First ride - 46 miles - was a blast! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up First ride - 46 miles - was a blast!

Just took the bike out last night for a 46 mile round trip ride. Was a blast!

I only got one key with the bike - how do I get a copy made? This is a 2007 Yamaha V-Star 650. Do I need to go to a Yamaha dealer to have it done? Or can any locksmith make one?

A few things -

The engine sound I hear with my face mask closed is obviously different than with it open. Seems like I can cruise along nicely between 35-50 in 3rd gear. Shift to 4th on long flat stretches of 40mph+. 5th seems like an overdrive gear, I used it once at around 55mph but only briefly.

When I stopped at the 23 mile point (where I turned around to come back home for dinner with the wife) I went in to a store and bought a drink. When I came back to the bike a few minutes later to start it, it didn't want to start up easily. Obviously the engine was hot. I found I had to give it a small amount of gas to get it to fire up. Normal?

My left mirror was loose when I picked up the bike from the dealer. I had to turn it around a bit to tighten it up but now it is pointing up too much compared to the right one, so I can't see as well with it. Do these mirrors get out of whack easily? I guess I'll have to play with it a bit to find out.

I know this is in the manual, but what is the proper psi for the front tire and the rear tire? I haven't checked them yet.

Thanks all!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 01:44 PM

If that key has a little metal tag on it, you can just have it ordered. The tag would have a 5 digit alpha-numberic on it.

Edit: Whoops that was dealer login. See your dealer.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkn View Post
If that key has a little metal tag on it, you can just have it ordered. The tag would have a 5 digit alpha-numberic on it.

Edit: Whoops that was dealer login. See your dealer.
No metal tag on this key, unfortunately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Follow up

So I just rode an additional 55 miles this morning.

I am feeling a bit of play in the front forks when I am on the highway doing 60. Needless to say it freaks the heck out of me and makes me want to slow down. Is this something to do with the tire being a bit old or is this something loose? I would give up some suspension softness to get rid of this. I'd like to feel stable at 60mph on the freeway (not that I am riding on the freeway much but there are brief periods that I do to get from one byway to another).

Found I am getting around 45mpg or so based on my most recent stop at a gas station. No complaints about that!

Fixed the mirror this morning before I rode. The toolkit that came with the bike was in the side compartment with the owners manual, and there was a wrench in there for the mirror.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 04:12 PM

When I got my Yamaha Majesty, there was only one key and no tag. I took the key and the bike to a locksmith, and he had no trouble duplicating the key. Since I had the bike there, I was able to verify proper operation before I left. In fact, I had him make two duplicates, so I can lock the original in my safe and still have two for use.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 05:28 PM

not sure about Yammys but on my Honda, you could look on the bottom of the ignition for the key number. Anyone know if this is true with Yamaha?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 08:28 PM

It's only worth it if you want a new master anyway. Since you don't have the code (it's probably on the ignition, FWIW), just get a blank and a locksmith. You may need the bike and registration before he'll cut it.

The key code for the 1300 is YH63 or YM63. I don't know if the 650 uses the same blank or not.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar

Last edited by sparkn; 07-04-2015 at 08:32 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 11:06 PM

The key is no problem - I've got a 2007 650 v star custom, and I just took the key to a locksmith and they made me a couple of copies. Check them to make sure they work in all the locks.

Sounds like you got the mirrors adjusted.......

Of course, I wasn't there too observe your starting problem, but I suspect it's no big deal. Mine usually starts up easily when warm, but I've had a couple of times where it didn't go the first time - then it can be stubborn. If it's a consistent problem, it could be running a bit rich ( assuming it starts right up when cold).

I'm not sure what you're experiencing with the front forks. Are you new to riding? My first time on the freeway, I felt like I was going to shake to pieces. If you haven't ridden much at highway speeds, it could be just in your head. If you're experienced and it still feels odd, I'd get it checked out - my guess would be a tire problem - maybe out of balance. Keep in mind, there's quite a bit of vibration on this bike above 65 mph. If your tire is old or worn unevenly, I'd replace it.

I think my tires are inflated at 40 psi. There's a sticker on the frame below the gear shift, or you can look it up in the manual.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 08:03 AM

+1 on the locksmith. I tried first at the dealership. Parts guy looked at me like I had just asked for his first born. If you want you can order blanks on ebay for around $8 each I believe. I went to a local locksmith. He had blanks for every style Yama ever made looked like. Had three made for $2 and change each.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Called a local locksmith this morning. Asked if I need to show him the registration. He said no, as long as I have the key, he will copy it for me. I will have 3 made as well. Can't hurt to have more than one spare!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode