lean in turns? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

lean in turns?

so i'm re-examining my whole philosophy on leans in turns and curves. i want to start over from scratch. the way i've always felt and was taught was that you move the motorcycle underneath you, not your body. which i still believe is mostly true for cruiser motorcycles, but there's some area for body lean, and that's what i want to re-discover. so how much body lean do you guys use? how much do you increase your body lean with tighter curves or higher speeds? do you even think about it?

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 06:48 PM

Garage
I started learning about leaning/turning intially from riding dirt bikes as a kid. A few months ago a member made reference to David Houghs books entitled 'Proficient Motorcycling'. I've read the first one and half of volume #2. I highly recommend both as they will help in leaning and turning. Helped me a lot, especially in learning to use the front brakes more efficiently. Just my input.
bevo1981 and bevo1981 like this.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 06:50 PM

Garage
I purchased both on line for under $30. IMHO, worth every penny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 06:51 PM

Garage
Ebay had the best prices.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1448153465014.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	52585  
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 08:45 PM
Banned

Your body should actually be on the inside of the bike while cornering. The result is that you are leaning more than the bike. Dragging pegs and what not is a result of poor riding. Your bike actually has maximum traction and control at the least lean angle. It really doesn't matter if it's a sportbike or cruiser. Support yourself with your knees. Find a class like Total Control.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 09:41 AM
Lifetime Premium

I scrape constantly. CONSTANTLY. But all we have here in AR are windy hilly two lane wooden highways. Floorboard pads, the brackets themselves when the floorboard is fully pivoted up, and even the crash bars.

When turning hard,and on this bike doing 60 in a sugested 30 around a good curve, I just push the inside handle forward, and push the bike down hard, and tell the bike "lean Bitch!" So I guess mostly, I don't do much with the body.

If its important enough, I'd say find a track, and a class. A guy on my local bike forum rides sport bikes, said track time, and a teacher has made a night and day difference on learning how to take curves. If I had the time, and it was closer, I'd love to do it.

The 950Ts just have an awful clearance to boot. And its been worse since my new tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1122150920.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	52609  

.:'09 Vstar 950T:.

VOTE for the BikeOfTheMonth It only takes a moment and you get to check out a bunch of great scoots! Participate all you rascals!

Last edited by Mr Schaefer Pants; 11-22-2015 at 09:51 AM.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

i scrape constantly as well. the 950's setup causes scraping more than any other bike i've ever heard of. and mine is lowered 2.25". but there is a difference in sportbike riding versus cruiser riding in the turns. exhibits A & B below:

these were both on the Tail Of The Dragon. i couldn't find a single photo where a cruiser rider had a leaning knee extended out or the body leaning significantly over more than the bike. i have always tried to sit upright and limit my body lean as i tilt the bike to and fro, but i think this may have been hindering me more than helping. i might check out those books you mentioned. applying your front brake sounds like you're dabbling in trail breaking a little, something else i've been interested in recently and trying to become more proficient. so how much body lean is determined by your speed? how much is determined by the angle of the curve? is this just something you guys just go on feel? do you guys actively try to lean your body over with your bike? or are you like me and try to limit your body lean? do you tend to hug your tank with your knees in the turns?
KenGard and KenGard like this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 01:40 PM

For me it all depends on the curve, the road surface and condition. And also whether or not I'm alone or have the old lady aboard. Seems like some corners require that you hold back a little, while others are there just for ya to lay into them. Oh yea, and if I'm feelin frisky or not. But mostly I don't give it alot of thought while I'm ridin unless a really sharp curve sneaks up on me. Just enjoy the ride.
KenGard and KenGard like this.

Sonysnek
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
i couldn't find a single photo where a cruiser rider had a leaning knee extended out or the body leaning significantly over more than the bike. i have always tried to sit upright and limit my body lean as i tilt the bike to and fro, but i think this may have been hindering me more than helping. i might check out those books you mentioned. applying your front brake sounds like you're dabbling in trail breaking a little, something else i've been interested in recently and trying to become more proficient. so how much body lean is determined by your speed? how much is determined by the angle of the curve? is this just something you guys just go on feel? do you guys actively try to lean your body over with your bike? or are you like me and try to limit your body lean? do you tend to hug your tank with your knees in the turns?
Hey Bevo, Most of your questions are answered in the Advanced Rider Course offered by the MSF. You don't see it on the road because, it has not been learned nor is it practiced by many.

The "Kiss The Mirror " concept. Augie

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 02:48 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonground View Post
Hey Bevo, Most of your questions are answered in the Advanced Rider Course offered by the MSF. You don't see it on the road because, it has not been learned nor is it practiced by many.

The "Kiss The Mirror " concept. Augie
I've taken the basic an advanced course from MSF. It doesn't dabble in trying to hit the turns hard, not like sport bike riding, leaning over the seat, etc. Just riding safe in them, braking in curves, the ideas of traction and braking in curves, etc. However- I'm sure instructors teachings change from class to class, outside of the basics.

This is just me, I'm a new rider, take it for what its worth. Front braking a turn will DROP your front forks and you'll scrape worse, and you will scrape like crazy, it will also lighten/raise your rear and remove traction to that rear wheel.

You slow before the turn, and accelerate during the turn (lightly). That's MSF 101. That will keep your suspension as high as possible, and gain traction and balance through the turn.

Bevo, we just hit the limits on these bikes is all. Hell my 06 Vstar 650 didn't scrape like the 950 does. I wanna corner harder and can't. I've had enough butt puckering trying to push this bike, turning hard and fast on a curve, bottoming my suspension out and scraping a hard part is no fun, it acts like a fulcrum and removes weight/traction from the tire as your scraping (hard scrape, not the board). The 950 is going to the wife for her "new" bike. I'm going to be looking soon for something else.

.:'09 Vstar 950T:.

VOTE for the BikeOfTheMonth It only takes a moment and you get to check out a bunch of great scoots! Participate all you rascals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode