helmet cut in half - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

helmet cut in half

if anyone's curious about the inside of a helmet...this one is a nitro ngfp panther.

http://www.whitedogbikes.com/whitedo...orbike-helmet/

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Last edited by bevo1981; 08-17-2015 at 06:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 09:51 PM

Probably ten years ago I had a Bell full-face fiberglass helmet, on which the interior comfort foam had disintegrated. I wondered whether a helmet would shatter if it were hit hard enough to actually penetrate it. I put the helmet on an upright piece of firewood, and shot at it. The wood was to stop any bullets which penetrated, so as to give me more places to shoot. A .22LR from a 4" revolver did not penetrate, but did chip the finish. The .22 did not penetrate the face shield, either, but made a mighty ugly permanent dent. A mildly-loaded .38 Special did not penetrate the helmet, but punctured the face shield. The .357 Mag went through the helmet, missed the wood, and exited the other side of the helmet. Aside from the obvious damage (the bullet holes) and a damaged area no more than half the diameter of the holes beside the holes, I could see no damage to the fiberglass. There was no visible cracking and no apparent damage to the finish anywhere else on the helmet. I have not yet had a sacrificial ABS helmet to repeat the experiment. My purpose in the experiment was to see for myself whether a helmet seemed likely to be damaged by the classic "Oops! It rolled off the seat onto the driveway." I concluded that besides the minor scratches in the finish, there was unlikely to be any damage. Standard disclaimer - your results may vary.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 11:43 AM

Looks like a coconut.

Sonysnek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 01:32 PM

Sure makes it easier to put on when split. Where's the fasteners? :-)

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode