Brake Line angle - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Brake Line angle

After installing a new handlebar on my bike I had to adjust some of the lines. The only funky looking one now is the brake line. I had to loosen the banjo bolt and aim the brake line up to the 9 oclock position because when it exited downward it cause a sharp kink.

With that said can you see any issues with this setup? The only thing I can think of that might be an issue is bleeding the brake system since bubbles may want to sit at the top.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 10:41 AM

I can't "see" any issues at all. Got a pic?

When you say 9 o'clock do you mean from the seated position and the bike off the kickstand? That shouldn't be a problem.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 11:04 AM

You don't have to, but, personally I would reroute it just because I don't like tight bends and stress at joints (banjo bolt connection to the brake line). There's nothing to fear, but if you keep the handlebars and ever consider new brake lines I'd select a line more appropriately sized for those bars (which is a bit ironic since most of the time the issue with new cruiser bars is lines are too short).

You could keep the loop from going up if you ditch the factory cable guide and relocate the hold down point. If you can move that point closer to the center of the triple tree you could get some of that tight radius out and maybe come straight out of the master cylinder instead of pointing up. Try it with some zip ties and see what you come up with. There are many cable clamps available in the aftermarket.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar

Last edited by sparkn; 07-03-2015 at 11:10 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Now if I re route them should they be secured like they are from factory in the little clip with the rubber bushing or can they just dangle?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 11:20 AM

The lower clamp is important because it holds the line in place while the forks move up and down. The other clamps are to make it look good and stay kink and snag free. Stay in that zone of thinking and you'll be fine. A little rustling in the wind won't hurt it. Remember, it's a motorcycle. The parts are pretty rugged.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar

Last edited by sparkn; 07-03-2015 at 11:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode