Winter Stabilizer, or not? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Winter Stabilizer, or not?

So...this debate came up locally and I wanted to throw it out here as I know many, many of you do all your own maintenance. We have a local motorcycle group and there was a heated discussion (let's keep ours lukewarm) about using stabilizer in your gas tank over the winter. Do you? If not, why not... If you do, does it make a noticeable difference or have you just always done it?

Annie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 03:42 PM

Garage
I use a fuel stabilizer over the over the winter as I live in a very humid area, creating moisture and condensation. In addition to burning ethanol free fuel the majority of the time, I don't have any fuel related issues when it's time to bring my bike out of hibernation.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 05:13 PM

Garage
I use Sta-bil in both my bikes over the winter. My garage is tempered but when I open the door to get the snowblower out (you southern folks just google snowblower to see what they are) the heat difference is just right for condensation. It doesn't hurt anything to do so and it's cheap insurance in my point of vue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 05:25 PM
Banned

I use Seafoam year round.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 07:44 AM

I use marine sta-bil. Not sure if the marine formula is really any different than the regular but it advertised as being made especially for ethanol fuels. Ethanol is the worst thing out there for a fuel system when allowed to sit over time. As Corsair said it's cheap insurance. When using it my engines have always started in the spring.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 09:27 AM
Elk

Always use it, sta-bil or seafoam. As was said, cheap insurance. I also fill up the tank at the end of the season too. Less air space for moisture.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

I fill my tank too and make sure it's full if I get out for a winter ride - I never really "put away" my bike. Although, the 6 foot snowbanks we had here in Mass last year say I am lying, and that it was definitely put away last year. I kind of agree with the "cheap insurance" philosophy but my SO seems dead set against them so I thought I might find out more here. Gotta love 95 views and only 5 comments though...

No one hates the stuff?

Annie
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 05:30 PM

Garage
I bought my first bike in 2013 and that winter I didn't put any fuel stabilizer in the tank. It started right up the next spring with no problems. The winter of 2014 I did use a fuel stabilizer and it also fired right up with no problems in the spring. This year I haven't put any in yet because this Ohio winter so far as been fairly warm. I plan on riding tomorrow for the last time so I'll be adding some this weekend. I don't know if it makes a difference or not but I would feel better if I did use it.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 08:57 PM

I have a couple of motorcycles, 4 mowers, and a snow blower. I use Stabil in all of them every winter (spring, summer, fall for the snow blower). Everything starts on the first pull/crank every season. One time my bike sat for a month and a half without Stabil, and it started hard and ran like crap until the old gas was gone.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 06:40 AM
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
Any vehicles with gas in them should have some sort of stabilizer in the gas when not in use for extended periods.
Stabil marine I have found is the best out there. Now, the difference is that fuel injected, computer controlled
bikes may react differently then carborated when being restarted after layaway...

I've never had any problems with cars or bikes running stabil in them. And we have a bunch of stuff that sits.

I use it in my generator and once a year I start it up and run it until the gas is down a bit and refill with fresh
gas and a dose of stabil and it's ready to go until next year. starts up first pull every time.

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode