Trying to figure out how to mount the short turn signals - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Trying to figure out how to mount the short turn signals

98 vstar Classic 650

Anyone have any ideas that doesn't require major fabrication or breaking the bank?

I currently have a rack and short universal turns signals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 11:20 AM

So are you trying to remove the rack and add turn signals? Those turn signals are designed to fit on the fender
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 11:33 AM

If you're removing the mustache, I'd mount the signals on the fender and relocate the license plate so you could see the signals better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 01:55 PM
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
98vstar, I've been down this exact same road you want to go down.

I have attached pics of my current setup. The key components are:

47 to 54 Harley style tail light w/ high tag mount (Early Sportster Version) Prices vary depending on vendor

ebay 3 wire turn signals (running light feature included) around $40 set

Some scrap 3/4" thick plastic to make the front mounts.

So : the rear fender stock tail lamp was removed and replaced with this one, Drilled holes on the side of the fender to mount the new turn signals. Wiring was fairly easy. 2 wire set up on both. You do not use the lead that is grounded to the stalk of the turn signal.

On the front ones it's tricky : to keep the running light feature intact you must make the signal stalk mount to as to NOT touch any metal part of the bikes frame ground. As the running light uses this for power. and must be isolated as such. So with the front you use all 3 wires. on mine the outer edge of the bulb is lit as the running light. The inner portion is the turn signal.
sure it took some time to make but everything works fine and has held up well. The base of the rear tail light had to be sanded some to reduce the overall radius but that was it. (see pics )

*** The grill between the two front turn signals was made from a screen insert on a hilborn scoop for a chevy small block v8 . Note the mount attaches through the old TS mounting tube with the ends removed.
It also appears your rack lower support could be attached in the same manner with this setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	48329   Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	48337   Click image for larger version

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	48345  

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals

Last edited by RestoRider00; 09-13-2015 at 02:08 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the info. I wanted to ditch the mustache lights if it didnt cost me a ton of cash.

Thank you RestoRider00 for the game plan.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 06:16 PM

I also know a guy who removed the signals from his bike and uses LED strips on his saddlebags for signals. Not sure of the legality and I'm sure it'd work much better with hard bags.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 07:21 PM
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
Without the labor cost the whole thing was under $100.

I added my hard bags after the TS mod was already done.
Even though they have lights for the turn signals in the bag lids I chose not to go there....

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode