Riding in the rain - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Coolbreeze
  • 2 Post By gl3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Riding in the rain

Is is bad to ride in the rain?

It's not my preference to do it, but if it may or may not rain, ill probably go for it.
but if it can be bad for the bike, i don't wanna be doing it when i can avoid it.
bevo1981 and bevo1981 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 04:55 AM

Bikes are made for it. I don't like to ride in the rain but sometimes it happens on the long rides. I always ride with the rain gear in the saddle bags. You just have to remember when riding it the rain there is a lot less traction so you have to be more carefully braking and turning corners.

2016 FZ 07

2004 V Star 650 Classic (SOLD)
Vance and Hines Cruzers
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 06:21 AM
gl3

Agree with Worty on that. In Indiana, there is summer rain ( light rain, showers, thunderstorms) and then there is our fall rain ( cold ).
Last group ride ,we got caught in a thunderstorm making it very difficult to see and time to find cover.
My bike weathered the rain just fine, its the rider that it is tuff on.
Ride Safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 09:18 AM

Garage
I'm with Worth and gl3.
I try to avoid the rain as much as possible, however it's going to happen, and it did on us last Saturday afternoon on the way home from a charity poker run. We got soaked and the bike was filthy. The new bridgestones did great, and we just took the turns slower, and started braking earlier than normal. Our rain pattern is just like gl3's. If I suspect I'll run into rain, I rainx my windshield, and helmet visor. Helps with visibility quite a bit. My 950t ran just fine, but I won't forget the rain gear next time.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 09:25 AM

I guess I'm a fair weather rider. I avoid the rain if possible. Being retired and only riding for pleasure gives more opportunities to dodge the wet stuff. I still do get wet occasionally when I misjudge mother nature. Like the guys said the bike don't care. It's the rider that has to be careful.

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 09:36 AM
gl3

Here is a link for raingear ( not the best-adequate) at a good price. I own a set of frogg toggs and carry them in the saddlebags -just in case.
Brand: Frogg toggs - Walmart.com
bevo1981 and bevo1981 like this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 11:50 AM

I'm with Commonground on this one. But as long as you have good tires on the bike, and ya use common sense, rain isn't much of an issue for the bike, just you. Just be careful. And watch the puddles. I went to school with a guy that rode a sportster to school all winter. Snow, ice , rain, or whatever.

Sonysnek
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 05:56 PM

I've ridden my old bike in a light snowstorm and downpours... not much opportunity to ride in California rain right now (and don't I wish I COULD ride in the rain here!!!!!) but the bike handles just fine.

Things to watch out for include
  • slicker than normal roads (the rain pulls oils up from the road and that first hour - depending on how heavy the rain is - can be VERY dangerous)
  • idiot cage drivers being even stupider/blinder than usual and
  • overconfidence on your part.

Slow down, brake sooner, keep looking in ALL directions and, if you are able, pull over for the first hour of rain, have a coffee somewhere warm and change into your rain gear

'06 VStar 1100 Classic - black with ghost flames!
Cobra sissy bar and luggage rack
National Cycle windshield
National Cycle quick release hardbags
Lindby engine guard
Driving lights mounted to engine guard

More to come when I save enough cash!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 09:18 AM

Visibility will be much worse for you and everyone else. Cars have wipers on the windshield (and sometimes rear window) but not on side windows. The wipers never clear the whole windshield. Motorcycles very rarely have windshield wipers, and even more rarely do helmet face shields have wipers. Face shields have a bad habit of fogging up. Outside rear view mirrors become harder to use when they have raindrops on them, whether on cars, trucks, or bikes. Headlight glare can be a problem. It is also possible for hypothermia to sneak up on you, even if your rain gear keeps you dry. And yes, I have ridden in the rain. My current bike (250 Star) has the delightful habit of the front tire throwing water onto my boots. I guess there were valid reasons for the big fenders on Indians.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode