Removing windshield was great idea! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Removing windshield was great idea!

One thing that's bugged me since getting my vs1100 was excessive buffeting above 65mph. Even annoying at 60+. Felt like one of those bobble-head dolls, and god help me if a semi came past me (or the other way on non-divided road).

Never occurred to me the windshield would do anything but help that. Turns out it was the problem. My brother (who has a Ducati Monster) put me onto it: pointed out my problem was turbulence, not wind.

So what the heck. I pulled the windshield off. End of problem. Is there "more wind"... yeah. But it's much smoother wind. Not the turbulent, jar-my-head around from before. Preferable, I think.

I also seem to have gained about 5mph 'shift zone' in the higher gears. It used to be that 45mph was bare minimum for 5th gear, and even then downshift to accelerate or go up any kind of hill. Now I can easily cruise on level road in 5th at 40, and at 45+ I got plenty of power. I guess, even wide as I am, I'm more aerodynamic than a big slab of plexi.

All in all, glad I did it, and it's staying off.

Might be different if I were shorter. The problem was CLEARLY turbulence coming off the top of the windshield, hitting my head. Below the top, all was calm. At over 6', I 'stick up' above the shield enough to be in the 'slipstream'... Were I 5'6" or so, might have been just fine...

Looks-wise... a wash, I think. Maybe I'm still getting used to it. Looks a bit 'naked' up front to me. But a bit more rakish too...

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 01:53 PM

The turbulence comes from the vacuum formed behind the windshield. The energy to create that vacuum sucks power and efficiency out of your ride. You can redirect air all you want but the higher the vacuum created the greater the buffeting. Venting relieves this pressure, but a well designed system from the get-go is best. There is no such properly engineered system available for the V Stars meaning it's all up to the consumers to fend for themselves. It's amazing how smooth the air is when you first remove the windshield. You notice it at the pump, too.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 03:16 PM
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
Now. I must make my 2 cents known on this subject. As I figured this out as well.

My original windshield was glazed over and very dull. I could see foggy images only. So I purchased a replacement and took the old one off temporarily. Riding without the windshield I felt way more wind in the face. And this is my first bike with a windshield.

So i'm way used to having no protection up front.

I rode that way for two weeks. New glass came in and I installed it
but adjusted it for the top to be a bit more tilted up.
Before it was adjusted to be more laid back.
And yes the wind hit me (6' 1") right at the top of the helmet.
buffeting was bad at above 55 mph. After tilting the shield forward at the top the problem went right over my head and I found myself in smooth air for the first time. Power and mpg might suffer more but
was well worth the price to get a smoother cruise.
Been this way for more than 6 months and I still get over 45 mpg in town. 60 mpg on the highway.

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 09:02 PM

I have a 1300 and my experience has been different. The windshield came in the stock position, about 2 1/2 inches straight up. I had read about the windshield should run the same line as the forks, factory to straight up. I did a cheap smoke/wind test and could see the difference with the windshield laid back. I then drilled a new mounting hole 1/2 inch forward of the factory hole, less buffeting for me and the passenger. I also found that the bugs don't splat as bad, more flow over. I am also experimenting with other shields to lesson the buffeting from between the forks and tank. When I get more testing done and am comfortable with the results I will let them out.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 07:49 AM

I'm 6'2" with the OE windshield on my 1100. My sight line is an inch or so above the windshield with it mounted in the lower position. All my buffeting comes from the sides and up by the tank. I had to remove my lowers when I installed the crash bars and that's when it started. I think that's the most common area for it to create the problem. So if you ever decide to try the shield again, maybe look to that area for help.
Personally I think a bike looks better without one but I couldn't imagine riding several hours at highway speeds w/o one. But I'm just a wuss thats used to riding behind one I guess. LOL

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 08:10 AM
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
Summer, No need to be a porch pup. Many thousands of riders get beat to death riding without a windshield.

And it will wear you out on a longer highway speed trip. Your body is constantly trying to fight the turbulence ....

Getting the bike setup correctly and to your liking is a win win situation.

No wimps required

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 09:06 AM

My old Suzuki GS650 did not have a windshield at first. The pressure of air hitting my torso after awhile, and having to resist that with my arms, became fatiguing. I installed a medium-sized universal aftermarket windshield, and while that helped with the wind resistance, it created buffeting. With some adjustment, it got better, but was still present. My 2008 1100 was a Silverado with a factory windshield and that was better yet. My current 2004 1100 has the lowers plus and HAD the 19" Memphis Shades shield. That worked pretty well, until I raised my seat height with an AirHawk pad. That put my helmet up into the flow of wind above the windshield, creating A LOT of noise. I replaced that 19" with a 21" and what a difference…minimal noise, and a nice pocket of air to ride in, particularly when not following another vehicle.

I have never had buffeting issues with the 2004 because, as I learned from the guys on this site, I have lowers installed. I always though they were a pathetic attempt to divert wind around my knees. What they do is smooth out the airflow coming under the windshield, which creates tremendous turbulence without the lowers. This is where most buffeting comes from, not above, I have learned.

Current Ride: 2013 Honda F6B

Former Rides:
2004 VStar 1100 Classic
2008 VStar 1100 Silverado
1982 Suzuki GS650S
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 09:08 AM

I should've read the two posts previous to mine from Summer and RestoRider…since they basically say the same thing!

Former Rides:
2004 VStar 1100 Classic
1982 Suzuki GS650S
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 09:12 AM

One more thing … if you are a seasonal allergy sufferer … a tall windshield/lowers are a must (along with a full faced helmet). The nice pocket of air that makes your bike a pleasure to ride also keeps your nose, eyes and sinuses from being lined with allergens that get blasted up in there without any sort of wind protection.

Yet one more point - I suppose I knew this but never paid too much attention previously - but, man, do large vehicles really tear up the air. Ride behind a dually pickup truck vs. a passenger car. Even with a tall windshield, lowers, etc, etc., the air behind them is so wrecked that it completely disturbs the airflow around your bike.

Former Rides:
2004 VStar 1100 Classic
1982 Suzuki GS650S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode