1st gear - anyone use it? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

1st gear - anyone use it?

i rarely use 1st gear for anything other than just starting the engine. even in bumper traffic, which Austin has a LOT of, i usually just stay in 2nd gear because it's one less gear to have to change in and out of. actually, i was in bumper traffic with a buddy of mine recently and i could just hear him shifting in and out of 1st/2nd constantly and i wondered why anyone would subject themselves to that when they can just stay in 2nd?

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 03:39 PM
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
Some bike's (cruisers) have the low end torque needed to take off in second. I can do this on my 650 at will. It will lope along in 5 th gear at 25 to 30 mph. IF I want it to.

Other bikes suffer with this. Or the riders are so used to downshifting all the way to first as a form of habit. Like it has to take off in first.

A good majority of bikes will take off in second if the clutch and gas is played out correctly .

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals

Last edited by RestoRider00; 08-09-2015 at 07:15 PM.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 04:31 PM

That sounds like a good way to learn how to quickly restart the engine because you killed it at a traffic light. BTW, All of those horns honking should not affect your performance.

The 1300 with its gear ratios needs a low gear to overcome the inertia of the 730 lbs + the fat little rider (Me). You could slip the clutch but then you can have premature clutch failures also. Hmm?

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 04:46 PM
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
Thats true but the idea that Bevo had was when in traffic that everyone is moving slowly in.

Yes taking off slowly in second gear may keep some drivers behind you
ready to toss the middle finger at you.

And getting 730 lbs + rider weight moving along may in fact make first gear a mandatory go to...

Many different combo's can take place, no one size fits all this time...

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals

Last edited by RestoRider00; 08-09-2015 at 07:16 PM.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 04:51 PM

At an engine speed of 2500 rpms the 1300 is going an actual 29.6 mph. The idle speed in second is 11.8 mph. Second gear starts are brutal without an autoclutch considering the engine prefers to be at or above 2500 rpms (unmodified). By contrast a 650 can only do 55 mph in third or above and is turning 1200 rpms more than a 1300 at that speed in 5th gear.

Point is, different bikes, different gearing. The taller gearing on some bikes like the 1300 can be awkward in town when one gear lugs and the other races. The 950 falls somewhere between the 650 and 1300 in gearing.

That said, how slow were you going? I shift around 25 mph and don't go back again. But, can find myself shifting between second and third before getting tired of it and staying in second.

http://s180867979.onlinehome.us/html...d_rpmcheck.htm

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar

Last edited by sparkn; 08-09-2015 at 04:58 PM.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

using that chart, there is only a 200rpm difference in 2nd gear at 10mph between the 950 and the 1300. you do have to feather the clutch some in stop/go traffic, but you're not going to prematurely cause clutch failure any more than constantly using your clutch to shift back and forth between 1st/2nd gears. just try it before you knock it; maybe the engine won't lug nearly as much as you think it will.

as for starting from stop in 2nd, i have absolutely no problem leaving everyone behind me in dust. i can't imagine the 1300 struggling too much.

on a steel horse I ride

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 09:07 PM

I've put close to 4,000 miles on the 1300 now and it is much more sensitive to lugging than my 950 was. The difference in gearing took a lot of learning. Yes, I've tried it and it lugs much more than the 950 at slow speeds. Feathering the clutch would help but, it would require a lot of time in the friction zone to operate in this mode.

Possibly the recent thread on a couple of the forums in which a guy had used the friction zone excessively and suffered a clutch failure had an effect on my thinking.

1st gear - anyone use it? Yep, I do and I will continue to do so.

Augie

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 09:17 PM

The 1300 does not do as well off idle unmodified compared to the 950, IMO. The lugging is terrible when cold and although it improves significantly when warmed up if I was running that speed I wouldn't leave first. I'm sure an FMS or Jack's O2 would help, but I don't have either installed. It's not a matter of trying it to see. I have tried it and feathering is not the answer to being in a gear wrong for the engine speed.

In contrast the Harley Big Twin is amazing at parade speeds. It puts the 1300 to shame in that respect. No snatch. No slop. No lugging even under 1000 rpms.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 09:30 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Harley engines are designed to have loads of torque down low in the rev range. However they run out of steam earlier as the revs climb.

It is a design that allows them to run very slow with decent power to move along a lot of weight even when riding two up.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

you're both still talking like you haven't tried it. "if i was running that speed i wouldn't leave first" and "Feathering the clutch would help but..."

again, don't knock it until you try it. you both state you already know your 1300 is not very capable of doing such but i'm thinking their riders may not be capable. if you don't want to do it, fine. but saying the bike can't could be selling your ride short.

and you keep referring to a clutch failure that only occurred after, almost 60,000 miles on it with absolutely NO discernible issues, it was then subjected to parade torture that no one would ever recommend; an hour of engine redlining while repeatedly slamming the bike into gear. this is what caused the clutch failure. not the previous 60,000 miles. i think the fact that i've barely used the 1st gear for nearly 60,000 miles in Austin traffic (currently 8th worst city in the country for traffic according to Forbes) feathering the clutch like i described above is a testament that it doesn't cause early clutch failure, at least if you know what you're doing.

on a steel horse I ride

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode