first ever harley ride, yeck! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
first ever harley ride, yeck!

So ive managed a half century without ever having ridden a harley until today. My dad took a spill on his brand new road glide and sprained his ankle. So he's done for the season and asked if I'd ride it over to winter storage. I'm not anti harley, but I hated it. It felt tippy, even to me. I thought I was gonna dump it twice in a 6 mile trip. Both times at low speed at a traffic light. Steering really heavy and the bars feel like they want to pull over to full-steer as soon as you move them. It feels very top heavy. I also don't care for the heavy vibration, but that's more a personal preference thing. So after a few dozen Japanese bikes and one ducati... No harley in my future.
bevo1981 and bevo1981 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 07:33 PM

I have never ridden a Harley either. In fact, I can count on one hand the different bikes I have ridden (not counting dirt bikes)…two Vstar 1100s, a Suzuki GS650, a Honda Pacific Coast, Suzuki Cavalcade, and some Honda 250 something-or-other.

I read an article comparing a F6B and Harley a few days ago. From what I read, I don't even have the interest to try an H-D. They mention the vibrating mirrors, the transmission that slams into first, and the stiff, hard ride…and this was a cruiser/tourer! And these features are INTENTIONALLY designed into the machine !?!?!

Current Ride: 2013 Honda F6B

Former Rides:
2004 VStar 1100 Classic
2008 VStar 1100 Silverado
1982 Suzuki GS650S
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 03:26 PM

You're going from a ~580 pound, 1100 cc middleweight cruiser to a 103 cu in , 860 pound cross country tourer.

Of course it's going to feel heavier and want to fall over. Lol.
tgmotoman and tgmotoman like this.

2013 H-D FXS Blackline
2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
1980 XS650 Bob (in progress)
1981 XS650

USMC - 0331 - OEF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 11:11 PM

I love how raw and light switch like power my buddies super glide has. No complaints except the price of one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 02:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP03 View Post
You're going from a ~580 pound, 1100 cc middleweight cruiser to a 103 cu in , 860 pound cross country tourer.

Of course it's going to feel heavier and want to fall over. Lol.
That is what I was thinking. They are big and heavy and very comfortable at hwy speeds. But all big heavy bikes are harder to handle at low speeds. My Vstar feels sooooo heavy compared to my FZ1, because it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98vstar View Post
I love how raw and light switch like power my buddies super glide has. No complaints except the price of one.
Price is why I got a Vstar. All the fun and functionality are still there without the HD name on it.

2007 VStar 1300 Touring (road trip/weekend bike)
2003 FZ-1 (daily commuter)
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 12:57 PM

I took a road glide out for a ride when we went to Vegas and I rented an Indian - i hated the Indian. BF kept saying get on the road glide he had rented but I wasn't sure I could get my feet down well enough (Would definitely have to lower one if buying one as I'm short). But I think others are right. It wasn't a *lot* heavier than my Roadstar and it has a full fairing which the roadie does not. I must say I loved the Harley clutch. But, the roadie is paid for and there is no glide in my immediate future. But I would definitely find room in the garage if the motorcycle fairy were to pay a visit. Rumor has it they are bringing it out in purple in 2017. Ha! Rumor started by a dealer who knows I only buy purple bikes...

Annie

Last edited by Annielikeslyrics; 10-06-2015 at 12:57 PM. Reason: clarification
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 03:45 PM

HD= Yesterdays technology at tomorrows prices!!!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 08:33 AM

YA...the cost of an HD is outrageous to say the least. In my mind HD's are a thing of the past. I was thinking of switching brands. Although, I really like the HD Heritage, @ a cost of around $18,000.00 for starters. Adding a 2 tone paint, hydraulic clutch and a nicer sounding exhaust now your talking about twenty grand..... Back some time ago, I compared a Road Star with a Heritage. At that time I was riding a HD Ultra Classic Anniversary Edition with a Ultra Classic Sidecar to match. I was at my local Yamaha dealer and heard and saw what I thought was another HD pulling in the parking lot. Much to my surprise it was a White Road Star with a set of good sounding pipes. Looks were identical, from the studded seat and bags, to the clear windshield and running lights. I asked the owner, what was the cost of a Road Star.... I was shocked, he told me it was about $14,000.00, out the door. That's $4000.00 under the stock Heritage.. THEN came the Stratoliner...that's what's under my azzzzzzzz now...... What a difference.. and for a whole lost less $$$..

Ride Safe...
Paul
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 11:30 PM

Garage
Just did a demo ride at the Harley dealers. Got to try out 7 different bikes. Dynas and Sportys were terrible. Felt my legs were going to shake right off the pegs and felt the pegs were not extended out far enough. Almost had to wrap my legs around the gas tank to reach them. Softails and touring bikes were much better. More comfortable and easy to ride but then the price tag kicks in and I can't understand why anybody would pay that much more when you can get a good metric for way less.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for all the interesting replies!

I mentioned the 'tippy' thing to my brother who reminded me dad had the bike lowered using some stuff he bought off amazon, and that he (my brother) found the bike dynamics notably worse afterward.

And the weight thing certainly true: As someone said, I'm used to a bike that's near 300lbs less - I hadn't realized the HD was so heavy. Thought about that the other day when I happened to ride a '99 Ninja 250, and the thing felt like a bicycle (but darned fun to ride).

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode