headlight modulators - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

headlight modulators

I am strongly thinking about getting one. These should work when I get my light bar too is that correct? I just want to modulate the headlight and not light bar ( when I get it). Any recommendations on what brand to go with?

I have even went out and bought a reflective safety vest in hopes that those cagers get a clue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 03:23 PM

Personal viewpoint only!!!

I think that a headlight modulator is kind of dangerous... Yes the cagers might notice you more but it isn't necessarily the kind of notice you want. In some parts of the country a flashing headlight is a signal for an oncoming car to go ahead and turn. A car blithely turning in front of you when you don't expect it is BAD. Also, I have been in a situation where a fellow rider came up behind me with a headlight modulator. The cager in front of me noticed the flashing and thought something was wrong and hit the brakes... hard... with me behind. I managed to swerve around her but it was a close call. My other problem with a headlight modulator is can you turn the damn thing off at night when you really need to be able to see?

That being said I REALLY like "back off" lights (rear light flashes when you tap the brakes)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

You have some valid points. They do not modulate at night. I have seen a bike or 2 around my parts with a back off or something similar I think that is a kool add on as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 07:01 PM

One of the first things I did was mount a modulator. Have to go get the name....started with a "K" ????

Lots of discussion both sides of the issue.

Legally the modulator has a daylight sensor so it will not flash at night

I believe that it makes me far more recognizable and stands out from all of the solid on daylight running lights from the autos
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 08:15 PM

Garage
I have had one for about a year and a half. Brand is SignalDynamics (http://www.signaldynamics.com/). It modulates the headlight only (you add a harness (you’ll need to buy that, too) in the headlamp) and it turns “off” automatically with a photo sensor so the headlight just stays “on". I have no doubt it makes you more visible as I see cagers turn and look as I pass them, and I have had no one confusing it with a go-ahead-and-turn-in-front-of-me-signal.

On a kind of funny related note, two separate cars of older folks pulled over the other day as I came upon them about a mile from where a local motorcycle cop was giving tickets. I think I gave them a bit of a fright.

I also have the modulator for the brake light.

2002 V-Star 1100 Classic
Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing
Dragbar Handlebars
National Cycle Cruiseliner Saddlebags
7" LED Headlight with 4.5" LED Driving Lights
Corbin Seat
Engine Guard with Kuryakyn Pegs
Chubby Intake with TimB's PMS Thumbscrews
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I am going to think on it over this long weekend for us canucks
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 09:50 AM

Me experience so far has been positive also.

I have the same device installed, but didn't need any other harness, as it has an input and output wire for both hi and low beam, was simple, other than having to be carefull in placing the module in the headlight housing, it's kind of tight in the Stratoliner.
I too have noticed the cage drivers doing a double take upon seeing my highbeam pulsing, one of our local troopers just had to tell me my headlight was flashing, maybe he thought it was a antitheft device, but when I said it's a good thing and DOT and Maryland MVA recommended, he smiled and went on his way. I do have some people that pull over for me, I just wave and take advantage of the new space lol. I use a long safe follow distance as this thing is pretty bright and does light up the road signs everywhere I go. Especially at dusk which is probably one of the worst times needing the most visiblity. So I vote go for it. Mine is wired for both hi/low and can be turned off by a fast hi/low toggle of your beam selector switch.
I also have the see me now flashing LEDS on my trunk and rear fender. This does the trick, most effect at night and in the bad grey raining days, it does keep the cages back. So all is good.
OH and another observation, concerning the people who flash you for LEO ahead warnings lol, maybe this Headlight pulser has some extra duties that may help with safety on the road for all drivers. I also get waved at allot. Who knows if they just love bikes or think I'm on a motor unit with the local PD's and they are saying hello to a fellow LEO. MSP, Maryland state police bikes have brown fairings, my Memphis Shade is Gloss black ?

07 Stratoliner S with MS Batwing, MS lowers, Buck lowers, custom large trunk rack, King tourpack trunk, air horn, See me Now tail light and headlight pulser mods. Led lighting all over. Night rider tail light setup on the trunk.

Last edited by dcody40; 05-21-2012 at 09:55 AM. Reason: details
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 11:42 AM

Someone posted a rant the other day about people waving others to turn in front of them, holding up traffic as they did so. He made a good point about the unsafe aspect of doing the unexpected--causing confusion for drivers around them. I believe people pulling over for a headlamp modulator falls under the same category. If you cause someone to do something unexpected there is an unsafe aspect to it. Perhaps HL mod's are a net positive safety 'feature', but be prepared for some confusion.

I do like the brake modulators. A lot.

And, I AM a big fan of Illudium PU-36 Explosive Space Modulators!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Marvin.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	1833  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 12:32 PM

Some good points both ways.

I wondered about the confusion factor myself a few times, but I still watch like a hawk coming up to any intersection, I feel most people understand it, as it's a bike, they do see me, no worry there, and yep, I even have the once in awhile cager that does go ahead and pull out, but as all of our riding experience teaches us, no fancy dodad will solve every problem, I still watch every cager, I still assume someone may do a stupid, or just not be paying attention, so it's not a perfect solution but I feel it's better than a steady daylight headlight. Has anyone see the Patrol cars with wig wag headlights, you can see them real well at a distance, this is the same effect. Now with time to educate the cage drivers, and also the adoption of these pulsars on more and more bikes, it does help us out in the long run, I'm also seeing more and more pulsing headlights every month, we will still have the plain jane headlights forever. At night I just toggle my hi/low beam switch while coming near and into an intersection, I also flash it when I'm going to make a move in multilane traffic and when I'm moving around 18 wheelers, I always blast pass these big rigs, I know they have more blind spots than 20 cages. Every little bit of protection, or hey I'm here, and moving, helps in the long run.
I even do the thanks to the truckers with the zillion tail lights on my bike, when they do me a favor. We have to stay alive and safe out there. I been a firm believer for years that an international orange riding suit, an orange or yellow bike with strobes won't do the trick either. So it's still the invisable man for me. The LEDs and bright pulser headlamp add to our being seen out there. I do give the cages a break once in awhile when I'm blinding them near dusk by going to low beam, as the high beam is plenty bright. Thankfully it's aimed properly as I seldom get flashed by oncoming cages. Actually I see so many wrongly adjusted headlights on cars and trucks, but that's another topic. Enjoy !

07 Stratoliner S with MS Batwing, MS lowers, Buck lowers, custom large trunk rack, King tourpack trunk, air horn, See me Now tail light and headlight pulser mods. Led lighting all over. Night rider tail light setup on the trunk.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Yesterday I was on a charity ride, and along the way there was a bike coming in the other direction with a modulator headlight, I noticed a group of cars that just pulled over to let him by. At first thought even I thought there was a problem then it hit me That thing is bright and it must get the attention of those who just need a eye opener.
Down side is when the cars pulled over they had to kick up gravel from the side of the road
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode