Honda F6B test-sit - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Honda F6B test-sit

I made an excuse to go for a ride yesterday afternoon, and chose a Honda motorcycle dealer as my destination. I have been reading a lot about the F6B, and wanted to sit on one to see how it felt. Observations:

Overall, I was disappointed in some things…

1. A helmet will not fit in either of the saddlebags, even though I read on the internets that a helmet will fit.

2. To access the saddlebags, one has to dismount the bike, insert a key in the trunk area (like a car without a remote trunk release), to unlock the latches for the saddlebags. What a PITA unless you never need to access the bags along the way…(now that I think about it…how often do I do that?? )

3. The audio system - a less than modern configuration. There is a connector for your phone's headphone jack, but it did not fit well along with my Otterbox protector. Even worse, someone at Honda thinks that one must play music and NOT charge their phone simultaneously; it is not possible to connect your charger to the phone AND have the phone connected to the audio jack at the same time. The power receptacle is corded, but one cannot close the weather-proof compartment while the cord is run into that compartment as the latch will not allow the panel to close. It is either the music, or the 12 V charger…not both...which then would require the panel to be open while riding or a separate mount for your phone. Also, the receptacle Honda provides requires a separate connector, to be purchased of course, because the factory power supply set up does not connect with any device.

4. I did not start or drive the bike; just wanted to sit on it. Good seating position, as I like having my feet directly under me (straight lower leg) or slightly out front; firm but compliant seat which would probably be comfortable for long distance. Lots of leg room. Much more than the regular Gold Wing with its backrest that eats up seat length.

I like it, but was not tempted at all. Meanwhile, the ol' 1100 drove me home last night through a thunderstorm at midnight, sure-footed as always. That was the first time I had ridden in anything other than a light sprinkle. Good thing I like because it appears as though I will be riding it for another year or two. The dealer's best price was $19,800 (MSRP $21,599) including a rebate. Not a bad deal if I was ready to buy. I think I will rig up a phone charger and get a RAM mount for the 1100…I need to be able to charge my phone while riding, and use the Mapquest app from time to time. The Ultimate seat is on its way, so I think this additions will tide me over for awhile. She is closing in on 40,000 miles!

Current Ride: 2013 Honda F6B

Former Rides:
2004 VStar 1100 Classic
2008 VStar 1100 Silverado
1982 Suzuki GS650S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 03:55 PM

Did you go to one of the Rochester dealerships ? I dunno man, its not popular hereon a Yammy site but I'd strongly consider test riding a Victory if you must. I wont even say Harley because everyone hates them (even though they've never ridden one). But either an HD or a Vic...well you will end up on one eventually so why wait? Jap bikes are no comparison to the heavyweight American bikes. And I say that having ridden them all.

Stop looking at those jap bikes and get a real one.

2008 Harley FLHTCU Electraglide
2008 V-Star 1100 Classic
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Yes, Canandaigua Motorsports. Victory Cross Country #2 on my list. Thing is, I read that the saddlebag covers rattle and the gauges are not always accurate; I hate that lack of detail in any machine (Jap bikes, sleds and ATVs are superbly built)…plus I LOVE that 6 cylinder motor…soooo smooth…but the Victory has a better audio system, locking system and is American made…very big plusses in my book, especially the last one.

Former Rides:
2004 VStar 1100 Classic
1982 Suzuki GS650S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 09:20 PM
eGo

I REALLY like the look of the NM4, I'm digging the futuristic style. But, the engine it too small for me. I also like the FB6, that might be something to look at later on.

In regards to "getting a real bike" comment. I don't think that's fair at all. I have ridden quite a few different bikes over the last 20 years and the "Jap Bikes" are my favorite by far. My father has an 06 Ultra Classic and I do not like it at all. I've also ridden an 03' Road King, it was, in my humble opinion, nicer/more comfortable than my father's Ultra Classic. I have not ridden a Victory, so I can't weigh in there. I would not trade my V-Star for either of the two H-D's I've ridden. Are they beautiful bikes? Yes. Did my father pay almost 7x more for his bike than I did for mine? Yup, and he had more miles on his. Granted, a lot more bells and whistles on it, but I could add all the stuff he has on his bike (bags/trunk/fairing/radio) and still be in it for less than half of what he paid for his. And don't get me started on maintenance and repairs.

I think that a lot of people buy "Jap Bikes" because they're affordable (half the price in most cases) and just as beautiful in most cases as an H-D. But to say they aren't "real bikes" just because their manufactured in Japan isn't a fair statement.

But, that's just my opinion. Please don't take this as an attack, that's not it.

eGo
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 10:34 PM

Not a fan of the F6B. If I was going for that style bike I would just buy the GoldWing.

The F6B is a bike with an identity crisis. It has the rider comfort for days of riding but the storage capacity of an afternoon run.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsmanphil View Post
Not a fan of the F6B. If I was going for that style bike I would just buy the GoldWing.

The F6B is a bike with an identity crisis. It has the rider comfort for days of riding but the storage capacity of an afternoon run.
Phil, I understand what you mean, though I think it has enough storage for a minimally-packed weekend. It does annoy me that there is not enough room in either bag for a full-face helmet.

The main draw of the F6B is the engine…a super smooth and torquey dream six-cylinder. I also like the wide fairing that is easy to see by other vehicles - almost looks like a small car coming down the road.

Former Rides:
2004 VStar 1100 Classic
1982 Suzuki GS650S
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 05:10 PM

Garage
I love the looks of the F6B, but my wife would never go for it, she cannot let go of the fact that it is a bagger Gold Wing.

2007 VStar 1300 Touring (road trip/weekend bike)
2003 FZ-1 (daily commuter)
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
I love the looks of the F6B, but my wife would never go for it, she cannot let go of the fact that it is a bagger Gold Wing.
Smart girl. She is a keeper !!!

2008 Harley FLHTCU Electraglide
2008 V-Star 1100 Classic
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
Did I miss something? Why is this bad?

Former Rides:
2004 VStar 1100 Classic
1982 Suzuki GS650S
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyRedVStar View Post
Did I miss something? Why is this bad?
It isn't bad at all. The F6B is a sporty, powerful, smooth and comfortable ride. It isn't the touring machine that a true Gold Wing is but it is a great motorcycle. I agree with a previous post that it has an identity problem. It is like any other motorcycle....some love it, some could care less and some may hate it. I wouldn't pick it as my next motorcycle but I do think it is a good looking motorcycle.

I have looked at them closely in comparison with the Gold Wing. Between the two I'd pick the "real" Gold Wing. Of course like other posts, that is just an opinion.

2013 Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS

Last edited by Slayer; 08-03-2015 at 09:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode