any advice for a total rookie? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

any advice for a total rookie?

Hi folks, ain't been for around for a bit, but thought I would look here for straight skinny/no shit advice. Got myself a bit of a problem. Any thoughts, been in the same boat, or just ideas are very welcome! Here it is: a young lady(in her 60's) has ask me to teach her how to ride! Wow, don't know what to do, she is a very old friend , BUT she has never ridden a lick other than on the back of some other folks bikes.
My first thought was tell her take the MSF course, but the way I get it they got a day class, next day on the range, is that right? What about a girl that has never pulled a clutch or twisted a throttle? Don't know what to do, I don't want her hurt or killed cause she is SO green Any thoughts, folks????

Ride Safe, Live Long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 08:59 PM

Tell her to buy a Can-am, that solves most of the worry.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 09:23 PM

You have described exactly what the Basic Rider Course 1 offered by the MSF was designed for, the very lowest level beginner rider. If I had to make the decision that you are faced with, I would encourage her to enroll and trust that they will take care of her.

Ensure that she has good protective gear.

Augie

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsmanphil View Post
Tell her to buy a Can-am, that solves most of the worry.
She seems intent on being on 2 wheels, BUT that is a great and safer option! I will for sure run that one by her! Thank You!

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonground View Post
You have described exactly what the Basic Rider Course 1 offered by the MSF was designed for, the very lowest level beginner rider. If I had to make the decision that you are faced with, I would encourage her to enroll and trust that they will take care of her.

Ensure that she has good protective gear.

Augie
If she will not do the 3 wheeler thing, I will push her to the course. Thank you for your reply!

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 09:40 PM

Garage
any advice for a total rookie? Reply to Thread

Being an older female and away from motorcycles a number of years, I took the MSF basic 2 yrs ago. Found the instructors very helpful over the 3 day session. Also, the others in my class were all gents and encouraged me throughout the sessions! I, not only regained riding knowledge, but learned so much more to make my riding more safe. Since, I try to practice skills and increase my ability to ride.

YammyV
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

the MSF course teaches you how to ride, regardless of your age. you think most people go in there already knowing how to ride bikes?

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 06:27 AM

+1 on encouraging her to take the course. Then after the course you can provide some coaching to improve her skills and keep her safe. Since the course provides the motorcycles you don't have to risk yours for her to learn the basics.

2013 Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 06:43 AM

The very first technical thing you should teach her is to walk the bike in neutral. Let her push the bike under her own power. Start it. Stop it. Turn it around. Figure out where the brakes are, etc. When she's done tell her she just finished lesson 1 of the MSF course work would she like to sign up?

Continuing with reality. She is in her sixties. Our spirits stay young forever but damned if our bodies don't give out prematurely. If she is standing on her tip toes manhandling a bike with a high COG and engine that rattles her eyeballs and suspension that will separate her hip, she may not stay a rider for long.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar

Last edited by sparkn; 08-05-2015 at 06:50 AM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 06:50 AM

Garage
Hey Sugar Bear,
Missed your postings of late. Everyone has given you great advice. Sparkn is dead on with the basics. That's how I first learned to ride dirt bikes then onto street bikes. It builds confidence in knowing how your bike functions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode