Help!! Gas cap broke!! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Summer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Angry Help!! Gas cap broke!!

I got gas after a 90 mile ride this afternoon, and when I went to remove the cap I turned the key and tried to lift it off as it should do. It wouldn't come off so I kind of tried twisting it around a little. Long story short, I got it off but when I went to put it back on, it won't latch securely. I see that the tiny springs are out of alignment, and one looks to have migrated somewhere else and is missing.

I had to ride back home from the gas station with the cap sitting loosely on the filler aperture. I assume this is not a good thing to do, as I would imagine that without a good seal on the filler aperture that air can get in and mess up the mixture? I wanted to ride tomorrow morning but am a little afraid I will go over a big bump and the cap will go flying off somewhere.

Anyone have this cap problem happen, and is it easy to fix? I suppose I could order a replacement cap but then I have to keep track of yet another key to unlock it, which would be a pain.

Any advice or information welcome!!

2007 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator

not sure on a fix, but i wouldn't be worried about air getting your tank. there's always air in your tank. the main purpose of the gas cap is to keep gas in and foreign objects out.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
not sure on a fix, but i wouldn't be worried about air getting your tank. there's always air in your tank. the main purpose of the gas cap is to keep gas in and foreign objects out.
Thanks - I want to go for a morning ride tomorrow morning and was worried running the engine with the cap loose would damage it somehow. I just have to keep my eye on the cap in case I go over a big bump and it decides to come off!

Doing some reading online I think that one of the screws on the bottom of the cap must have come loose - apparently this is a known issue with these caps. I will take it off tomorrow morning and examine it to see if I can notice a missing screw.

I guess I will have to find a replacement cap if I can't fix this one. Would like to find another stock cap for this as I like the stock look of the VStar 650 Custom very much.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 09:19 AM

Get yourself a magnet with a long flexible shaft and start fishing around in the tank. If you are missing parts that's the only place they would be. If you find the parts reassemble evetything and add loctite to the screws.
If you can't find the parts with a magnet, remove the tank and turn it upside down and shake it or whatever you have to do to get the parts out. May even have to take the petcock off. If you fix that cap or buy a new one I would still do my best to get everything out the tank. Would hate to be on the road and something clog the hole to the petcock. There is an article about it in the 1100 wiki knowledge base. The 1100 & 650 share the same fuel cap.
Gdgarth and Gdgarth like this.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo

Last edited by Summer; 08-23-2015 at 09:24 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer View Post
Get yourself a magnet with a long flexible shaft and start fishing around in the tank. If you are missing parts that's the only place they would be. If you find the parts reassemble evetything and add loctite to the screws.
If you can't find the parts with a magnet, remove the tank and turn it upside down and shake it or whatever you have to do to get the parts out. May even have to take the petcock off. If you fix that cap or buy a new one I would still do my best to get everything out the tank. Would hate to be on the road and something clog the hole to the petcock. There is an article about it in the 1100 wiki knowledge base. The 1100 & 650 share the same fuel cap.
Thanks, I am going to examine the cap to determine if a part is missing. So far I've just seen the springs out of alignment, which would explain why the cap didn't release when I turned the key to pop it off.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Sure enough, one screw is missing from the cap. The rest of the cap fell apart in my hands when I removed it as the second screw had also fallen out, but I was able to get it out with the inside half of the cap. So for now I have the inside half of the cap (the part with the rubber seal) attached to the outside chrome part of the cap with one screw and I am riding with the cap just sitting on the tank opening. I can see it turning around as it sits as I ride and I am always having to glance at it to make sure it doesn't fall off after a big bump!

How much are replacement caps? I just want to put something on there that will stay on with a lock. Don't care about using a different key at all. Are there good third party caps I can purchase, or do I need to get an OEM Yamaha cap? I'm not interested in a screw on, I want a lock for security.

Thanks!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemp...4cc8/fuel-tank

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link. I also think that a spring or two, along with the screw, may have gone down in to the tank.

Are there anyone on the board who can explain how they used a magnet to search for missing parts in the gas tank? I figure I have to drain the tank and remove it to do this, but I don't know where to find this info. I could simply replace the cap and hope for the best, which is pretty much what I am going to do in the short term, but that loose screw and spring makes me worried that at any time I could lose my engine due to blocking the fuel intake...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode