Where to buy Viking Saddlebags - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Where to buy Viking Saddlebags

Ok, so the wife and I are ready to bite the bullet and add some saddlebags to our '14 V Star 950. Anyway, for the price we have it narrowed down to the Viking Rondo bags:

http://www.vikingbags.com/yamaha-v-s...-9031-prd1.htm

Just wondering if anyone has some input on good dealer/online store to buy from with good pricing or will all be pretty close to Viking's pricing? I know someone had posted a site once they use to get them, but most other sites don't list them for the V Star 950, of course...

All input appreciated as we are ready to purchase!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 05:19 AM
Super Moderator

i couldn't find them anywhere else for that price

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 06:59 PM

I hope you have better luck with their saddle bags than my son had with the sissy bar bag he bought from them. The plastic snaps are so cheaply made that they all either managed to either break or pull out on the first day of our trip....most of them the very first time we tightened them down. I'm glad we had plenty of bungee cords and zip ties. He sent the bags back for a refund immediately when we got home and bought something that will last.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick – 6* Tree - 2" extended forks – 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock – Pods – Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 09:46 PM

I have the "Midnight Lamellar Lg. Blk. Saddlebags" by Viking . I bought them diesct from the Viking website .They are listed at $289 right now . They seem to be of good quality. I did have a hood latch bolt work loose and put some red permatex on it when I put it back together . On my Road Star the biggest issue is getting bag clearance on the drive belt guard . I don`t know about the bags you are looking at but my hard bags are nice . Maybe a wee bit smaller than I would like .
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

I hope I have good luck with them, too! From searches on here and elsewhere on the web, most people seem pleased with them that have had for a few years, but there are some here and there that have had issues.

And looking at their offerings there are definitely some that look much cheaper and like they would fall apart just in the pictures. Hoping the ones we picked are a little better than that!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Well, got the bags and finally got them installed. What a PITA! First, the supplied mounting bolts for the hard install were too short because of the Cobra sissy bar. Came with 70mm length had to find 90mm bolts to work. And then one of the stock bolts holding the side trim/sissy bar was stuck in there. Had to run to dealership to get that out which they did, luckily.

Then getting the bags bolts installed and in was another PITA, but once done, it looks good and happy with them, especially for the money. Seem to be nice quality and look nice on the bike.

Here is current pictures:

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 05:14 PM

Watch to make sure they clear the belt guard. I had a heck of a time getting my bags to not smack on the guard.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 05:19 PM

Bounce up and down on the rear seat to see if the mounting brackets don`t smack into the belt guard. I had to go with different mounting brackets on my hardbags from Viking. All is fine now , but it took a lot of maneuvering.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for that input. Will have to check that. Have not had a chance to ride it since finishing the install.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Hey all, listen to Jim's warning. I installed the Viking bags on my '14 V Star 950. With no one on the bike we were fine, with two on the rear most bracket mount was touching top of belt guard.

Stupid me, should have stopped there and figured out a solution, but decided to go for a ride. Ended up tearing up the upper belt guard and rubbing the bracket against the outside edge of the rear sprocket. Luckily don't seemed to have damaged the belt or the sprocket enough to affect drivability.

That being said, new upper belt guard ordered. Glad I didn't have to order new sprocket as that is like $500! Solution we are trying? Had to find even longer mounting bolts (120mm!) and two 1" spacers. Spacers are mounted between the bike and bag bracket to push them out further. Also cranked up the rear shock pre-load two more clicks. Actually did that on ride home to try and stop the rubbing. Like the ride better now. Think we are now at 5 or 6 out of 9 on the shock pre-load.

New upper belt guard should be in by Friday. Get that mounted up and make sure we are good clearance wise and try this again. Bag is still very stable and doesn't move around which I was a bit worried about with the additional 1" spacer on there. Pretty much no movement.

So, bit of a warning to you all. Bag quality I am happy with, but just be careful on the mounting. Would fit fine if their mounting bracket had an additional 1" for the top part there and longer bolts with the kit, but it didn't. Hopefully that is all it takes...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode