First 500+ mile trip…completed - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By CandyRedVStar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

First 500+ mile trip…completed

I'm back. The trip was actually more like 700 miles by the time I got home.

The whole trip was drama-free, and went very well. Bike now has 39,000 miles on it and it never skipped a beat the entire trip. I got as high as 55 mpg, and as low as 42 mpg (heading into a strong wind one time; another time I was on the gas pretty hard on I-87 heading up to Plattsburgh.

The AirHawk R was a savior. At one point, I had over 100 miles on straight before starting to get some soreness. The taller Memphis Shades windshield worked wonders, especially when it was warm on the trip up to Plattsburgh. I was able to ride with my shield open most of the time.

Bike chugged up the mountains without an issue in top gear, even accelerating easily, not just holding speed. Curves were nice, but I don't take them fast enough to scrape the boards at any time, regardless.

Here are the pics, loaded to Photobucket, if anyone is interested. The password is "visitor".

http://s1154.photobucket.com/user/cn...orcycle%20trip
Stose85 and Stose85 like this.

Current Ride: 2013 Honda F6B

Former Rides:
2004 VStar 1100 Classic
2008 VStar 1100 Silverado
1982 Suzuki GS650S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 04:23 PM

Garage
Welcome back, glad you safely returned. Very beautiful area and lake, and great pictures! Glad to hear you had no issues and that your bike performed well. Thanks for sharing the pic's and trip with us.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 09:29 PM

Garage
First 500+ mile trip…completed Reply to Thread

Beautiful pics! Very familiar with area and enjoyed revisiting as you explored. Thanks for sharing your ride. Ride safe and enjoy! YammyV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 05:20 PM

Aint it great ? !! Nice pics, I looked at all of them and recognize a few of those hills.

Your bike looks nice, and it is set up exactly the same way mine is. Yup...the Airhawk is great. I had one on my 99 Victory too and I swear by them.

I was also on a 750+ mile road trip at the same time, but I went south on the Harley and toured the York, Pa Harley factory. A fantastic tour, and back roads the whole way.

I did have a bit of drama on the Harley however. The rear tour pack mounts failed and the trunk was bouncing violently on bumps. I had to bungie it down for the rest of the trip. I've since welded, and re-enforced it and it is good t go.

Nice work on your trip and thanks for the pictures.

2008 Harley FLHTCU Electraglide
2008 V-Star 1100 Classic
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 01:07 PM

Glad you had a good time and thanks for the pics.

Sonysnek
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 01:27 PM

Well I see you relaxed and had a great ride.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNA118 View Post
Well I see you relaxed and had a great ride.
Yes, as you said, no biggie. Enjoyed it very much and am already looking forward to a leaf-peeping trip up there in late Sept/early Oct. It is a busy time of year and rain becomes more likely during these months, so not sure if I get will a chance to make it.

I have said in the past that I am looking to get away from the V-twin engine in my next bike. I have changed my mind on that. I grew to enjoy the light gurgle of the stock 1100 exhaust during the trip, and at mostly 55-60 mph, there is little or no vibration in the bars or boards. I like the thought of having an air cooled Vtwin now .

My father dragged his old 1986 Suzuki Cavalcade out of storage this summer. 10,000 original miles; last inspected in 1996. He fixed it all up and has it for sale. He suggested I take it for a ride before it sells. I have never ridden a big touring bike before. My impressions:
  • I do not like the seating position. My feet are too far back and the handlebars curve down and away from the sides of the bike. That forces my arms in an uncomfortable position. I hate the footpegs compared to boards.
  • The seat is great. Nice and soft, yet supportive.
  • Great power from the quiet V4.
  • There is so much of an air pocket around the rider that the wind comes up from behind and pushes you forward. I don't like that feeling.
  • This is a very heavy bike. However, it is only noticeable when pushing it around. Otherwise, one can throw it around as easily as any other bike.
  • The stereo can be heard crisply and clearly at 65+ mph, face shield down.
  • There was quite a bit of engine heat on my legs, and this is a liquid cooled engine. I was happy to get back on my old, simple 1100 Vtwin.

Current Ride: 2013 Honda F6B

Former Rides:
2004 VStar 1100 Classic
2008 VStar 1100 Silverado
1982 Suzuki GS650S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode