the American Motorcycle Association - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By commonground

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

the American Motorcycle Association

anybody here in the AMA? if so, how do you feel about them? are you getting anything out of it? do you think they are making a difference/using your membership dues wisely? there's a debate right now that the AMA is spending way too much resources fighting helmet laws and not nearly enough to support lane splitting. are they doing enough to inform bikers of ongoing issues?

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 06:35 AM

I'm a member of AMA because the motorcycle club that I joined is an AMA sanctioned club and everyone must be a member. I like that the AMA are not constantly asking for donations. I like that they are fighting to limit ethanol in motor fuels. I like the Roadside Assistance that they offer. I do not think that they should be fighting helmet laws. I'm a safety advocate and helmets should be a part of all motorcycle riding. I believe they save lives and reduce injuries but, I don't like the "Gubberment" running my life. I don't care about whether lane splitting is allowed or not. I have no reason to do it but, I do enjoy watching videos of lane splitting. Some are really thrilling. Augie
t84a and t84a like this.

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 04:15 PM
Banned

I'm an AMA member and feel everywho owns/rides should be. They are constantly fighting for our best interests (mostly). Ethanol content, exhaust restrictions, motorcycle only check points, etc. They fight similar battles for off road as well. It's only $39/year I believe. You get benefits like roadside assistance, hotel discounts, and stuff like that. It's a good organization.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t84a View Post
I'm an AMA member and feel everywho owns/rides should be. They are constantly fighting for our best interests (mostly). Ethanol content, exhaust restrictions, motorcycle only check points, etc. They fight similar battles for off road as well. It's only $39/year I believe. You get benefits like roadside assistance, hotel discounts, and stuff like that. It's a good organization.
Same here - life member. Nice magazine too.

Dave
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 06:17 PM

Roadside assistance alone is worth the cost of membership. I joined last year.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
anybody here in the AMA? if so, how do you feel about them? are you getting anything out of it? do you think they are making a difference/using your membership dues wisely? there's a debate right now that the AMA is spending way too much resources fighting helmet laws and not nearly enough to support lane splitting. are they doing enough to inform bikers of ongoing issues?
Absolutely!
Anyone who owns a bike should be a member. If everyone did, it would be a heck of a lot more power for them. They are always fighting for us.

With that said, even if you did not agree with everything they fight for, well, bikers need a voice and the AMA IS THE SOURCE of that voice.

Here is the no brainer part, I like the magazine but your annual dues, besides the free magazine and supporting their financial efforts to STOP the states and Washington imposing unfair laws, one of which, a major fight that they fight across the country is MOTORCYCLE ONLY CHECK POINTS. I mean, check points for motorcycles and not cars.

But forget all the above, by supporting them for the few bucks a year it cost to be a member with automatic renewal, you get FREE TOWING/road side assistance for ALL VEHICLES AND family members in your household, motorcycles, cars, trucks, trailers.

So if you have that coverage with your current ins company, you can cancel it. My daughter has used it two, possibly three times in the last 2 years, dead battery for one and locked her keys in the cars for another both while away at college and she has never had an issue getting help.

I NEVER carry road/towing coverage but what the heck, you get it free with the AMA auto renewal membership.

(in case you didnt notice, I think the AMA is a great idea*L*)

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

"debt is dumb, cash is king" ... http://www.usdebtclock.org/
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 01:47 PM

I've considered joining because of the motorcycle towing coverage. Seems like that alone is worth it. But I keep procrastinating.

Annie
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 04:38 AM

I am on my second year of membership. I have found the magazine to be very educational. The assistance package is certainly worth having, but I hope never to use it.

Overall, I think it is good value for money.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 11:20 AM

I used the AMA assistance once, when I messed up a fuel line on my bike in my own garage. I didn't know what I had done - it wouldn't run. AMA sent a truck that hauled my bike about 29 miles to my dealer. Glad I had the AMA service!

Dave
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 01:49 PM

First I've ever even heard of this. And I'm sold! I'll be looking into this today. Thanks, guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode