Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

My first 500+ mile trip

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  CandyRedVStar 
#1 ·
It is my turn to start one of these threads.

Despite nearly 20,000 miles of seat time, I have never ridden more than 100 miles at any one time. That ends this weekend. I have a trip planned through the Adirondack Mtns. to visit a friend in Plattsburgh…then back through the 1000 Islands region.

Preparation / what I am bringing:
-1 quart of 20W50 oil (I have a slight oil leak coming from the oil filter cover
-1 can Fix a Flat
-Rain suit (arrived today from RevZilla)
-Full riding gear
-Oil and tire pressure checked, along with brake fluid

I don't think all my clothes and toiletries will fit into my bags…so…I will bring my backpack. It is not waterproof, so I will bring a garbage bag in case it rains (not in forecast).

Anything else?

#5 ·
Sunscreen if you ride in short sleeves. May want some on the back or your neck anyway.

#6 ·
A smile!

Seriously tho, a map (in case you get out of GPS/cell tower range), a credit card and a willingness to feel comfortable going off the beaten track - main roads are so much less interesting and if you have the time to take a back road you will enjoy the ride soooo much more :D

#7 ·
I'm with ya, M'Lady. I plan on taking the not-so-beaten path, a combination of lesser traveled NYS two-laners, county roads, etc. I have been through all of the areas on the way to my destination at one time or another, but its been awhile. I am always one to take the "scenic route", whether on a bike, in a car, on a snowmobile or in a boat. NYS has some extremely remote places that would surprise anyone who thinks NY = NYC. Hamilton County in the Adirondacks has a population density of 3 people/square mile, for example.

My 21" Memphis Shades replacement shield arrived today. It is not much taller than the 19" that was on the bike when I bought it (about 2 inches :D), but it will make a significant difference in wind noise.

I will likely be wearing full gear most / all of the trip so I will be covered…still…water consumption very important. Riding in the sun really does dry one out quickly.

Weather looks great … temps in the mid 70s and lows in the 50s. My rain suit, which I probably do not even need, fits great but also takes up 80% of the space in one saddlebag. Back pack will be a must, I guess.

I am looking forward to the day I am riding with large bags and a giant trunk…cruise control…ABS…tunes...

#8 ·
I carry extra Fuel in MSR fuel canisters. They make several sizes but the quart size fits well for me. If bag space is limited then you may be able to fashion a bracket to attach them. I have one in each saddlebag. You can still pack in around them but that is up to you. I had one instance where I was "in the middle of nowhere" in an area I wasn't familiar with and if it wasn't for the kindness of a local farmer I would have been walking. Came home that night and decided I needed to have emergency fuel for long or unknown rides. You don't need to keep them in there if you are just buzzing around town but it sure is peace of mind on the road. 1/2 gallon of fuel could really save your bacon in a pinch. Just my .02 worth. Have a great ride and stay safe!

#10 · (Edited)
:D

Yup, you're right on track, be prepared, pack emergency stuff, but don't stress yourself. 500 mile trip is exactly like a 100 mile trip. Just takes longer, and a sore butt. I just did 433 this last weekend with no cruise, stock bags on my 950T and a massive touring bag on the back making it a bit awkward. And my only complaint is my seat sucks and now I gotta look into beads or fur or a mustang seat or something, and I'm a still a newbie rider who's coming up on my first year at the end of Aug, and maybe 4k miles total riding.

You'll do just fine.

P.S. Adirondacks - Enjoy the ride :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.