the road and visibility in general is rather impaired, and quite a few surfaces become slippery with water on it, and braking distance gets longer as well as a result.

These days I prefer not to ride when it rains, but I will if it happens while on the road, or if it si just a minor drizzle. It is just one of those things. And I recently got some rain gear, just in case - easy to carry with the bags mounted . Over gear rain pants and a rain jacket do not take up a lot of space.

Kind regards, Wim

Own: 2006 Yamaha XV1900A Midnight Star, Black Cherry, with all the Strat S trims ( (2015-)
Owned: AMF Harley 350SS (1976-1977); Yamaha XS650 (1977-1979); 2012 Yamaha XVS1300A Midnight Star, Dark Grey Metallic G (2014-2015)
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 02:14 PM

Started riding in 1971 so I have seen my fair share of wet weather riding. I found that running premium tires and not running them to the wear bars was important and changing my riding style by backing down a notch was important. Also having more breaking distance and wearing Hi vis helped. Try to stay relaxed as riding tense can cause you to make mistakes
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Three years back I took my newly bought Strat to Myrtle Beach and on the way back I ran into the storm from hell. I was going across a bridge and the wind gust pushed me 2 lanes right and onto the breakdown lane...on the damn bridge! I made it two more miles and took surface streets to the house. The water was 5" deep in many areas due to the 'flash flood' effect. Cars passing by slowly hit me with so much water cast off it would knock me, pushing me across my lane...It was insane and of course not typical. I ended up seeking refuge under a bank drive through although I was only about 4 miles from the house. I was in full rain gear and soaked to my bones.

Since then, only showers.

Tuesday this week I was riding back from Myrtle Beach again and coming through Asheboro, a smallish town along hwy 220. The highway is two lanes but full of hills and semi sharp turns (for a highway) with on/off ramps not only on the outside lane but also in he center divide.

Evidently just before I came into Asheboro a heavy rain storm rolled through because the sun was out but the roads were soaked with standing water in places.

The problem is I ran up on this in a narrow section with concrete blocks (construction type) right on my left and an 18 wheeler on my right....car on my ass and an car coming down the on ramp to my left from the center divide....I have no idea how long it rained, I am in a curve, no idea if oil is still a factor, I have the trucks tandems on my high side to the right and to be honest, wasnt sure if I should swap the tire tracks from the inside, where I was to the outside, further away from the truck.....

So I decided to just screw it...if its my time its my time. I stuck to my tire track right up against the 18 wheeler, forgot the asshole on my rear fender and just eased off the throttle and never overtook the car coming down the ramp to my left.

In a dry situation, no problems..but the water made me second guess everything, turned a semi normal event into potential death everywhere I looked....remove the wet road..no biggie.

The description is weak but I may pull a map view of the road later to help you understand the situation.... But this is the reason for my post.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 08:33 PM

I don't ride in the rain unless I'm caught far from home on one of my day rides, when it's absolutely necessary. Having said that, I pay special attention to road snakes which can become very slippery when wet. The same can be said for the paint they use to mark lanes, crosswalks, no passing zones, etc. That paint becomes slippery when wet and all of the above are even more dangerous right after it starts raining because the water will float the oils, etc. on the road to the surface, making the asphalt slippery as well. If I'm going to have to ride when it rains, I always pull over or stop and wait a few minutes before continuing when it starts. Stay relaxed and don't tense up too much.

Jeff
BLUE BIKE CLUB
2012 V-Star 950T-Impact Blue

Kuryakyn ISO grips
Back-Off taillight modulator
OEM passing lights
OEM luggage rack
OEM engine guards, saddlebag guards and trim rails
Marlin Talon gauges
Show Chrome Headlight & Passing Light visors
Mustang 2 piece wide touring seat with backrest/studs
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 10:52 AM

Only caught in light showers on my Deluxe. Not too bad. Windscreen stays visible. But, on my old '79 KZ650SR (I really did love that bike) I had a Windjammer fairing with lowers and rode in whatever weather that allowed my invincible self to arrive at my next mortality challenge (yeah, I was much younger). And, if a girl was involved, I might not have worn a helmet. Wet hair is easier to comb that helmet head.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 03:33 PM

I live in the Pacific Northwest... or Northwet. If you don't ride in the rain here, you don't ride much at all.

I'm not saying I enjoy it - I don't - but riding in the rain isn't that much more difficult if you have good tires and rain gear. Just take it slow and easy with your inputs, and assume that you need more room to stop.

2014 Yam 650 Custom
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Chances are I can trust my grip/bike/road much more than I do but after years of riding I figured it would have came by now...just cant seem to shake the thought that bad shit will happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode