toll roads - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

toll roads

anybody routinely take toll roads? if so, do you get charged every time? in the past several weeks, i was taking a couple toll roads home from Round Rock, TX to south Austin, TX. the path leads me through multiple checkpoints that take tolls (pictures), and i've taken the same path each time, at least 4 or 5 times now. here is the statement that i received during those 4 or 5 times:

besides on 06/27 when i actually went through one additional checkpoint than my usual route, each date should read identical in terms of how many checkpoints and the charges. so not all of them are charging/checking me, and there is at least 1 or 2 times in this statement period that doesn't even show up at all. the last time i went through, i consciously road with my tires directly on the white lines when approaching the checkpoints and none of them appear on this statement, unless that was on 07/09. but other than that, i just rode normally within my lanes.

i rarely go on toll roads and can't remember the last time i've been on one with my bike and received a charge for it. so is this normal for bikes? my license plate is side-mounted and vertical and slanted, so i wonder if that has any bearing.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 08:46 PM

Garage
I have not tried on the actual toll roads up in Orange County. There is an Express Lane I use a few times a month, but it is free for car pools, meaning free for Motorcycles. In fact, One can drive solo in the express lane with a transponder and pay the tolls, which I do on occasion when I am in my car, but if you drive solo in the express lane without a transponder and the CHP happens to see you, you can get a ticket.

2007 VStar 1300 Touring (road trip/weekend bike)
2003 FZ-1 (daily commuter)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 08:49 PM

I can't add anything, there's only one toll road in NC and it is about 70 miles away. It doesn't go anywhere I want to travel.

Sounds like you have found a way to slip through the cameras.

2013 Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 02:21 PM

Some states allow you a week to pay tolls, keep track of which gates gone through and pay online, if you use them or they send you a bill. They take pictures of plates and identify from there. I have not heard that a motorcycle is free. I try to check on states I'm traveling through before I go or I even call the DOT to find out specifics.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

it's not a question of motorcycles being able to travel for free, but whether or not they are getting noticed as they travel through checkpoints

on a steel horse I ride

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 07:47 PM

Garage
If you don't have an ezpass transponder and they can't read your license plate number from the camera then I guess they can't charge you. I would keep riding that white line lol
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 07:39 AM

Here is VA I put my bike on the vehicle list for my ezpass. Was told I couldn't use the ezpass for my bike because they were charged a different rate. But at the time they didn't have a transponder for a bike...WTH

If you are truly getting by and "cheating" the system, they will catch on soon and figure it out. Personally I would just keep doing what I am doing. You are driving through just like you are supposed to and it's not your fault the equipment isn't charging you. The few times I pass through here in VA w/o a transponder the photo I receive in the mail would clearly show a plate no matter where it was mounted.

What is your theory on why riding on the white line would have any effect on it?

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer View Post
If you are truly getting by and "cheating" the system, they will catch on soon and figure it out.

What is your theory on why riding on the white line would have any effect on it?
the first few times i took the tolls i was just riding normally so it must just be their equipment not picking me up properly. as for riding on the white lines, i heard it from somebody so i thought i'd try it. it appears to work.

on a steel horse I ride

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode