Wear your gear - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Wear your gear

The weekend before last, the wife and I were out at lunch with some fellow riders. We both ride, we've both taken the MSF course, she's been riding since April or so. We live in a no helmet state where a leather vest is about the most protection most people wear.

Coming home from that lunch with fellow riders it was about 6:30pm and my wife happened to be the unlucky rider who collided with a deer. She's fine now, but it did take its toll.

Nothing could of been done, she was going 55mph, the posted speed limit down a two lane highway with woods on both sides. A big buck just decided it was time to cross the road, stopped right in front of her. She hit him dead on, bike and her flipped, bike skid, as did she. A broken collar bone (now I know is called a clavicle ), fractured ribs, brused lung, kidney, and liver, all on the right side.

Luckily she was wearing full gear. Full face modular helmet, padded riding jacket, hoodie, thermal top, t-shirt, jeans, long johns, leather gloves, boots. Only visible damage was a scuff on her knee, and that was like a 'rug burn' from her pants, not asphalt.

So if you're in a no helmet state, and gear isn't something you do. Just keep in mind, no matter if you've been 'accident free' for 50 years, you can't predict a deer, or anything else. Think about wearing it, it works.

The road went through her jacket, the hoodie, the t-shirt, but not the thermal top. In the pic, the hole is behind the neck, but only because it got pulled, all of that was her shoulder. The right side of the helmet, would have been her whole side of her face, from nose to ear.

Careful out there guys, deer season, in the rut. We decided no more riding at night for us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1119151459.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	52705   Click image for larger version

Name:	1119151503.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	52713   Click image for larger version

Name:	1119151503a.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	52721  

.:'09 Vstar 950T:.

VOTE for the BikeOfTheMonth It only takes a moment and you get to check out a bunch of great scoots! Participate all you rascals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 03:49 PM

Wow glad to hear it wasn't too too bad. Heal up quick!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 06:04 PM

Garage
I'm with 98 vstar, so glad it wasn't any worse and she heals up quickly. Another point in wearing your gear. Tell her were thinking of her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 07:38 PM
Premium Member

Your wife's injuries sound painful, wishing her a speedy recovery.

2005 V Star 1100 Classic, Mustang seats, Baron ORK, risers and Star handlebar, AIS removed, muffler baffles removed, run/turn/brake light controller, modulating headlight, pods installed in air box, progressive front springs.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 08:11 PM

Garage
about 20 years ago i hit one just in front of the hind quarters and cut it right in half. i was doing around 50mph ,i wasn't injured but the bike suffered a busted headlight and a slightly twisted fork it was a 1966 triumph TR6. i was able to ride it home slowly. it happened so fast i didn't know what i hit until i walked up the road to see. it was pretty gory. my guardian angel was working overtime that night for sure. i was also in full gear that night which probably helped saved me from injury also. glad the bike i have now has the passing lamps to light up the sides of the road.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 05:45 AM

Thanks for sharing that Mr. Schaefer. I hope that her recovery is fast and complete including her attitude about riding.

I live in deer country also and when I ride at night, which is seldom, I slow way down. I figure if I get one it will be at a reduced speed. Augie

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli466 View Post
about 20 years ago i hit one just in front of the hind quarters and cut it right in half.
Its funny, at our lunch get together that day, one guy said he did the same thing, a buddy and him were riding, his buddy cut right through a deer at 80mph, nothing happened at all, they shrugged and kept riding.

I think the difference with her accident was the buck was huge, I think her windshield area hit the deers chest/side, I think he was tall enough the tire went under him. Another factor, she was on a Suzuki S40 (Savage), its like 381lbs.

But ya her disposition is great. She says she doesn't remember it at all, so she's not fearful about riding and ready to get back on when she can. Although, we were out the other night going to walmart at night, and saw a deer on the side of the road, both of us had that second of panic.

.:'09 Vstar 950T:.

VOTE for the BikeOfTheMonth It only takes a moment and you get to check out a bunch of great scoots! Participate all you rascals!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 07:30 PM

Garage
I'm very very glad your wife is ok except for the few injuries. I'm an EMT in Ohio and I once had this patient that was hit by a car while he was on his Harley. He didn't have any safety gear on and if he would've at least wore a helmet he would've walk away unscathed. Wearing safety gear or at least a helmet could possibly save you from injuries or your life.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 11:10 PM

Garage
All the best to your wife! Sorry it happened!
When I was young I had an older friend who rode(what got me into it), and Il always remember what he told me once:
"Always dress for the fall, not the ride" ...... case and point
Just think, some have to worry about moose!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode