Did it run out of gas? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Did it run out of gas?

I have a vstar 1300 (2005) fuel injected. I had the tank off while working on the CB so I drained it before trying to reinstall. That tank is a pain to remove even with very little fuel.

It was not completely empty but I did put about 1 gallon back in. We road the bike about 20 miles or so without the bike indicating it was on reserve or the low fuel like coming on.

Well it died tonight like it ran out of gas. It started a few times but would not stay running. I put a gallon of fuel in and it seem to get worse then would not fire at all. I added two more gallons of fuel and the tank was full. This suggested to me that it was not really out of fuel since 3 gallons of fuel should not have filled a completely empty tank.

The bike would still not start and would not fire at all. I loaded the bike on the trailer and brought it home. This all took about an hour or so. When I unloaded the bike into the garage I tried to start it again and it fired right up.

So now I am left wondering what in the world happened and more importantly, is it going to happen again.

Anyone else have this kind of problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Update and what is that thing next to the O2 sensor

So it ran and then died again.

It felt like a clogged fuel filter so I went searching. I looked under the cover where I made the O2 sensor modification and found a small reservoir that the rubber cover was off of.

So what is this thing and could the lid being loose on it cause this problem.

Two, where is the fuel filter on this bike

And three, where can I get a much needed service manual. Are they available on line as a PDF. Wouldn't that be great.

If anyone would like a photo I think I can figure out how to post a photo or I'll email you one.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 09:33 PM

I looked in my Clymer manual and there is no reference to a fuel filter. It's probably integrated into another assembly.

The reservoir may be the rear brake reservoir. Pictures would help.

Augie

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Well that was a little to good to be true. When I went to take a photo I investigated further by pulling the hose all the way out and it is clearly the radiator overflow reservoir. Dam it.

I have the PDF of the service manual up and so far no reference to a fuel filter. This just cannot be the case that there is no fuel filter. It is a fuel injected motor. There were no less than 5 or 6 screens or filters on my BMW 2002 Tii. That took a long time to trouble shoot that one. I think on that one I got it running only to have it die several mile from home and then get towed away while I was home sleeping off the beers I had to celebrate finally getting it running.

So could it have something to do with a bad connection on the resistor I put in the wire for the O2 sensor? That was done before the new block connector came in so it has some extra wire wrapped around things down there. It was my understanding that the bike would run even without the O2 sensor.

I'll keep reading through the Service Manual to see what I can find.

Thanks for the help
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

More info

I think it might also be significant that I did handle the fuel tank enough during the removal and replacement that if there was any sediment in there I could have washed it around enough to send it into the system. This could explain the initial running but subsequent fuel starvation (or so I believe it to be)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Call me stupid, no maybe really stupid but I just reached up under the tank after removing the rear bolts to see if maybe something was pinched and decided to see if I could turn the fuel shut off petcock.

We it was horizontal (9:00 to 3:00). I turned it to the 12:00 position and guess what. The bike started. If I pull the tank again am I going to see and on/off marking on that petcock. I suppose something could have been pinched and I just opened it but then I just closed the fuel petcock so it should not have started.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Yes I am really stupid. I just found the picture in the manual and the 12:00 position is the open position.

This has to rank up there with one of the dumber things I have done. Hard to believe I still have a perfectly running 1988 venture that I work on. But I did run it out of fuel last year after putting it all back together. I thought for sure it seriously broke down on it first run. I was so upset I did not think to check the fuel or the reserve setting on the petcock. After I could not figure out that I had to remove the cover on the gas can, I check the fuel petcock and sure enough it was in run and all I had to do was turn it to reserve. What is it with me and fuel petcocks.

This idiot is going to bed.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 08:27 AM

Garage
Glad you got it worked out geobob, and don't be to hard on yourself, we're all still learning.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 09:13 AM

Great, I hope that all you problems are resolved. Augie

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 12:07 PM

Glad ya got it goin again. And don't kick yourself too hard, happens to the best of us.

Sonysnek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode