Gloves - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Gloves

Just rode in to work and even though it's a balmy 7 C, my fingers are frozen! Any recommendations for good gloves that aren't too bulky yet keep the fingers warm?

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

2009 V Star 950 Tourer
Priors include 2005 Suzuki Boulevard 800
1981 Yamaha 750 Virago
1979 Honda 400 Hawk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 09:18 AM

These are the exact gloves I have:
http://www.amazon.com/Joe-Rocket-Velocity-Motorcycle-1056-4006/dp/B002MB4H8G
They're good for spring/summer/fall at keeping my hands warm, but not quite enough for winter. They aren't bulky and offer good mobility, thin enough that you can still feel things through them, but do a pretty good job at keeping my hands warm.

2001 Yamaha Roadstar
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 09:20 AM

Have you considered heated grips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 10:15 AM
Banned

Go get yourself some heated gloves. I have Gerbings and I've had them a looooonnnnggg time, and it looks like there are going to last even longer, and the've been thru a lot of bad weather. They aren't bulky at all. If you buy heated grips, guess what, you still need gloves, something to think about.
It's gotten warmer here now and this morning was the first time this year where I didn't plug in the gloves. They come with a long harness that you pass inside your jacket which allows you to plug in each glove and after you sit down on the bike you plug in the harness end that hangs out of your jacket at the waistline. That end plugs into the battery tender lead or add one of the battery leads that comes with the gloves. I normally plug in when it is 8C or colder.

Last edited by stratowart; 05-17-2012 at 10:19 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 11:28 AM

if you don't go heated i have a pair of pokerun winter gloves and they are awesome,look awesome as well.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
Have you considered heated grips?
I have thought about it - used to have 'em on my Boulevard and loved them. Haven't looked into the cost yet (just ordered a few things for the bike so gotta watch the $$). Figured gloves might be a little more cost effective.

2009 V Star 950 Tourer
1981 Yamaha 750 Virago
1979 Honda 400 Hawk
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Guys - I'll look into all three options! Haven't heard of "pokerun" winter gloves but I'll see what I can find!

2009 V Star 950 Tourer
1981 Yamaha 750 Virago
1979 Honda 400 Hawk
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 05:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratowart View Post
Go get yourself some heated gloves. I have Gerbings and I've had them a looooonnnnggg time, and it looks like there are going to last even longer, and the've been thru a lot of bad weather. They aren't bulky at all. If you buy heated grips, guess what, you still need gloves, something to think about.
It's gotten warmer here now and this morning was the first time this year where I didn't plug in the gloves. They come with a long harness that you pass inside your jacket which allows you to plug in each glove and after you sit down on the bike you plug in the harness end that hangs out of your jacket at the waistline. That end plugs into the battery tender lead or add one of the battery leads that comes with the gloves. I normally plug in when it is 8C or colder.
Same for me. The Gerbing gloves are great, and they give you a lot of dexterity, too.

2002 V-Star 1100 Classic
Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing
Dragbar Handlebars
National Cycle Cruiseliner Saddlebags
7" LED Headlight with 4.5" LED Driving Lights
Corbin Seat
Engine Guard with Kuryakyn Pegs
Chubby Intake with TimB's PMS Thumbscrews
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 01:45 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to SuzanOB
Gloves that work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie View Post
Just rode in to work and even though it's a balmy 7 C, my fingers are frozen! Any recommendations for good gloves that aren't too bulky yet keep the fingers warm?

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
Earlier in the year, mid winter or so I bought a pair of unlined deerskin zippered gauntlets from Bbarbwholesale.com. I love these gloves!! They are sewn to match the curve of your fingers and for women that is really important just because of the strength factor. I love everything about these gloves insomuch as I can wear them all through the summer as well and they are stylish and fairly sleek looking with the short zippered gauntlet. They do keep my fingers warmer than I expected. I know that in CA it gets nowhere as frigid as in other parts of the country, but it does get bone chilling cold here in the winter months in the central valley. I have finally ( it's only taken me 35 years of riding) decided that this winter I am going to bite the bullet and buy a pair of Gerbing heated gloves. I have arrived at a place in my head that says you've ridden all these years with these ridiculously cold hands when they could've been warm the whole time. Do you think you'll be riding next year? And the next and the next and so on? Then just get the heated gloves and be done with it. Nobody really cares whether I have an iron butt or tough nut fingers and what they think really isn't my biz.

There are old riders and bold riders, but not a lot of old, bold riders. Shiny side up.

2009 V Star 950
2006 Road Star Silverado 1700

Last edited by SuzanOB; 05-20-2012 at 01:49 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 06:35 PM
krb

I've been through several gloves over the past couple years and the best I've found are from http://www.foxcreekleather.com/ The main problem I had with other gloves is that the thumbs were too short. With my hand wrapped around the grip, the thumb tip was pressed tight against the end of the glove so there was no room for a pocket of air to exist, which means my thumb were freezing even if the rest of my hand was okay.

For summer I am wearing the basic, unlined gloves. Over the winter I was wearing the insulated gauntlets. The gauntlet part is important in cold or rain because it's keeps wind from blowing up you sleeves.

The gauntlets by themselves are (IMO) good down to about 40 so they are not enough for full winter but they are good for all but the coldest months and when combined with wind deflectors over my hands they were fine in below freezing temps at highway speeds.

I picked up some heated liners on clearance a couple months ago and will try them out next winter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode