Side effect of Vtwin engines - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Side effect of Vtwin engines

…they tend to vibrate things loose after awhile. I had my second casualty tonight. The rivets holding the mounting bracket to the windshield vibrated free and the bag came off. I ended up using some washers as a substitute and secured it with a nut from the windshield framework.

Earlier this year, the vibration rattled the locking mechanism apart on my hard bags, and I lost some of those parts while moving things in and out of the bag. Now I have one locking bag, one that won't lock…which ain't so bad.

Current Ride: 2013 Honda F6B

Former Rides:
2004 VStar 1100 Classic
2008 VStar 1100 Silverado
1982 Suzuki GS650S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 04:14 PM

Ever heard of Loctite? Use the Blue kind only.

2005 Road Star Midnight
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 04:37 PM

LOL...yup...I've lost a few things on mine over the years too. I generally go over things 3-4 times a years checking tightness and looking to see if anything is loose.

I tear my bike down quite often....and will sometimes forget to tighten something...so my first test run is always done with caution....and all of my tools....

...and yes, blue Loctite is your friend.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick – 6* Tree - 2" extended forks – 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock – Pods – Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 04:47 PM

Had many bikes over the years, including V-twins, never had anything vibrate loose...(yet). That said, I was almost beaned once by a mirror that vibrated off my son's Harley. LOL He was riding a ways in front of me.

However, I've almost lost the side cover on my Victory CCT a couple times ... training my wife to stop bumping it with her feet has proven to be more difficult than I'd expected LMAO!

2005 Road Star Midnight

Last edited by SilvrT; 09-11-2015 at 04:50 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 05:42 AM

For a V-Twin, the Yamaha is one of the smoother running engines. If anything will shake things loose, it would be a big HD with an aftermarket cam. I have never had stuff come loose from vibration either.

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 11:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyRedVStar View Post
…they tend to vibrate things loose after awhile. I had my second casualty tonight. The rivets holding the mounting bracket to the windshield vibrated free and the bag came off. I ended up using some washers as a substitute and secured it with a nut from the windshield framework.

Earlier this year, the vibration rattled the locking mechanism apart on my hard bags, and I lost some of those parts while moving things in and out of the bag. Now I have one locking bag, one that won't lock…which ain't so bad.
SouthCo sells replacement locks which worked for my roadstar. They might have a match for your bike. I can't remember the model#. I found the match then measured my old one for the correct size.
http://www.southco.com/class/93-keyl...false&filters=
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 07:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by commonground View Post
For a V-Twin, the Yamaha is one of the smoother running engines. If anything will shake things loose, it would be a big HD with an aftermarket cam. I have never had stuff come loose from vibration either.
Yeah. I'd almost go so far as to say if it's vibrating that much to knock stuff off, maybe have a go at the various tuning issues. Mine hardly vibrates at all.

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afaycasaym View Post
SouthCo sells replacement locks which worked for my roadstar. They might have a match for your bike. I can't remember the model#. I found the match then measured my old one for the correct size.
http://www.southco.com/class/93-keyl...false&filters=
Thanks. I have fiberglass hard bags that are obviously some aftermarket brand. One of these days, I will figure out who makes them and see if I can get the parts. I noticed on Friday that more of the locking mechanism vibrated out…the only thing left is the retaining nut and the main threaded shaft of the whole mechanism. Hope no bees get in there. :roll eyes:

The only Vtwin motor I've owned besides a Yamaha is a Craftsman garden tractor, so I have nothing to compare it to. Mine is pretty smooth at certain speed, creating essentially no vibration, but under acceleration and at 60+, it is noticeable. Mine loves 55-57 mph, according to the speedometer. I can't believe the excessive vibration on H-Ds is actually a source of pride and may be intentionally designed into them… I see them idling at stoplights sometimes and can see the mirrors vibrating from several dozen feet away. Mine vibrate under throttle, but not at idle, or if they do, it is minor.

This is why the Honda flat six continues to keep my attention...

Current Ride: 2013 Honda F6B

Former Rides:
2004 VStar 1100 Classic
2008 VStar 1100 Silverado
1982 Suzuki GS650S
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 11:53 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyRedVStar View Post
Thanks. I have fiberglass hard bags that are obviously some aftermarket brand. One of these days, I will figure out who makes them and see if I can get the parts. I noticed on Friday that more of the locking mechanism vibrated out…the only thing left is the retaining nut and the main threaded shaft of the whole mechanism. Hope no bees get in there. :roll eyes:

The only Vtwin motor I've owned besides a Yamaha is a Craftsman garden tractor, so I have nothing to compare it to. Mine is pretty smooth at certain speed, creating essentially no vibration, but under acceleration and at 60+, it is noticeable. Mine loves 55-57 mph, according to the speedometer. I can't believe the excessive vibration on H-Ds is actually a source of pride and may be intentionally designed into them… I see them idling at stoplights sometimes and can see the mirrors vibrating from several dozen feet away. Mine vibrate under throttle, but not at idle, or if they do, it is minor.

This is why the Honda flat six continues to keep my attention...
The level of vibration you describe sounds completely normal to me. I check things over every couple months and will occasionally find something that needs tightening...especially aftermarket stuff. I use loctite as well. I've ridden a number of HDs over the years and some have been ridiculous with the amount of vibration. You can play around with your idle adjustment and usually smooth things out even more.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 12:03 PM

Complaining about a v-twin vibrating is like complaining that your Corvette rides rough.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode