winter storage prep - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

winter storage prep

I have a 2000 xvs 1100. i have to store my bike under my deck outside. what should i do for winter storage. i have a motorcycle cover and plan to add a tarp also.

what should i do this winter to prepare the bike.
full gas tank, empty tank, gas treatment?
drain tank and carb?
remove battery and trickle charge, or leave connected and start and run periodically?

do i need to change oil before winter, assuming i dont plan to ride

any ideas to help insulate from cold some

thanks for your input/info, i am new to this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 09:04 PM

That's a good question vstar23. I'm new to this as well, and wondering the same thing. I live in a climate (east coast of Canada) that gets very cold winter time. I have two choices this winter: 1. store the bike in my shed (unheated) or 2. park my bike in the middle of my living room. I am seriously considering option 2 but probably will go with option 1 just to avoid an argument with my better half. The winters are cold enough here already.

So vstar23, I can't offer you any sound advice (from personal experience), but this is what I am going to do based upon some advice from others I've heard along the way.

1. Store bike in shed (like I said, it's unheated)
2. Cover with a breathable cover to reduce condensation buildup.
3. Change oil before storage (best to do before storage, gets rid of comtaminents that you don't want left in engine all winter) Some people have suggested to change oil again in spring - I'm not sure why - use cheap oil for winter storage and use syn in the spring.
4. Top up gas tank (reduces condensation in tank) and add fuel stabilzer and run for 10 minutes. Turn off fuel petcock.
5. Remove battery and trickle charge in house.
6. Do not start during winter, since it will cause condensation within bike when it cools in cold environment.
7. Ocassionally I will roll bike a foot or so (and leave in new position) to lesson chance of tire bumps. Lifting bike off wheels would be best.
8. Spray/wipe certain parts of bike (particularily wheels spokes since they are zinc coated) with rust check to reduce chance of rust and surface pitting. There will be a little bit of mess in the spring to clean up but hopefully no rust or pitting.
9. Check occasionally for moisture/rust buildup on bike. Panic if there is and reconsider option 2.

I don't think insulating from the cold is as important as ensuring there is no moisture forming on bike. I think air flow is important. Can you build a rigid frame around bike under the deck and cover with a heavy trap and cover bike with a breathable cover.

I'm no expert on this - just my two cents worth.

Dennis

Last edited by DSharpe; 08-07-2009 at 09:33 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

thanks dennis , i appreciate your input. i dont have many choices.

i have heard different views on full or empty tank, the local metric bike service center told me to drain the tank, but i have heard more of the view that you have shared. thanks. i guess i will do the best i can and hope for the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 12:42 PM

I have been doing something identical to the previous post for the last 4 years and it's worked very well. No problems and the bike has started and ran well in the Spring. Good Luck.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

thanks for your great input
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 04:51 PM

put some stabil or sea foam in the gas and run it for a while to get it into the carb or through the injectors. Keep it off the ground on some skids or pallets or something. There are also some nice portable bike covers/sheds with floors in them, Do a search on line.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 05:00 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode