ride on the shoulder? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
View Poll Results: use the shoulder?
only for breakdowns/emergencies 21 100.00%
yes, but only for fear of my bike's safety in heavy traffic 0 0%
yes, because i can 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

3Likes
  • 2 Post By raulgarzajr.1311
  • 2 Post By RestoRider00
  • 2 Post By dehingst

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

ride on the shoulder?

just wondering how many of you use the shoulder to bypass traffic? here in TX it is illegal to use the shoulder except for emergencies or emergency vehicles and such. is it legal in your state?

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
just wondering how many of you use the shoulder to bypass traffic? here in TX it is illegal to use the shoulder except for emergencies or emergency vehicles and such. is it legal in your state?
I have used the shoulder in traffic. It was 105 and traffic was stopped. I stayed stopped in traffic for 15 min until I started feeling dehydrated. I moved over to shoulder and drank the little water I had which was almost boiling. At that time I got on my bike and went on shoulder to the first exit to a store to get water. I did pass up a cop when I was driving away.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 06:27 AM
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
I would say that was an emergency for sure. No harm done...
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 04:12 PM

Garage
In my area you can't use the shoulder past two hundred yards for passing up other traffic or its improper lane usage with a hefty fine. The shoulder can be used for situations like rauls, vehicle breakdowns or any unforeseen emergency.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 08:24 PM

Garage
I've never passed anyone just to pass them in the emergency lane, once or twice because a sudden stop, damn cell phone user or makeup applier, I digress.... If I'm ever in that big a hurry I can split lanes.... That, in the state of California is neither legal or illegal.... Go figure.... Despite many mistakes conceptions, even amongst my fellow residents, it is not legal... Law a states so in exact verbiage, just that both parties be beware and rider be safe.... Whatever that means lol....

East Bay Rumbler
2000 Purple Roadstar
I.S.R.A. 6026
SCRC (Inactive)

Last edited by East Bay Rumbler; 12-17-2015 at 08:28 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 03:43 AM

Nope, too much debris on the shoulder - who needs nails and screws in your tires? :-)
tgmotoman and tgmotoman like this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 07:15 AM

Here in VA it is illegal as the shoulder is supposed to remain passable for first responders. Personally I would be leary of riding the shoulder simply because of all the trash and crap over there. But given a true emergency I would ride it just as I would in my car.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

just to remind everyone, voting on this poll is purely anonymous. i'm a little surprised that not a single vote yet for either of the bottom 2 options. i see a biker use the shoulder on I-35 here during heavy traffic at least once a month. so maybe it just occurs more with heavy traffic, and i probably see it more than others since Austin is currently listed by Forbes as the 4th worst city for traffic.

Austin, TX - In Photos: 10 U.S. Cities With The Worst Gridlock - Forbes

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 05:06 PM
Premium Member

Location: Apopka Florida, a twist in the road just northwest of Orlando Florida My home for over 30 years
Garage
Here in good old FLA many of the roads have no paved shoulder.
Many a time I've seen people on the grass changing flats day time or night.
The problem (and you can see this plainly during the day) is the fire ant mounds.

Now these little bastards don't care if your young old male female they bite the living
crap out of you. And you do not even know they are on you until they all start biting
at the SAME TIME !

Talk about a one legged indian Ass kickin contest... Not funny one bit.

So riding you bike up the grassy shoulder could have your passenger telling you to
stop cause somethings biting me. And yes they can be kicked up easily. Better stay
in Austin....

2000 Vstar 650 Classic , Firethorn orange Metal flake Urethane, OEM tall Windshield, 47 Harley Tail light mod, progressive springs, hard bags painted to match w/chr. bullet accents Custom Modified rear rack/backrest, Cobra Modified exhaust w/ chrome Pencil tips, Hyper charger kit,
PRV 15, Riser mounted speakers, Chrome levers,Fringe grips, studded Leather bib with pocket, Billet Oil filter relocation kit , 3.5 PMS w/ stock pilots, mains- 122.5, Custom billet t signals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode