Riding in the rain? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Riding in the rain?

I'm supposed to be riding from Texas to Arkansas this weekend to ride the Talimena Drive but there is a strong chance of thunderstorms in my area on Friday. The weather forecast clears up mostly in Arkansas. Sould I risk it and go or just cancel my trip? What's your opinion on riding in the rain?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 03:30 PM

Unhappy

I personally think it depends on a lot of things:

In no particular order...
1. How confident are you in your riding abilities?
2. What kind of rain gear do you have?
3. How bad is the storm going to be? Long heavy showers or short heavy showers or light rain all day or...?
4. If you do get caught in it will there be somewhere to wait out the worst of it?
5. How badly do you want to do the ride in Arkansas?! Will it still be fun if it's wet?

I got caught once on an interstate in torrential rain... idiots in cages speeding past, nowhere to pull over (not even a curb lane) and I could barely see 100ft in front of me. Scariest ride of my life and not something I would ever tempt fate with again.

Go with your gut and be safe
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 04:16 PM
Banned

I'd go if I were you. I get soaked in heavy rain numerous times every summer as there is always a chance of thunder storms during the dog days of summer here. The worst is riding at night in the rain, I can certainly do without that ever again. That happened to me on a long trip out to Nova Scotia, I checked into my hotel, dripping water all over the hotel lobby. Every lamp in my room was lit all night but with my riding gloves and leather jacket draped over them to help them dry. On the way home, guess what? yep, more rain.

But if you see professional storm chaser vehicles on the same road your on, get the hell outta there fast.

Last edited by stratowart; 05-09-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 05:28 PM

I started riding more when there is a risk of rain because i want the experience 'under my belt'. I plan on doing some road trips in the future and i want to be prepared. The way i see it, i get the experience and i get to start working out the bugs in my rain gear (among other things). Sometimes it also makes for an interesting stories around the campfire

Go for it!

Flatulence is natures way of reminding us to laugh at ourselves.

The views expressed above are those of the author and may, or may not, express the views of those around me. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. No animals were harmed in the typing of this messege.

'05 V-Star 1100 Midnight Custom
slightly modified
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 09:21 PM

If your tires are good and have a full face helmet and shield then go for it.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 12:13 AM

It may dampen some of the enjoyment, but I'd go anyway. Been in rain plenty. Not on purpose, but we can't control mother nature when we are miles from home. Slow and steady as she goes.

2003 V Star 1100 Custom
My Trixie has:
Corbin seat
Tons of Kuryakyn chrome accy's
Vance and Hines Classics exhaust
SS Chubby pod kit
Barnett clutch
Blue L.E.D's
Custom aluminum wheels
Hard bags/touring trunk w/quick release
National Cycle Switchblade windshield
Cycle Sounds Series 2 audio system
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

that's a looooong trip to be in the rain the whole way

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 06:26 PM

M'Lady makes some good points. I just came back from a road trip and did some riding in the rain. My gear is great. I felt comfortable. My bike road very well too. Minimal traffic to worry about on the roads I went on. I had a full face, but no shield, and even wore fingerless gloves. I felt fine.

2000 VStar 1100 Custom
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 10:36 PM
Lifetime Premium

Riding in the rain with good tires is not a bad thing. Have ridden in many storms.
the more protection you have the better. Road snakes could become an issue. You
Cant see them in a heavy storm. So ride safe, but don't miss out on a great time because
of some thunderstorms

Jack Schade
2009 Roadstar Silverado
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 10:50 AM

Garage
Jack_2bad - What are road snakes? Are they literally snakes on the roads or is it another name for something else???

For me, I've always shy'd away from riding in the rain (coming from the world of sport bikes where I only rode within town). But I do plan on doing much longer rides at some point and I know I'll be hitting not so ideal weather down the line. I'd say go for it and pull over somewhere safe when it gets too much for you and just wait it out. And don't ride when it's dark and rainy.

2003 Yamaha V Star 1100 Classic
Tsukayu Coner Saddlebags | Tsukayu Tour Pack | Kuryakyn Driver Floorboard Covers | Kuryakyn Passenger Floorboards | Kuryakyn Clear Signal Lens | Kuryakyn Levers | MHI Rumble Road Speakers | Baron Risers | Mustang Seats | Highway Bars | Passing Lights | Lower Shields | Light Visors | Windshield | K&N Air Filter | Metzeler ME 880 | GPS Mount | Crampbuster | Throttle Lock | LED Lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode