Glove buying woes - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By dehingst

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 06:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Glove buying woes

I'm looking for some advice from riders who really value their hands and can contribute some advice on gloves.

I work in a profession that requires a lot of fine motor control; even being a paraplegic would still permit me to work. But I gotta. protect. those. hands.

Thus, while shopping for armored gloves, I keep getting distressed by massively conflicting info: I was all set to get a nicely armored set of long cuff gloves, only to read (from a 20+ year rider with a lot of nice gear) that "palm sliders are the only thing that might manage to keep both wrists from receiving severe Colles fractures the moment you strike the road surface hands first; simple road rash is a vastly easier mechanism of injury to prevent, and can be prevented with any $30 pair of well-stitched 1mm+ leather gloves." A severe double wrist fracture would put me in the poorhouse quite rapidly, so I decided palm sliders were a must.

So, I redirected myself towards gloves with palm sliders... only to find that the results are highly mixed, even in the $100-300 range. I was ALL set to buy a $120 pair of Cortech Impulse RRs, only to discover a comment on the Amazon page where the guy gave them 5-stars since, in his words, he "went down on the highway and only managed to fractured both wrists in 5 places, ZERO ROAD RASH!"

Any idea what I should be looking for here? I am not afraid to spend money on this and I do not give a flying fart how they look, but it's vastly more important that I have actual protection rather than marketing hype. I frankly do not have much faith in appearances or manufacturer's reputations, since even reputable manufacturers like Alpinestars occasionally put out substandard equipment, you just probably wouldn't know it until you hit the pavement! I'm hoping for hard experience from somebody in the know.

Thanks guys and gals! You're the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 05:47 PM

I'm no orthopedics expert nor am I a glove expert but my initial thought is you may be asking a question that has a million dollar answer. In other words you may be asking a glove to do something extraordinary and a solution would be worth a lot of money. I'm guessing the physics of a Colles fracture isn't easily overcome by a glove. Otherwise wouldn't Doctors prescribe such gloves for fall prone elderly folks? I understand that you want your hand to slide out instead of planting and breaking your wrist. But the initial impact may be too severe to avoid such a fracture. Again, I don't profess to be an expert but rather thinking out loud.

I will be interested to see if such gloves exist.

EDIT: snowboarding or skateboarding wrist guards may help with your concern. Worn with motorcycle glove with palm sliders the wrist guards may work.

2013 Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS

Last edited by Slayer; 12-06-2015 at 06:02 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 06:31 PM

Garage
No matter what you wear if you put out your hand out to catch yourself while you're failing you run the risk of breaking something like your wrist. I would buy a good pair of armored riding gloves hope for the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

agreed. even using Iron Man's suit you would break your hands and fingers and wrists and such if you land on them a certain way during a fall. in real life, Tony Stark would actually be completely mangled inside of his suit with all the impacts he sustains. i did a lot of research on winter gloves last year before i decided on my current pair and i don't remember reading much about how much protection each provides in case of impact. for the most part they all seem to focus on how they rank in keeping the hands warm and how well they fit and the materials used.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 07:28 AM

I would have to agree with all the previous posters. I do not see how all the glove in the world would completely protect you from wrist and hand fractures in a situation like that. Your body still has to absorb the impact and that is what causes broken bones. That's why it's still possible to receive a concussion or worse even when wearing a good quality helmet.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 07:48 AM

No glove or any other leather you wear will prevent fractures, they are worn to protect against asphalt acne...simple as that.
mikearc095 and mikearc095 like this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 10:07 AM

Garage
I agree as well. Although gloves provide a great deal of protection, they cannot protect you from everything. Your best protection is knowing your accident avoidance maneuvers, these can be learned in basic and advanced motorcycle safety courses. Your second best source is wearing full armored riding gear. If you do go down, don't catch yourself with your hands... Unfortunately, it is an ingrained instinct for most.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode