Any Virago owners here? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Any Virago owners here?

Curious if any of us owns one of the vstar's "predecessor" bikes?

I bought an 81 Virago 750 for business purposes, but am tempted to keep it - as I do far, far too often already (sigh). Looking for feedback, pitfalls, owner experiences, etc. I have already experienced that it's VERY cold-blooded...

Thought before I go hit a virago forum where I'm unknown newb, I'd see if anyone here can offer thoughts/experience on our 'ancestor' bike...

KC

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 08:54 AM

Garage
Hey cj, I purchased a 96' XV750 Virago a few months ago with 20k original miles as its my current bobber project. I didn't do a lot of riding on it before the tear down, however it was a bit cold natured and seemed to run lean. The only mod was drilled out exhaust. I've been reading a lot on the virago tech forum, and it's been a big help. After being on the 950t for a while, the virago felt really light, almost as if I could pick it up and move it around in my garage. So far it's been pretty easy to work on, and I'll be posting pics when I get close to finishing it. Parts have been easy to find. Hope this helps.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 10:00 AM

I had a '99 Virago 1100 for about 10 years & loved it. Bought it used it already had Cobra slip on mufflers so it already sounded a bit better than stock (IMO) as well as looked pretty good!

About the only common failing I've heard about Viragos is there was a rash of bad starters through a variety of years. Besides that the bikes were bulletproof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 09:34 PM

I had a Virago 750 about 9 years ago. Mine had a cylinder that went dead. I ended up selling it to a guy that felt comfortable tackling the issue. Wasn't the carbs as I had those cleaned out.

Before that, I had a lot of fun riding it. Two up was a little taxing on the 750. It would go, but didn't have the power that I wanted.

I ride 01 VMax now, so no more issues with power...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode